Dynavector 17D3 Karat

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mkane, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog Thread Starter

I usually shy away from the boutique cartridge manufacturers but, at a grand just couldn't resist. Seems to be a perfect match for an 11g eff. mass tonearm. Any Dynavector users out there?

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Can't go wrong with Dynavector. At the point I replace my Clearaudio Concerto I might consider a Dynavector XX2 MkII.

3. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Just received a 20X2H today. Can’t wait to mount on my VPI Aries Scout!

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I love my 20x20L, but I’m not sure what I’ll do when it’s time to replace. I was thinking about having soundsmith retip it. It looks like the price just went up a couple hundred bucks on the 20x20L.

Pancat likes this.
  5. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I have had the Karat on my Acoustic Signature TT for about a year now, very nice cart. If you got it for $1000 you got a great deal (-;

The dealer was probably discounting it because the new version has hit the market.

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

This is on my short list to put on a Rega RP6 at some point. What would be a good phono amp to go with it?

7. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Are Dynavectors considered boutique? I have a 20x2 that was recently retipped by Soundsmith. It sounds pretty phenomenal.

8. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Your Rega Aria handles LOMC carts , it would work well with the Karat.

Unless you want to spend more money, I have a Sutherland 20/20 and the combo sounds superb.

9. mkane

Compared to AT/Ortofon, yes.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

How much did that cost you, if you don’t mind my asking? Was it a long wait?

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I used a couple of Karat cartridges for years. I still have one of them. It is very linear, fast, and dynamic.
    -Bill

12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Thanks! Currentlly my Aria is supporting an RP10/Alpheta 2 (awesome combo). I am planning to go MC for my other system when it us time to replace the Exact on my RP6.

Have heard nothing but good about Sutherland.

13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

No problem. I went with the more expensive option at $399 because I wanted a top quality upgrade. There are cheaper rebuild options. They quoted me a 12 week wait but it was less than an 8 week wait.

jon9091 likes this.
  14. mkane

$1000 from 2juki-ebay.

15. mkane

I'm guessing it will be a side-step compared to my Shelter 501. I should have moved up higher in the chain.

16. Humberto Ramirez

Humberto Ramirez Active Member

I have the same set-up and have found that a 1000 ohms is the ideal impedance load, the cart does not open up at 200 ohms enough.
    great cart but a pain in the ass to set up...tracking is good but not great...still an amazing cart!

Echoes Myron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.