Dvds / blu rays : extras, with interesting Director/ actor commentary. Any favourites?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moops

moops Senior Member

Just a different opinion ......
    I really couldn't care less about extras. Just give me a nice scan of the movie and I'm content. I know people get all worked up about them, but I don't get the obsession.
    I can appreciate a decent commentary, but if there isn't one, it's not a deal breaker.

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Don't know about Lambs but in the early days, Blu-ray re-issues were often bare-bones even when expanded edition DVDs had already been issued.

I presume that many DVD only special features have made it to Blu-ray by now but not all.

alexpop likes this.
  3. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I can vouch for the one he did on Casablanca----supoib!

alexpop and BZync like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have the DVD...not the BD. Thanks...does anyone know if the commentary is on the BD as well?...maybe we will find out. ; )

5. Michael

that's not the point...a non anamorphic CC DVD in 2018! that would NEVER EVER happen...are you serious? or pulling my chain? ; )

6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The Silence of the Lambs

New BD and DVD are definitely anamorphic. The movie has never looked better!

jlocke08 and Michael like this.
  7. The Hud

Favorite commentary tracks:

Ghostbusters (especially the MST3K like version)

King Kong (1933), all the bonus features are wonderful actually

I enjoy all of Wes Anderson's commentaries, but especially like Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic

Gimme Shelter

Crumb

Godzilla (1954)

8. Michael

indeed...thanks.

The Hud likes this.
  9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I answered your question yesterday. Three times you’ve questioned my knowledge on this. It is either you who is pulling my chain, or you have a serious issue with comprehension.

10. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

Some that I enjoyed recently are:
    Fitzcarraldo - Werner Herzog
    The Quiet American - Philip Noyce
    The Dancer Upstairs - John Malkovich and Javier Bardem
    Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire - Wim Wenders

Not only are Wenders' commentaries great, he also has the perfect voice for them. I could listen to him all day!

Not a director but I dislike the Rudy Behlmer commentaries that spout facts, dates of birth and death, other films starred in, etc

11. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

A little side note, Troy Howarth name drops me on his commentary track on the Shout! Factory DANGER: DIABOLIK Blu-Ray/DVD! He introduced me to Mario Bava’s work during our college days (late-‘90s). DIABOLIK became one of my favorite films and I had organized a screening on campus and invited him to speak prior to the film (he was working on his Bava book at the time, which has been published a few times since).

Troy’s commentaries are quite good! They feel conversational and informative yet don’t have that reading from notes vibe.

I saw THE GODFATHER mentioned earlier and agree with that post. Coppola’s commentary tracks are excellent! I actually had stopped listening to commentary tracks around 2000 because I’d grown tired of the bombardment of boring self-back patting descriptive tracks (looking at you Tim Burton! (“There’s a real tree... and now we cut to a studio and that’s a fake tree... back to a real tree...” -SLEEPY HOLLOW)). Coppola refueled my interest in commentary tracks.

BZync likes this.
  12. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Both the DVD and Blu-Ray of "Bubba Ho Tep" have a running commentary track by
    Bruce Campbell. What's great about it he is in character as Elvis (still alive, as in the film)
    and it's fascinating how tuned in Bruce is as Elvis. He's obviously a major Elvis fan/collector
    since he comments on all types of things in "his" life. If you're an Elvis fan, it's essential.
    [​IMG]

alexpop, Phil Tate and Walt like this.
  13. Michael

I'm pulling the chain that pulls mine...END IT. who's having comprehension problems?

14. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

You are. If you really want to make your idiotic misreading of what I’ve told you into an issue, so be it. Welcome to my ignore list. Good luck with the rest of your confused life.

15. Michael

Cool! I was going to request that you do that...thanks. Now I don't have to deal with your idiotic misreading of what I’ve told you! and keep me on your ignore list...fight the temptation to peek. It's real easy. : )

16. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I've found that any DVD/Blu-Ray with Eddie Muller doing the commentary is well worth the buy, especially two that he's done with James Ellroy, Crime Wave and The Lineup.

Regginold31 and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Bruce Campbell commentary? :righton:

18. The Hud

He does commentary for Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness as well. Very enjoyable commentary tracks!

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Nicholas Cage is a big Elvis P fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.