Dynaudio Emit Series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I remember listening to some older Dynaudio's DM series, I remember finding them very polite and well balanced. I'm looking into probably getting the EMIT M20 bookshelf. I'd like a neutral speaker that is non fatiguing with a soft dome tweeter. I never was quite satisfied with my B&W CM5 bookshelves, although they were very precise I couldn't listen to them more than 30min at a time, my ears would get tired. Has anyone tried or own the EMIT series? I know Dynaudio's are usually hard to drive and need a lot of power, my amp is rated at 150wpc, would that be sufficient for the M20's? ( 4 ohm 86db sensitivity ) what is your general opinion?

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Plenty of power for 86dB sensitive speakers. You could run AR-3s at 80dB.

Phono Groove likes this.
  3. Phono Groove

Yes that's what i've been told, have you had experience with the emit series by dynaudio?

4. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

I have listened to the Dynaudio Emit M20s a couple of times, and at one time contemplated purchasing them. The first time I was very impressed with them, the second time much less so as I found them a bit aggressive sounding and consequently fatiguing. I actually bought a pair of B&W CM5 S2s instead, as I found them much less fatiguing over lengthy listening sessions. My experiences with the Dynaudios come with the caveat that I listened to them with Naim electronics, which I am generally not a fan of. I auditioned the B&Ws with Arcam electronics, and in my system the B&Ws are driven by an Arcam DAC and Cyrus amplifier. What other components make up your system?

Regarding the power rating of your amplifier, I use a Cyrus 6XP amplifier to drive the B&Ws. This is rated at 40 watts into 8ohms, but I believe this to be a conservative measurement which is exceeded under dynamic conditions. So far I found the Cyrus to be more than powerful enough for the B&Ws. When I auditioned the Dynaudios, they were driven by a Naim Uniti all-in-one system which has a similar power rating to my Cyrus amplifier, and again this was able to easily power them to loud volume levels. The thing to remember with amplifier power ratings is more watts does not always equal a better amplifier - you often get better results with more conservatively rated amplifiers which are designed to comfortably meet their rated power outputs.

5. Phono Groove

Wow this is the first time I hear that dynaudio are aggressive and fatiguing. The rest of the system consists of an Oppo BDP-105 player a Musical Fidelity A300 integrated amp with Van Den Hul wires

6. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

Personally I think it was down to the electronics which were used to demo the speakers - I have heard Naim electronics a number of times and have never particularly rated them. No matter what speakers have been used I have found the sound of Naim equipment quite harsh and fatiguing. I should probably have auditioned the Dynaudios with some other electronics before passing final judgement, but I got a very good deal on the B&Was (1/3 off list price) I decided to go with them instead. My advice would be to find an audio dealer who will let you have a lengthy audition, or allow you to borrow the Dynaudios for a home audition where you can listen for yourself. I agree, Dynaudio speakers don't have a reputation for being aggressive or fatiguing, however I can only base my opinion on what I heard. The Emit M20s have certainly had some good reviews in the UK hifi press.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.