Eagles "Desperado" was not a single in 1973?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, May 23, 2022.

1. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was looking for info on the Desperado album on wikipedia and saw that the title track was not a single. the singles were Tequila Sunrise and Outlaw man...good songs but wth?

How was this song (one of the most popular songs of the decade) never a single? I mean, it's not like it's too long (like Stairway to Heaven).

Anyone know the reason for this, and was it released later as a single?

2. DavidP

DavidP Forum Resident

The album was poorly received at the time of release, even Tequila Sunrise wasn’t a big hit. It wasn’t until the Greatest Hits album that these songs (Desperado and Tequila Sunrise) eventually became standards. It was Linda Ronstadt’s version of Desperado that received more attention. It was strange, for sure.

Say It Right, ARK, 905 and 10 others like this.
  3. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Here's another shocker for you. In 1973 the Eagles were considered a 4 way equal partnership. Bernie and Randy were equal to Henley and Frey.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The album was received poorly. Outlaw Man was indicative of the album theme. I get why it was released, they likely wanted a Glen Frey song on the airwaves with Tequila Sunrise being released previously. They pretty much wanted to go in a different direction. So rather than keep with the Western theme, they focused on the next album. They switched producers from Glyn Johns and went back to LA to record the rest of On The Boarder. Linda Ronstadt recorded the song and started performing the song live, likely as tribute to her former backing band.

5. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

This is just one example of a classic song that is universally loved today that was under appreciated when first released. There are many similar recordings that failed to make an impact initially that are now considered important "standards" in pop culture.

6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Why didn't Eagles come to their senses and make it a single? I know they got their reasons, but it's a hard one to answer.

7. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I, too, was surprised when I picked up my first Whitburn chart book in the early '80s and found that Desperado wasn't listed.

It was eventually released a a single, but it was an Elektra Gold "oldies series" single.

ian christopher and McLover like this.
  8. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

"THEY MADE A ****ING COWBOY RECORD!!!"

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Desparado' is an ok song but what makes anyone think it would be a hit single?

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  10. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I thought the desperado reprise was the better song
    Linda Ronstadt made it a hit.

It is a great song

ian christopher likes this.
  11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

12. Monosterio

Johnny Rodriguez scored a top 5 single on the U.S. country charts with his "Desperado" cover.

Now, I had never heard of Johnny Rodriguez before today, but that's beside the point. :winkgrin:

Recordfan likes this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Fair enough...but I was thinking Billboard Top 40 hit material.

14. Monosterio

Was Linda's version actually a hit? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place(s), but I can't find evidence of that.

a customer likes this.
  15. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Two Frey songs in a row. This sounds like a record company decision. Let's release the song that sounds like Neil Young. How could you not recognize the hit potential of Desperado, it's the title track!

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  16. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

This was the other single from Desperado:

17. Mojo7575

Mojo7575 Forum Resident

Taking a closer look at the track listing of "Desperado", the title track is not even in the top 5 (in my opinion).
    The top 5 are (in no particular order):
    • Twenty-One, Tequila Sunrise, Outlaw Man, Saturday Night and Bitter Creek (yes, I like Leadon's songs)
    Bottom 5 are
    • Doolin-Dalton, Certain Kind of Fool, Desperado, Instrumental and Desperado reprise
    Not ranked is the terrible Out of Control
    I think they picked the right songs as singles.
    I would even suggest that the albums name should remain "Desperado" but replace the song and the reprise with another well sequenced instrumental, a version of "How Long" and/or a number from Frey's Pre-Eagles Longbranch Pennywhistle album or one from Henley's Shiloh band.

BluesOvertookMe and unclefred like this.
  18. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Singles are so overrated. Good to keep something exclusive for real fans who care enough to buy the album.:shtiphat:

19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

No, and it wasn't a single either, it was an album track on Don't Cry Now (which preceeded her big break-through with Heart Like A Wheel and "You're No Good", etc.), but her version was likewise included on her first Greatest Hits and may have been more popular than the Eagles own version at the time.

20. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Was Ronstadt's version more popular? I think it's one of (the) Eagles' greatest songs and the original is better than Linda's version. One of Henley's finest performances. Why wouldn't the band want it to be a hit?

21. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Doolin Dalton and Desperado reprise are the best things on the album.

NeonMadman likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, the Rondstadt version was better known at the time.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That Elektra Spun Gold 45, was likely done due to jukebox, and radio airplay demands when "Their Greatest Hits" was released. That LP is why it became a standard later.

24. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Ronstadt's version of "Desperado" was indeed a single. In an increasingly rare move by 1974, Asylum Records released it as a double-sided promo with "Colorado" on the other side. "Desperado" made the Cash Box Coming Up chart on July 20, 1974, peaking at #105 and spending seven weeks on that chart.

[​IMG]

This was her last single before "You're No Good."

25. Monosterio