Duran Duran - The Reflex. Apparently their biggest worldwide hit. What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

It's about sex. Plain and simple. That's what I always read out of that song, anyways.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Nowhere near as god as "Save A Prayer".

AveryKG and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

LOVE The Reflex, more than either singles ahead of it and agree it should have been the lead single. It’s not my all-time fave D2 single though.

I disagree with any notions of the first two, this, or the next being their ‘last good albums’. My fave D2 album is the Wedding album.

carlwm and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I dislike The Reflex, but it's always nice to be reminded of Tom Hibbert. He is still missed! :)

5. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

That was an interesting week for albums! Thanks for sharing. I chucked all my old Smash Hits. Shame.

I definitely think they felt the pressure with Seven. I like it but I do think a lot of the material sounds a little flat - like it was overworked. Union is the exception and the remix of The Reflex is certainly a sharper sound.

Eric_Generic and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That had no business being on debut album here in US - totally stands out and ruins flow.

altaeria, Bobby Morrow and Man at C&A like this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I agree with all of this except "Snake" - hated that song back then and still do. While I love "New Moon" I do agree the Reflex (remix) should have been lead single.

AFOS and LeBon Bush like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You must be the first person ever to feel that way! :D

I became a Duran fan in 1985 and knew "The Reflex" from the video. "Ragged Tiger" was the first DD album I bought and when I heard that version of "Reflex", I thought "what the feck is this???"

The album version seemed so much less energetic and catchy!

The remixed "Reflex" remains arguably my favorite DD song...

gja586 and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Pretty brutal review of the Stones, too!

Neonbeam, Eric_Generic and LeBon Bush like this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I don't think it has aged as well as many of their other hits, but it's still a solid tune. As much as most of their videos were played on MTV, this one seemed like it was off the charts with how often it was played and how popular it was.

11. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Agreed - Snake is mediocre at best. (I'm Lookin' For) Cracks In The Pavement would've made a much stronger single.

JeffMo likes this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It's a tuff call...
    you see, my local 'new-wave' station (WLIR) HAD been playing the album version for a good while before the re-mix came out...
    Then again... I liked what Nile had done, separating tracks, so you could hear the horns, and other 'things' from the original..
    So... count me as one who enjoys both versions!

altaeria and Oatsdad like this.
  13. Oatsdad

I always heard the wave that splashes the audience was supposed to represent all the spooge that the bandmembers expelled over the years.

That was the word on the playground, at least! :D

LeBon Bush likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

A girlfriend at the time thought this album was too samey sounding, and I couldn't disagree! A tighter 9 song album that featured moody "Tiger Tiger", "The Seventh Stranger" and "Secret Oktober" along with singles "Reflex (remix)", "Is There Something" and "New Moon" would have improved things.

Curiosity likes this.
  15. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

Reflex is a great song, and I like it a lot.
    My favorite Duran songs are
    Come Undone
    Ordinary World

groovelocked, bob60 and carlwm like this.
  16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yes the video was huge - as with the song though they had much better videos. Next one up - "Wild Boys" AKA Duran go Mad Max" was almost as big but more interesting

17. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It’s ok.

Just happen to like almost all of their other hits better, with the possible exception of A View To A Kill.
    It’s just not much of a tune and relies too much on gimmicks.

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I like Wild Boys a lot better nowadays.

19. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I agree. Catchy song for sure. The Reflex does sound more dated than some of their other hit songs, which probably held up better with the passage of time. I prefer Rio or Planet Earth as Duran's hit singles. To me, it is similar with A View to a Kill. View also has not held up well to age, but some of their other material is quite good.

In the Reflex, the yi-yis are somewhat repetitive and take away from the song. However, the video for the song is fun and still holds up as enjoyable. I was surprised this was their biggest song. I have the Seven album and never cared for the album mix of the song, it just sounds flat to me. The single mix is overall better. I had the 12 inch on cassette at some point.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  20. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I like Radio Ga Ga, but yes, we all made fun of it as well.

21. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

It's a long way from The Reflex to my tastes as a middle aged grump, but gosh darn I used to love that song when it first came out... and still get a nostalgic shiver down my spine when I hear any version of it - album version or any of the single remixes.

skisdlimit, altaeria and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I think it’s a perfect stray single.
    Very much a transition between Rio and 7.

23. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

It's interesting to hear a US perspective on Duran Duran. In the UK, the quality of the songs was essentially irrelevant as the records sold almost exclusively to pre-teen girls, and the main reason their fortunes faded a little post-Rio was more likely to be their haircuts, and the prominent loveliness of the Wham boys. I can assure you that nobody in this country was having earnest conversations about the quality of the music. We might have realised that the snazzy Chic remix of the Reflex was a bit more like it, after a couple of confusing singles. The video was good as well, showing the boys on-stage grinning nicely, before that cartoon wave got them,

In retrospect, it seems quite quaint, that so much money could have been risked on Simon's voice and the band's flimsy songwriting department. Within a couple of months of the Reflex, Trevor Horn would be having number ones and Stock, Aitken and Waterman would get their first top 5 single with manufactured records that anybody could have fronted. Pop music became much less interesting.

pwhytey and Eric_Generic like this.
  24. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

Side one is just smash hit after smash hit. I Take The Dice and Cracks In The Pavement would be most bands' lifetime achievement hit single. These guys were hitmakers. No wonder it was hard to decide!

Freek999 likes this.
  25. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I agree with Duran Duran and Def Leppard. And sadly, both bands started pandering to their new female fans, to their musical detriment. But when did U2 ever have "giggly nerdy" female fans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.