DVD-Audio or DVD-Video with 24/96?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by YorkeS9, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I want to make my own 24bit/96 kHz LPCM Audio DVDs. What is the better choice, DVD-Audio or DVD-Video?

2. downhill

downhill Senior Member

You can do this with DVD video no problem.

3. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

If you are going to be working in stereo, then the DVD spec is enough. It will also let you send the data through the SPDIF connection, which will give you a clearer sound than analog.

Now, if you are going to be working in 5.1 you will need to go to DVD-Audio. And if you plan to go to 96/24 in 5.1 you will need to use MLP compression before authoring to DVD-Audio.

4. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

DVD-Audio sounds much better than the DVD-Video of the same material.

5. Luke M

Luke M New Member

The only advantage of DVD-Audio in this case is capacity - if you use MLP compression.

6. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

If you mean dvd-audio i.e. PCM sounds better than Dolby Digital, yes.

But a 96/24 PCM track on a dvd-audio disc - whether or not it uses the MLP lossless compression system* - sounds no better than a 96/24 PCM track on a dvd-video disc.

A 96/24 track on a dvd-video disc also has the advantage of being able to be played on any dvd-video player. There are a number of dvd-audio titles that include stereo 48/24 & 96/24 PCM tracks that can be played on such a player, for example from AIX Records, DTS Entertainment & a few from Warner Bros.

* if it does, most players indicate this by the letters "PPCM" or "packed pulse code modulation". For some reason (licensing fee?) they don't display "MLP" > "Meridian Lossless Packing".

7. YorkeS9

Thanks for the answers,

I want 24/96 stereo only. Is there any affordable software for DVD-Audio authoring that can do MLP/PPCM? Disc Welder Chrome II is very expensive.

8. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

:confused:

9. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm afraid not, becuase the only way you can produce MLP files that I know of is using Surcode MLP from Minnetonka and this program costs a whole lot. BTW, in the DVD-Audio authoring arena you've also got DiskWelder Bronze and WaveLab 5 and up. Then, you've got this: http://www.cirlinca.com/
    and this: http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/alpha/

10. YorkeS9

Quote:
    DVD-Audio sounds much better than the DVD-Video of the same material?

Is this possible? I hope that all 24/96 stereo-linearPCM data (from DVD-Audio and DVD-Video) go the same way through the hardware of the same DVD-Player. Is this not true? Has anyone listened to the same song on the same player from a DVD-Audio and from a DVD-Video?

11. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, and let me tell you, my best backup (analog out) recordings of my HiRez media in stereo at 96/24 sound quite nice when played back through the analog route, but always sound clearer when played through the SPDIF. This is something that, for the great majority of us, is only possible when said material at 96/24 is on a regular DVD. (People with HiRez equipment that have proprietary digital connections and can play directly without going through the analog step maybe do not need this).

HiRez PCM is HiRez PCM however it is played, unless your player downsamples it during the playback process. The only differences between 96/24 MLP stereo as on a DVD-Audio disk and 96/24 LPCM stereo as on one of the Neil Young DVDs is that the first one is losslessly compressed, needs a special player and is more copy protected than the second one as a result of the restrictions MLP implies. Apart from that, they will both sound the same provided the gear and the interconnects are good.

Now, if we talk 192/24, which DVD-Audio offers but is out of the regular DVD specs, then we are talking about something completely different. PCM at 192/24 does definitely sound better than the same at 96/24,

12. YorkeS9

That is the problem. I do not know if the great soundquality of 192/24 needledrops is really worth the trouble. I can have 192/24 top quality but in 5 years I will not get any player for the DVD-Audio format (remember VHS, Beta and Video2000 or DigitalCompactCassettes). Or I will live with 96/24 on DVD-Videos and the best compatibility.The best solution would be 192/24 in the audio folder and 96/24 in the video folder on one disc, like a one sided HDAD. But even with MLP for the 192/24 part the capacity of a DVD will be to small, or not?

13. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

First, most of the new sound quality of High Definition I have read talks about 192/24, although in this case they include 5.1 at that rez. So, it might seem that 192/24 is far from over.

Second, 192/24 in the AUDIO_TS folder and 96/24 in the VIDEO_TS one in a single-sided single-layer HDAD is possible. It all depends on the length of music on the disk.

A normal album at 192/24 stereo will be about 3.61 gigabytes in size. The same content at 96/24 might occupy about 1.5 gigabytes. A normal single-sided single-layer DVD+R can hold around 4.5 gigabytes of data (even if it says it can do 4.7). Do the math.

Yet, one of the most interesting uses that I've found for 192/24 is to record at that frequency and then downsample to 96/24. In my experience, I get more detail in the resulting 96/24 like that than when I record straight at 96/24.

As to if it makes sense with vinyl, I'd suggest you try it. I haven't been able to as I do not currently have a preamp to hook my turntable to the soundcard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.