EAR 843P the best MM only phono stage ever?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by theflattire, