DYI acoustic wall treatment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnnyK, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anybody made their own DIY acoustic wall treatment? I searched the web and there are many different versions of DIY wall treatment. Some very complex, and some very simple. Anybody have any success making their own?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Are you trying to isolate yourself from the neighbors?

3. JohnnyK

Hi Sckott,

My room is very well soundproofed, so I do not need to worry about bothering anybody. I am trying to reduce the amount of sound reflections within the room. The commercially available products are expensive. The walls and ceiling are drywall and the floor is concrete with a carpet on a pad. Furniture is a couch and two chairs. The room is about 7'-8" h., 21' long., 14-9 wide.

4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Not letting sound out is the same as keeping the energy inside.

Mid to high frequencies are easy to tame. The difficult thing are low frequencies. I tend to believe the best way to deal with them is to let them out of the room but it seems late for that, I guess.

Send me mail at [email protected] and I'll send back you my Mediaroom spreadsheet. It can give you a good idea of what you'll need.

5. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I have to recommend the ASC wall panels. You get 8 of them for $400. They look good but the best thing about them is how they work. The don't just damp mid/high frequencies, they diffuse the sound. This has the effect of eliminating the nasty reflections without making the room sound dead. The other thing you can do for cheap is get the Room Tunes Corner Tune set of 4. They go for about $90 and work wonders, really. That is something I'm sure you can make but it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

6. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

7. JohnnyK

8. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

This is gonna sound strange, no pun intended, but try using the fibrous air conditioning board. You know, the stuff that comes in 4X8 sheets that you score to bend into the the ducts that air travels through? Works great in our studios at the station. If you want hanging instructions, let me know. I'll write some up and snap a few picks and show you the results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.