Duran Duran - The Reflex. Apparently their biggest worldwide hit. What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

While not my absolute favorite Duran Duran song, the single mix of "The Reflex" is in my top three. "Notorious" remains my very favorite, along with "A View to a Kill."

davers and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

By late 1983, new wave was pretty much dead. Hip-hop was in.

3. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

I always hated this song, and Wild Boys. I loved the first 4 albums, but those 2 singles were just garbage to my ears.

Aftermath, Carlox and SJP like this.
  4. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Yep, this ^. But then, 'Save A Prayer' is the only Duran Duran song I actually like.

Talisman954 likes this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Durans first two albums were incredibly crafted units. One could say that the third album from Duran "Tiger" would be a dud.

Dud or not I realize Tiger was not equal to Durans first two efforts but all in all I just think of Tiger as a transition into the mid to later 80's pop sound. The first two albums were more new wave, Tiger was new wave with a more pop edge than its two older siblings.

Carlox likes this.
  6. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Can't stand The Reflex but they had some other great singles

7. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

It took me a while to really "get" Tiger, and my perception of "The Reflex" as uncomfortably corny was a big part of that... but the single mix broke the song, and the whole album, wide open for me and now it's top-tier in my mind.

8. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Annoying.

Aftermath and Michael like this.
  9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Kinda weird how there’s a whopping full three years between Tiger and Notorious, even when you take the side projects into account. Even Dire Straits didn’t manage that back then.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not among general - ie, white - audiences in the US.

Rap wouldn't go mainstream until 1986...

Witchy Woman likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Yeah, but DD had "Arena" in 1984. Sure, it's a live album, but it had a big new single via "Wild Boys".

Also, 1985 had "View to a Kill".

2 singles and live material doesn't = a full studio album, but at least DD had new material in those 2 "studio album free" years...

ARK likes this.
  12. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

New Moon on Monday was back then and remains my favorite of the singles from this record.

Carlox, Talisman954 and Dudley Morris like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Though I prefer "Reflex", I also liked "New Moon" an awful lot back in the day! Definitely the best song on "Seven" in terms of its album version.

"Reflex" tops it in remix form, but if that didn't exist, "New Moon" would be the album's best.

Never understood why the band seemed to hate "New Moon"...

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love The Reflex but it's not my favorite. : )

16. Michael

really? why? no pressure just curious...

17. Michael

yes, and Hungry Like The Wolf and Rio (good melody) are great songs as well...

18. Say what you will about Duran Duran, but as a 'sound' & a video 'The Reflex' sure set the tone for the mid-1980's. Fer sure. IMHO, of course...
    :shtiphat:

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  19. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I love “The Reflex”- my friend and I were so excited in high school that DD finally had a #1 hit (in the U.S.)—only to see its brief reign fall to this song we’d barely heard on the radio at the time, “When Doves Cry.”

20. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I guess it's that warbling vocal part, the drums, and the whole production just hits my ears wrong.

Bluepicasso likes this.
  21. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

good point - I remember now, it really was like Prince knocking them off the pedestal, making Duran Duran seem old hat kind of. I was older but it seemed like the teenagers were "over" DD and looking for a new kick. And Prince certainly had the right stuff at that moment.

22. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I'm guessing it's got to be the remix since I've never heard the album version myself, and everything described in this thread sounds like the version I had on Decade (and heard on the radio).

23. John54

John54 Senior Member

It's ok I suppose, but really I'm more or less neutral towards The Reflex.

Favourite Duran Duran songs, no particular order: Seventh Stranger, Skin Trade, American Science.

Max Florian likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

... but some of these duds ("Big Thing") are great while some of the combacks ("Astronaut") are duds! Complicated band, Duran Duran! :evil:

Max Florian, mr_spenalzo and YMC4 like this.
  25. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

This is as I remember. My friends also treated Radio Ga Ga as a joke. And Freddie Mercury's increasingly obvious gayness and the band's move away from hard rock did NOT play well to my high school friends or, more generally, American audiences of the 80s. But Smash Hits was a British magazine and I never got the sense that Queen's career stalled in the same way in the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.