Dusty Springfield

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Thank you.

Was on about all here recordings need to be done,but i have some of the philips cds from the 90s that some have wrote about on this thread.

2. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

Anyone heard this current issue with no bonus tracks? same as the last rhino? or a new mastering?

[​IMG]

3. Idler

Idler Active Member

Does anyone have any comments regarding the 2013 release of the American album of "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me"?

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

5. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

jsayers likes this.
  6. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

I was looking at ordering the CD Faithful from Real Gone Music but I now realise I already have all the tracks on the following CDs listed below. Maybe when it goes cheap I may add it to my collection, but at the moment I'll pass (unless the sound is any better).

Most of the tracks are bonus cuts on the Rhino edition of Dusty In Memphis, which is still available cheap (used) on amazon.
    The edition of See All Her Faces that I own is now quite hard to found and very costly on amazon but I noticed that there is another listing on amazon here but this could be a manufactured on demand version (not sure).
    GOLD is also still available.

[​IMG]

Tracklist:
    1. I'll Be Faithful
    2. Live Here With You
    3. Haunted
    4. Someone Who Cares
    5. Make It With You
    6. Love Shine Down
    7. I Believe In You
    8. Have A Good Life Baby
    9. Natchez Trace
    10. All The King's Horses
    11. You've Got A Friend
    12. I Found My Way Through The Darkness
    13. Nothing Is Forever

[​IMG]
    Dusty In Memphis - Deluxe Edition (Rhino)
    All as bonus tracks on the Rhino CD

Make It With You
    Love Shine Down
    Live Here With You
    Natchez Trace
    All The King's Horses
    I'll Be Faithful
    Have A Good Life Baby
    You've Got A Friend
    I Found My Way Through The Darkness

[​IMG]
    Dusty Springfield - See All Her Faces (Philips 2002)

Someone Who Cares
    Nothing Is Forever
    Haunted [bonus track]

[​IMG]
    Dusty Springfield - GOLD

I Believe In You [Single Version]

keyXVII, bluemooze and jsayers like this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I received Faithful yesterday and listened today. It sounds good, definitely not a "modern" sounding CD. All the tracks are stereo.

MadamAdam and bluemooze like this.
  8. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

woke up this morning and needed a Dusty fix....looked up What Good is I love You" on you tube, sat back with the cans on and my jaw dropped...A re-record of the instrumental track....horror of horrors!!!!.........gone was Bernard Purdie's absolutely kick ass drum part.. replaced with a sterile uninspired track!!!! Anybody know whats up with that, and more importantly, where can I find THE ORIGINAL? MUCHO THANKS

9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The story of how "What Good Is I Love You?" ended up with two drum tracks is told in detail in Paul Howes' book The Complete Dusty Springfield.

The short version is that the song was originally recorded with Ellie Greenwich on vocals and Bernard Purdie on drums. When Jerry Wexler took an interest in the song, Dusty was sent a copy of the multitracks with the expectation that she would replace Greenwich's vocal with her own. That she did, but she also replaced Purdie's drum track with another drummer. The Purdie version was released in mono on the US single. The non-Purdie version was released in stereo on the UK album.

What's not clear to me is whether the Purdie version has been reissued anywhere. The book suggests it's on all US releases ("Only the mono master has been issued in the States"), but the US CDs I have with the song (A Brand New Me, The Dusty Springfield Anthology) seem to have the same stereo version as my UK CDs.

10. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

A quick google has shown me that Mike Rashkow, the co-writer and producer of the track, died in 2013. I wonder if he, like Jeff Barry with the Faithful LP, had his own copy of the mixes. I'd love it for the Single mix to be reissued on CD, and perhaps even a more balanced stereo mix (drums centred) made, if the multis still exist. I was hoping such a remix might be a bonus track on the Faithful CD - the song fits rather well with the Barry produced tracks, only the 60s style "drums in one channel" stereo mix clashes with the more integrated Faithful mixes.

