Duran Duran - The Reflex. Apparently their biggest worldwide hit. What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

gotcha. : )

2. fer2

fer2 Forum Resident

Flex ... Flex ... Flex !

I love it but I REALLY like the album Paper Gods, it is one of their best.

Malcolm Crowne and Bluepicasso like this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

"Come Undone" and "Ordinary World" would be in my top 5/10 Duran singles. A shame the album wasn't that great. They had a string of great singles in the 90's. "Perfect Day" is another

telecode101 likes this.
  4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

It's very hard to find a nice 80's or 90's CD of the debut that 1. Sounds good and 2. Includes "To The Shore" which was removed to make way for ITSISK

LeBon Bush and Neonbeam like this.
  5. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

You also need to factor in Arcadia and The Power Station as two quasi Duran Duran albums. Had they not split we would have gotten a killer Duran album in 1985. Still they weren't exactly prolific '83 - '85

Curveboy and groovelocked like this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Power Station? A "quasi DD album"? :hurl:

8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Well perhaps not:D Not a fan?

9. davers

davers Forum Resident

Sure it is. Just like the other half of the band doing the Arcadia album. Two very different records, to be sure.

Colocally likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Let's review history a bit: By late 1983, new wave was over. The quirky new-wave sound popularized by Devo, the English bands, and especially ones from Los Angeles, was over with. Evidence this with what was popular at the time, ever with White audiences: Stray Cats, Yes, Men At Work, Joe Jackson (who turned into a lounge lizard), Van Halen, Lionel Richie, The Romantics, Michael Jackson, Prince, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Billy Joel...even the bands that you would think would be new wave were suddenly sounding more rock. The new-wavers were still there, but they were dwindling in popularity. They had all peaked in the summer of '83, and America was ready for rock again. Soon, even Sheena Easton would abandon new wave, as her last new wave hit was "Telefone (Long Distance Love-Affair)", and that was also in late 1983.

For the R&B side, they were trying to capitalize on new wave a bit too late. Shalamar had a major hit with "Dead Giveaway", but that was pretty much their commercial end apart from one or two more R&B hits. As much as some R&B artists may have dabbled in new wave, by late '83, they were all back in standard R&B mode.

I said hip-hop. I stand by that. By mid-1983, many White artists, as well as Black artists, were remixing their music to sound more hip-hop. Remember that the breakdancing fad was in full swing, hence "The Reflex" remix, and even Hall & Oates' "Adult Education". A year later, they would still be capitalizing on hip-hop by teaming up with Arthur Baker with singles from their "Big Bam Boom" album.

I know you love to argue, but you aren't gonna win this one!

51IS likes this.
  11. Grant

For me, the outstanding song is "The Union Of The Snake". It's the R&B vibe that I like about it.

Talisman954 likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Was it that obvious? :angel:
    Even if we ignore the fact that Robert Palmer co-wrote many songs on the album, nothing.... and I repeat nothing.... that doesn't include Simon's vocals could ever be called "a quasi Duran Duran album". That Power Station album is awful. And hasn't aged well. :evil:

bob60 and Talisman954 like this.
  13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Like many, I saw that Reflex video about 700 times a day on MTV. I liked it ok, but I hated the snare sound. Hated. It was like someone whacking an empty 55 gallon drum.
    Someone played me the 12", which was even worse, six minutes of why-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi that made me reach for my revolver.
    Finally got the LP. Placed the needle down, expecting to need Excedrin Hospital Strength to quiet my head pain---what? What's this? THIS SOUNDS GREAT. Not 5 reverbs on everything. Tighter. Leaner. Yes!
    Never listened to the single again.

To my ears, at least part of it must be about coke:
    "I'm on a ride and I wanna get off
    But they won't slow down the roundabout
    I sold the Renoir and the TV set
    Don't wanna be around when this gets out"

Maybe "the reflex" is that temptation or inability to resist, or that ADHD impulsivity that gets you in such hot water.

Dan

Grant and Max Florian like this.
  14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I prefer Arcadia but liked some of the Power Station stuff. "Some Like It Hot" is a great single.

Yost, enro99, pwhytey and 2 others like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Favs

1. Save A Prayer
    2. Rio
    3. View to a Kill
    4. Ordinary World
    5. Hungry Like the Wolf

PTgraphics likes this.
  16. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

A bit different topic: whenever I heard Madonna's music, I think about Duran Duran. DD must have been an influence on Madonna?

17. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I also like the song Perfect Day and the cool acoustic version of that too. I also like A View To A Kill along with Ordinary World and Rio.

Bluepicasso likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the comment to which I replied wanted us to semi-ignore the side projects.

Those definitely helped keep DD in the spotlight even if the band themselves didn't do a lot over that period...

AFOS likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I'm the one in this discussion who loves to argue. Pot, kettle, Grant! :D

I don't hear one iota of "hip hop" in "The Reflex"!

Colocally and Record Rotator like this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The Power Station and Arcadia were enjoyable side Duran efforts.

51IS, LeBon Bush and Curveboy like this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

22. Grant

You can't see the breakdancers during the middle breakdown part? I can.

23. The Judas Priest review made me smile....
    Regarding The Reflex....I'm stereotypical that I prefer their early singles/albums.
    The 83 to 85 years passed me by.
    I thought Notorious was a welcome return to form.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I always thought Notorious was more 'plastic soul' than a return to New Wave. Certainly Seven is closer to Duran Duran Classic than Notorious was.

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Exactly

Curveboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.