Duran Duran - song-by-song rate & discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blame The Machines, May 5, 2019.

1. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

i understand all of the talk that duran duran continues to try to catch a younger audience with more modern production techniques/sounds/producers, but couldn't at least some of that be also due to them actually liking that kind of music/sound and wanting to continue to try new things? it's pretty well known that these guys are just massive fans of music in general, why must they always be tied down to what the fans consider the "classic duran duran" sound, and why does it have to be anyone else's definition of that sound as opposed to the four musicians making it?

i am a fan of lots of different artists across different styles/types of music, and if i want to write/record an indie/noise rock kinda track using real instruments, i do.
    and if i want to write/record a retro/synth/80s pop kinda thing using a computer/sampler/etc, i will do that too.

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Oh this is so true. I call it the 'chucka-chucka' which is about all he ever does.

c-eling likes this.
  3. Actually, I have always thought the real meaning is that the song is about a woman who gets plenty of physical action, but what (all) she really wants is more -- i.e., something more meaningful.

SSB

4. fictionalsounds

from an article about nile in guitar player magazine :agree:
    blame bernard!!

Many of Rodgers’ chart-toppers were recorded with a well-worn, one-of-a-kind white 1980 Fender Stratocaster retrofitted with a 1959 maple neck. Appropriately nicknamed “The Hitmaker,” Rodgers acquired the guitar from a small shop in Miami, Florida, after Chic bassist and partner Bernard Edwards urged him to trade in his Gibson Barney Kessel at a time when Rodgers was transitioning genres. The guitar, which Rodgers claims sounds like no other Strat (though the Fender Custom Shop began offering a limited-edition Nile Rodgers Hitmaker Stratocaster in 2014), was pivotal in the almost overnight development of his now-signature funky style. Immediately after acquiring the Hitmaker, Rodgers immersed himself in the art of funk rhythm guitar, which he learned from Edwards, who called it “chucking.” Within a few days, he had the technique down pat. According to Rodgers, Edwards, who originally played guitar, showed him how to keep a steady stream of alternate-picked sixteenth-notes flowing with his right hand while accenting single-notes or chords with his left hand. This is achieved by applying left-hand pressure to sound notes or chords, or by partially releasing pressure to create muted string “chucks.”

enro99, Chris Bernhardt and Curveboy like this.
  5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Oh my GOD...that is hysterical. I've been calling it "chucka-chucka" since Notorious came out.

6. Flaky Bandit

Flaky Bandit Forum Resident

Just joined up to say I really appreciate and enjoyed reading this thread.
    I'm currently self isolating with what is hopefully just a bad cold and to alleviate my boredom have been revisiting the songs I used to love as a teen.

Playing all my old Duran songs prompted me to Google for a DD forum and I found this amazing site and I have spent the last 24 hours reading, agreeing, disagreeing and laughing at some of the comments.

Thank you!

7. Flaky Bandit

I always thought Flute Interlude was a wry musical commentary on Arcadia/Power Station. The pretty fey flute melody frolicking like Bambi's mum in a beautiful forest, then getting clobbered over the head by some Andy Taylor RAWK!

Guapito and Max Florian like this.
  8. Flaky Bandit

This made me laugh out loud. The thought of Nick whipping his shirt off and trying to impress Debbie with his Andy Warhol like frame! :D

fsutall likes this.
  9. fictionalsounds

hoping we have a handful of new tracks to review later this spring/summer!!

Flaky Bandit likes this.
  10. Adegan

Adegan Forum Resident

Remember, this is Duran Duran we're talking about. I can't see them releasing something until probably September. Plus they're doing some summer concerts and I highly doubt they'll be promoting the new album then - I'd be surprised if they played a new track or two from the album as a taster.

Flaky Bandit and Max Florian like this.
  11. americanscientist

americanscientist Forum Resident

There will also be new Andy Taylor music this year so this board should be very active again in 2020.

12. fictionalsounds

agreed. wishful thinking as far as my would-be timeline. but at least they are working on something.

