Duran Duran - The Reflex. Apparently their biggest worldwide hit. What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

A bad song on a bad album.

SJP and Bluepicasso like this.
  2. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Awesome song. One of my top three Duran Duran songs. In no particular order: Notorious, The Reflex, and Wild Boys.

3. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

The worst single of their classic period. They had too work at it though, the album version isn't too bad, but the single re-mix is horrible.

4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Those two later career songs are my favourites as well.
    I love great singles bands and Duran Duran are up there with the best.
    The Reflex remix/single I loved at the time, yes it has dated but it still sounds great. I loved the video as well.
    Simon Le Bon wasn't the greatest singer or dancer, but he was a fabulous all prancing front man.

I really miss those old school pop stars...

5. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

At the time I felt Seven was mostly a let down and didn't really listen to the album much, but then again, anything they might have released as a follow up would have probably been seen as a disappointment. I did like The Reflex and I guess I was mostly familiar with the single remix since it was played so much on MTV. I had a roommate who played the 12" dance mix (which had even more why-yi-yi's) incessantly and remember not really liking. In retrospect, though, I find I like Seven and all of it's related singles much better now than I did when it was released.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    carlwm likes this.
  6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

On the US reissue in 1983.
    It actually doesn’t have anything to do with the debut and was recorded at the end of 1982.

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Good song but probably my least favorite of the singles from the classic lineup. I much prefer the other US number 1, A View To a Kill. Seven gets a bad rap. I think it’s a great album but it’s nearly impossible to follow up an album as good as Rio.

carlwm likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yep. Yet it's there on some cd versions of the debut as well. Weird.

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I put "it's ok"
    I don't mind it, it's a bit of fun.
    Surprised it's their biggest hit though

10. Django

Django Forum Resident

The reflex was actually the first record I bought. It's a good song but in hindsight it wouldn't be among my of favorite Duran tracks. I like the bassline & guitar parts.

11. I considered all three of those as immediate likes. The ones requiring work weee Unionnif the Snake, Notorious, and View To a Kill.

bob60 likes this.
  12. There is a chemical reason for that.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  13. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Coke?

14. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I voted love it...I bought the 12" LP at a record store with the shrink still on...Nick is my favorite of the band members.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The artwork for whole Ragged Tiger era was superb. So luxurious.

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Live 1984. Young Durranies on a power run.

Song4U likes this.
  17. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

They had the best hair lol

18. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

It's cheesy trash that I always skip. This was the beginning of their decline. Watch Arena or As the Lights Go Down. I wanted to see a band; not some stupid stage show with backup singers. They were actually a very good new wave band from 1980-1983 but nothing lasts forever.

Now don't get me wrong, I still find things I like about the "Seven" era (Tiger Tiger is an amazing track and there's a few others) but overall it just felt like a huge step down.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    MekkaGodzilla, skisdlimit and SJP like this.
  19. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I hate it. One of the most annoying choruses I've ever heard

Carlox, SJP and SoporJoe like this.
  20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It’s not as if I don’t like em.
    I’m just saying that the hooks aren’t there right in your face. I love all three of em!

21. Praveen

Praveen Forum Resident

The Reflex is my favorite Duran Duran single mainly because I remember the video at the time and it was pretty fun for the time and was on heavy rotation on MTV. It also symbolized the early big 80s sound which was the 83-85 era. Like Relax, it has that very commercial easy to listen to and have fun sound.

22. Praveen

Praveen Forum Resident

I like that part where they go whyiyiyiyi. heh heh

Funny is that idiotic review of I want to Break Free by that hibble guy. Great single.

Song4U likes this.
  23. Definitely not Pepsi.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  24. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

hated the album version when it came out.
    Nile remix + live video made it bit more tolerable but still inferior to both 'Union of The Snake' (best/fave song on the album) & 'The Seventh Stranger'.
    their 1st 2 albums were underrated new wave gems... with the right album, they 'could' ve been the biggest band in the world as they had all the momentum at the time but...
    with this dud, they just ended up being what they are. it's a trend they would continue to suffer throughout their career...great comeback album to regain momentum then dud follow up to kill it.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. So ‘80s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.