Eagles best sounding CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Futurecity, May 6, 2013.

1. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am curious to find out which of the Eagles CDs sound the best? I've heard mixed things about 2003's THE VERY BEST OF 2-CD comp, but is this comp probably the best way to go...does it have a winning combination of good sound quality and track listing? I'm also curious about the SELECTED WORKS boxed set and the individual remasters from a few years ago? I passed on the remasters when I first saw them...they looked like the old CDs, only with a new sticker on the front to indicate they are remastered, but do these boast greatly improved sound or are they a disappointment?

So, from these three choices - the 2-CD comp, Selected Works or the individual remastered CDs, which probably has the best sound quality?

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  2. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

DCC.

markp, ARod, MonkeyMan and 4 others like this.
  3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

DCC's Hotel California and Greatest Hits

BeatlesBop, ARod, audiomixer and 9 others like this.
  4. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

HDTracks Hotel California, 24bit/192kHz sounds almost as nice as vinyl. I don't have any Eagles on CD, its all on vinyl, but I've heard the hi res download and its very good.

Phasecorrect and ryaneagon like this.
  5. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

XRCD2 of Hell Freezes Over is great

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Of the three alternatives that you list, they're pretty much equivalent in terms of sound quality. It's just a question of how deep into the catalog you want to go. I have all of it and still tend to listen to the Very Best the most. It hits all of the high points.
    Hope this helps.

Christopher B likes this.
  7. DCC's Hotel California is superb. When the drums kick at the start of the first track, wow!

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I know that the DCC discs are swell, as are the DVD-A, the HD download, the XRCD, and the Venezuelan Desperado, but they're not in the OP's listed alternatives!

mikee, hifisoup and lbangs like this.
  9. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

Forget all these spectacularly expensive items,and get the recent "The Studio Albums 1972-1979" for cheap,and you are set!

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Another vote for the DCC gold CDs, but the Hotel California DVD-Audio disc is the best-sounding Eagles disc in my collection.

ARod, audiomixer, progrocker and 3 others like this.
  11. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Yeh, but why not give some extra advice nto steer him in the right direction - I think that all the suggestions have been constructive.,

I assume that the HDTracks hi res file is taken straight from the DVD, but there doesn't seem to be any way to confirm. But the download is great, I would expect the DVD-A to be just as good.

heartbreaker likes this.
  12. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Everyone has told you the best (DCC, I have them, Xrcd, I have) and every thing else. The thing is the original transfer DC are flat transfers, (a good thing) but some say they sound full bodied but, lack top end. The remaster are a little hot (louder) for some but the fastest way to get into the game. Ted Jensen remastered the Eagles entire catalog (all CD Eagles through Eagles/Live, the Selected Works Box Set, and Very Best set that you have).

So if you like that sound you got it, if it hurt your ears, you can search the use bins and find the others (there are secret remasters out there, of the original albums I have ; 2 were remastered by Barry Diament (A Very good thing), 2 are from Europe for U.S.A. and have only LP information, 1 had Ted Jensen LP credit for mastering 1 is a Target CD and had Ted Jensen LP credit for mastering and Pre CDD info. There not that far apart. Futurecity, are you happy with what you have? You have to make the choice.

Because I have all this and it still depends on my mood. Because, I Like The Eagles! (But, I do have the DCC discs, DVD-A, the Xrcd, all the original Vinyl and Half-speed 180g pressing).

13. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

We need someone to tell us how good (or otherwise) the complete set that just went up on HDTracks are.

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

The self-titled mastered by Barry Diament is excellent and cheap.

audiomixer and Rockford & Roll like this.
  15. The DCC doesn't sound like is a flat transfer to me. I can hear EQ adjustments - which is what good mastering is about. The Jensen remastering is quite good too, but the limiting used does take some of the dynamic excitement away.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm quite certain the Hotel California DCC gold disc is not a flat transfer. Steve has posted in the past about the hours he put in to getting the sound just right on that disc.

BeatlesBop, ARod, dav-here and 2 others like this.
  17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It doesn't seem to matter does it, always assume the OP has unlimited financial resources.

18. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

The original CD releases from WB were flat transfers, not the Ted Jensen's remasters. The thing is that Ted Jensen mastered the LP's, so his name is on some of the flat transfers also. But, since the album remasters (I think it was round 1999) Mr. Jensen has done every thing Eagles (Box Set, Very Best, and any album remaster). I know Steve Hoffman (Our Host) did all the DCC discs, from flat transfers, and did a masterful job. (Pun Intended);):D

ARod likes this.
  19. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I like the 1999 remasters...

Easy just to pick up the The Studio Albums box set and maybe a spare copy of "The Long Run". Some of those boxes have the old mastering...

905 likes this.
  20. mark7

mark7 Guest

DCC of Hotel California, originals for everything else. HDtracks downloads are essentially files used in the making of DVD-A, which is compressed

21. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I have the DCC Hotel California, the SACD hybrid and the original Asylum... They all sound great. Different but great... Also have DCC Greatest Hits which sounds amazing. I would also seek out the Barry Diament masterings. They are some of the best redbook cds you will ever hear. In my opinion.

22. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Are the hi res versions big improvements over all the other "audiophile" Eagles stuff?

23. mark7

mark7 Guest

I agree. Barry's mastering of Hotel California sounds more like the original vinyl than the DCC does (boomy bass and all), and for all other albums, Barry's versions are definitive...

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Is that the one without RE in the matrix? The only ones I can find have the RE and they sound similar to the remasters.

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

How can you tell which ones are Barry's? Thanks.