13. fictionalsounds

i watched some of his mtv/new years eve 1987 performance on youtube last weekend just out of curiosity, almost hoping it would be better than i expected. but it was hard to watch. exactly as i remembered. he had really lost the plot as far as doing something interesting.

14. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Couldn't care less about Andy's solo work(s). But I am looking forward to new music from Duran Duran.

omikron and fictionalsounds like this.
  15. Thorpy

Thorpy Forum Resident

Have been revisiting the mostly hated 'Liberty' album during my DD listening period while we're on lockdown here in the UK...it's still not a particularly good record (apart from the outstanding Serious and My Antartica) but here's a suggested new order for the tracks to help you enjoy it a lot more hopefully:

1) Violence Of Summer
    2) Venice Drowning
    3) My Antartica
    4) Serious
    5) First Impression
    6) Can You Deal With It
    7) Hothead
    8) Read My Lips
    9) Downtown
    10) All Along The Water
    11) Liberty

Thoughts? Did it work better for you? :wave:

16. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Interesting how Liberty becomes almost like a coda track and seems to work well in that role. To your point, there isn't much that can improve this batch but I like the restructuring.

And in other news for the group, John Taylor has recovered from the coronavirus. This is obviously good news for the future of the band and good news for John and simply life in general!

Duran Duran bassist John Taylor reveals coronavirus diagnosis, recovery

Elliott908, JeffMo and Thorpy like this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

No, I still dislike that. I agree with your two faves but would add in title track to the top tier.

LP:
    1. Violence of Summer
    2. Liberty
    3. Serious
    4. My Antarctica

1. First Impression
    2. All Along The Water
    3. Can You Deal With It?
    4. Venice Drowning

Thorpy and theholygoof like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That must have been Warren Cuccurullo! :bdance:

Uther likes this.
  19. americanscientist

Wishing JT a speedy recovery...

As for Liberty, the bones of solid album were clearly there based on listening to the Didn’t Anyone Tell You demos.

This one has a nice Big Thing vibe:

My running order would be:

First Impression (edited down to 4 minutes)
    Liberty
    All Along The Water
    Serious
    My Antarctica

Can You Deal With It?
    Violence of Summer
    Read My Lips
    Venice Downing
    Downtown

Hothead should never be heard from again.

Thorpy and omikron like this.
  20. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I never really cared much for DD without Andy Taylor.

21. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Thanks for proposing this! Never thought about a resequencing. You do some interesting things, but I think cutting out a few of the tracks like Jeffmo789 did makes for a strong album. I really liked that Only For Me demo, AmericanScience -- never heard that before, very cool!

Thorpy likes this.
  22. americanscientist

Glad you enjoyed it.

Here are the others:

Dream Nation:

My Family: Duran Duran- My Family (From Didn`t Anybody Tell You?)

Bottleneck: Duran Duran-Bottleneck (From didn't anybody Tell You?)

Second Alibi (which became Read My Lips): Duran Duran-Second Alibi (From Didn`t Anybody Tell You?)

Money On Your Side: Duran Duran- Money On Your Side (From Didin`t Anybody Tell You?)

In-between Women: Duran Duran- In Between Women (From Didn`t Anybody Tell You?)

theholygoof likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

24. americanscientist

The pandemic has given us some nice updates about DD15 as well as bass lessons from John himself!

Here is what we can expect based on various interviews and posts over the past month:

1. New album will almost certainly be out in 2021 now.
    2. 8-9 songs produced by Erol Alkan, 2 with Giorgio Moroder and 3 with Mark Ronson.
    3. Most of the guitar on the album was done by Graham Coxon of Blur!
    4. One of the Ronson tracks will feature Lykke Li.
    5. The finished tracks will be mixed by Spike Stent over the next few weeks.
    6. Once they can resume work, they have 2-3 weeks left of work in the rest of the album, including finished lyrics from Simon for a few tracks.

Dan Steely, enro99, Freek999 and 6 others like this.
  25. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I always think of early Duran when a certain guitar effect turns up in Girls & Boys,