11. smallworld

The original is on YouTube at least...

bluemooze likes this.
  12. smallworld

I've only just discovered that the version of "Little by Little" on Classics & Collectibles fades earlier than it should - the same goes for the versions on Gold (2008) and Goin' Back (2011), all of which fade on Dusty singing "all right". These versions run between 2 minutes 24.5 seconds and 2 minutes 25.5 seconds, if one removes the silence at the beginning and the end of the tracks. In contrast, the same mix runs to 2 minutes 31.5 secounds and fades on Dusty's "yeah" on Jon Savage's 1966 The Year the Decade Exploded (2015). Much ado about nothing some would say, but it jumped out at me after hearing the earlier fade for years and years. The Ace mastering also had a touch more dynamic range (DR10) relative to the Universal masterings (DR7/8).

bluemooze likes this.
  13. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I've discovered a few tracks by other sixties artists that have longer fades on older random compilation albums than their own remastered collections; further to that, when I've checked against the original vinyl single the compilation version is the truer length...

smallworld likes this.
  14. Marry a Carrot

The long version is also on Mercury's You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (this one).

bluemooze likes this.
  15. smallworld

Does it feature the full backing vocal overdubs?

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Marry a Carrot

Yes.

bluemooze and smallworld like this.
  17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Dusty's discography is so complicated...

Forlornicus and danasgoodstuff like this.
  18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Man, "Stay Awhile" is an AMAZING Record. They out-do Phil Spector on that one and the drumming by Bobby Graham is incredible. Very rarely do you get to let loose like that on a commercial record.

bluemooze, Bob J and keyXVII like this.
  19. smallworld

Does anyone own an original, vinyl copy of "Sometimes Like Butterflies"? It's an odd mix on CD (a needle drop because the master was unavailable)

20. smallworld

Apart from surface noise, this sounds much the same mix.

Is it mono? Is it stereo? Is it fake stereo? Whatever, it sounds odd to these ears - a track from 1985 no less.

21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Dusty wasn't happy with the record. Peter Stringfellow (famous uk club owner) was a huge fan and set up a record label specifically to sign Dusty. This was the result and they quickly fell out.
    He lost a load of money and learned an important lesson, never work with your heroes.

22. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I probably should not write this....
    But, I have Dusty in Memphis and love that CD. I recently bought this compilation (without having researched or heard it) and am nearly through CD1. It’s annoying me so much I can scarcely bear it.

The strings and piano make me want to break this CD into a million pieces! So annoying and ridiculous. Part of me is saying to chalk it up to arrangements that simply didn’t age well. But it’s not (only) that. It’s like the arranger fell more in love with themselves than with Dusty’s voice. And the piano is like a (very) bad hotel piano bar.

The lyrics of so many of the songs are awful and repetitive. And each song is like a simile of a popular style - you can almost hear some sleazy producer saying on the talkback, Dusty, can you try to sing it more like <fill in the blank>? I look at all the accomplished writers on this Cd#1 - boggles my mind.

Awful: Tracks 3, 5 (B. Manilow), 7, 8 (Bacharach), 11, 13 (terrible accompaniment), 14, 17 ( I see the pattern: people trying to reproduce 60s in the 90s)(and the awful lyric), 18, 19 (ibid #17), 22 ( MIDI pan flute anyone? What if I throw in a rapping Dusty? No? I didn’t think so)

Tolerable: Tracks 1, 2, 10 (R. Newman), 16 ( only the French part, because the repetition is less annoying), 20 ( why could no one indulge this a little more?)

Should have been better: Tracks 4, 6, 9, 12(kill that snare drum!), 15, 16 (nah, it’s annoying in French, too), 21 ( maybe it’s partially you, Carole King)

Argh. I can’t tell you how much this CD irritates me. Poor Dusty! That voice did not deserve this cheapening. So mishandled, so mistreated, ...

Disc 2 will have to wait another day, until I get this taste outta my mouth.

23. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

There is no live at the BBC cd release, correct ?

24. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I love most of the songs you've torn to shreds in your review. But hey, to each his own and your mileage may vary, etc.

However, I agree with you on the quoted point above. There was a big chunk of the 70s and early 80s where that's probably EXACTLY what producers were trying to do - get Dusty to sound like Fill In The Blank.

In fact, Neil Tennant of Pet Shop Boys has said in several interviews that Dusty was a bit battle weary when she first met them, and was shocked when she asked "so what do you want me to sound like" and they answered, "well, Dusty Springfield." So that fits with that theory, for sure.

FJFP likes this.
  25. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I think Brand New Me is every bit as good as Dusty In Memphis, like but don't own any other material, Love Shelby Lynne's tribute..is there a thread on that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.