Dusty Springfield "In Memphis" sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rednoise, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Congratulations yall, you just talked me into getting my 6th copy of Dusty in Memphis, SACD this time... :)

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

If you love this album I would also recommend the Shelby Lynne album Just A Little Lovin'. Analogue Productions has it available on SACD or vinyl. It's a tribute album to Dusty and I enjoy it as much as the original.

3. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Thanks but yeah, I bought Shelby's tribute when it came out, the CD + 2 song DVD version. A mighty fine album for sure. Haven't got the SACD yet though...

4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The Just a Little Lovin' LP is stunning.

sjaca, GyroSE and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It sure is. I bought the 33 rpm when it was released and then the 45 rpm when it was released. I love Shelby Lynne. What a talent!

GyroSE and e.s. like this.
  6. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

When people refer to the "EU Mercury CD", do they mean the one with mono bonus tracks and the green-framed cover with a close-up of Dusty (not the surprised "hands on face" pose)? I nearly bought one yesterday but thought I'd better hold off until I was sure. It was claiming to be an SHM-CD.

Otherwise I'll go searching for the AP SACD. Don't have an SACD player, but I'm assuming it's still worth getting for the red book layer.

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

For CD, the 1992 Atlantic/Rhino release sounds just fine. Inglot/Hersch remaster. They also did the 1999 single disc remaster, which I'll A/B today. I seem to remember not liking it.

3 bonus cuts on the 1992 CD, 14 on the 1999.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Has anybody here got the recent vinyl reissue of Dusty in Memphis? If they have, do they have any comments on the sound and pressing quality as well as the packaging? Thanks.

Dusty In Memphis [VINYL]:Amazon.co.uk:Music

9. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

The 1992 is definitely better than the 1999, sound-wise. And the 1999 bonuses are irrelevant.

10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Seems nobody here has it. I asked the same question a week or so back, with zero response.

quixotictic and Man at C&A like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My local HMV doesn't have it in, which surprises me because it's a classic album and they sell a lot of vinyl. I'm hoping it's a good one as I'm not happy with the CD I have and it's the only 60s Dusty album I've not managed to find a nice original of. I have had a couple of crackly ones through my hands but didn't keep them.

12. quixotictic

quixotictic New Member

I, too, would like to know about the sound quality (and source, if this has been disclosed). I was ready to order it from Amazon US but shortly before the 20th of January it was designated as unavailable. I wonder, then, if there are plans to release it in the states—let's hope not for Record Store Day as a limited run!

13. I found an original Japanese pressing last year in superb condition and although I would say there is a little 'distance' between Dusty's voice and the musicians it by no means detracts from the music or the performances. Simply a piece of magic. Her voice comes through loud and very clear.

crispi likes this.
  14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

It's available from the Universal store for $22.99.

quixotictic likes this.
  15. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I don't have it but wonder if it's the vinyl equivalent of the much despised Mercury CD. The label is given as UMC. Stands for...?

16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Is that a recent release?

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's in all the shops at the moment. I paused to check it out.

18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Hmm. That could be a bad sign.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

21. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I have to be careful here, because I'm hypothesizing. A bit further up this thread I asked if the much despised Mercury CD was the same as the one I have recently seen in a shop which has a different cover - close-up of Dusty with green border, as opposed to the usual hands-on-face-in-surprise picture - and features mono versions of most of the tracks as bonuses. No one replied to this, so I'm already on shaky ground. Then I looked at the Amazon link for the vinyl release we are now discussing and I see it has the same close-up-with-green-border cover and some reference in the track listing to "stereo" versions. Based on that, I'm wondering if it is the vinyl equivalent of the CD I saw in the shop and which may or may not be the Mercury edition (which everyone says is awful).

Sorry to be so long-winded!

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The green cover is what the UK had originally and the cover with her looking dead straight into the camera with a white top is the US/Australian cover.

[​IMG]

Our weird US/UK hybrid

crispi and e.s. like this.
  23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The no-noised Mercury cd is this one from 2002.
    Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis

24. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I totally agree. I only have the AP 33 1/3 RPM and it's really stellar IMHO- I wonder if the 45 RPM version betters the former that much?

Om likes this.
  25. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Only omission is that the UK bonus track is missing from all the premium priced 'audiophile' products.