DVD-A Through a Toshiba SD4800, is it worth bothering with??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Nov 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba SD-4800 DVD player that is capable of playback of DVD-A audio. I have it hooked up to my preamp for the two channel playback of the audio portion of movie DVDs and was wondering if a unit of that level would provide reasonable stereo DVD-A playback. Anyone have experience with a unit like this for audio? I don't want to waste money on DVD-A discs just to be frustrated and disappointed because the playback unit wasn't good enough.

2. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Are you one of the guys that believe something can´t be good if it wasn´t expensive?

Buy the titles that you are interested in, and listen to them! I´m sure you won´t be disappointed. Unless of course you expect to be.

You can be sure that any two pairs of speakers make a bigger difference than any two DVD-A players.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Pick up a cheap DVDA like Neil Young's Harvest and enjoy the Hi-Rez Stereo playback on your 2 speakers.

4. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Future Shop is now advertising this unit and I am getting interested in hearing what my Rumours DVD-A has to offer.

This may sound like a dumb question, but can I simply hook something like the SD-4800 up to my stereo (no TV) and use it simply to play back CD and DVD-A? Or do I need a screen to see what I am doing?

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If you're hooked up for regular playback you'll need the TV screen to access the menu so you can play back the stereo track. Unless I'm mistaken, when you put a DVD-A into your machine, it will automatically default to 5.1 if you don't work the menu. You certainly don't need a TV screen to play redbook stuff; in that instance, the player works like any other CD player.
    While you may not get all the benefits of playback without the more elaborate system, you should get something decent enough with just
    the setup you have.

ED:cool:

6. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

I also have that unit. I bought "Hotel California" to start and was so happy with the sound, I have about 10 DVD-A's now. However, I have heard that the DD or DTS tracks on the disks are just as good as the DVD-A, but this has been highly debated. I feel like there is a substantial difference between DVD-A and the digital tracks

7. Ed Bishop

There is, sometimes. The DD 5.1 will work fine if you don't have the hi-rez equipment. If you just have a stereo setup, that layer should work for you, too. As long as you don't go into a showroom and hear hi-rez in all its potential, you'll be fine. As for DTS, I still think it's the closest to DVD-A in terms of sound quality. I like HOTEL CALIFORNIA a lot; fine album anyway, and intelligently remixed.

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I was just wondering why there would not be something on the front panel of the unit that would tell you what you can select using the remote. With my Sony SACD player, the front panel indicates CD, SACD, 2 or 4 channel etc. Seems like a simple thing, no?

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Si! Looks like DVD was designed for 5.1 home theatre, not stereo systems.

I am going to check out the Toshiba SD5700 which has HDCD playback - a must for my Japanese "Yes" discs.

Lets see now.... that makes 4 CD capable players at my place.

Anyone have any comments about redbook playback on Toshiba?

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Khorn - did you ever hook it up?

11. Khorn

It's hooked up using a 35' run of component to my RPTV. For the audio output its connected to my pre-amp but I'm only using Cardas Twinlink for interconnects with this unit. I've got so much invested in SACD at this point I think that I'll stick to that for music as it gives me what I want in the way that I want it and leave DVDs for video as I had originally intended.
    Thanks to those who provided some input.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Personally I am interested in some of the DVD-A titles so I really want to hear what it can do - even if we are talking about a "second tier" system with an economy player.

I already have Alice Cooper's Welcome to my Nightmare.

And I saw Neil Young's Harvest in a store recently.

But seeing a copy of Yes' Fragile threw me over the edge! I can't resist any more - and with the players being so cheap - why not! Must~get~DVD-A!

13. Khorn

That's a great healthy approach. Go for It. I'm to audiophoolishly warped and beyond redemption! Woa Is Me!

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Or justifiably smarter than I!

Well, I'll soon see - if I can decide between a Panasonic and a Toshiba! :eek:

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Very punny!:righton:

16. Khorn

Go for the panny, why, 'cause it seems as if everybody else has a Toshiba thats why. Does it have to make sense???

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

No. I guess not. :o This is embarrasing....

Sorry, I was thinking again. :o

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

19. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Yes. It's fine.

Of course, if you have a HT receiver, you can use the DAC in that instead, for comparison, and use the Toshiba as a transport. I find my Yamaha's DAC boosts the signal, so it's hard to compare them directly.

One thing about the Tosh -- it's fussy about DVD-A authoring (thoguh I've never had a problem with a DVD-V). For example, mine simply won't acknowledge the existence of non-DVD-A tracks on the Harvest disc . Attempting to access them causes the player to lock up and sdisplay a 'green screen'.

Most DVD-As play in all modes just fine on it, though.

You can also disable the HDCD 'make it louder' effect (HDCD's spec makes encoded/HDCD decoded material play ~6 dB louder than it would without HDCD decoding, whic is *cheating*, psychoacoustically speaking), which is nice. I forget where it is in the menu --I think it's called 'CD attenuation' or somesuch. NB too that to get HDCD decoding, you have to use the analog outputs. Using the digital will bypass the HDCD decoder, from what Toshiba tells me.

20. Ed Bishop

Because SACD players were--until recently--audio-only units, they operated like any CD player, with a panel setup where you could pick everything. But DVD-A, unfortunately, is like DVD itself, meaning you have to visually cue up, down or back and forth to access what you want. But then it was intended to also have some visual elements like lyrics, photos, extra features, etc., SACD wasn't designed to have(though that may well change if the SACD/DVD player becomes more commonplace).

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I have several DVD players. 2 Panasonic (one first generation and one is a DVD recorder), 2 Sony SACD/DVD, and a Toshiba DVD player that I got for the HDCD decoding.

The Panasonics look the best while the Toshiba looks the worst. The Toshiba doesn't sound as good as the other and also skips video frames every minute or so. It'll just skip ahead a frame or two which is quite a noticeable jump. It's sitting in my closet and probably won't be used anymore.

22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Do you mean the sound of the DVD video does not sound as good as the Panasonic?

Just want to be sure we are not talking about DVD-A.

Thanks!

23. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

None of them are DVD-A players and I can't comment on the sound quality since I have them going digitally into my receiver.

Those were all just comments about the video side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.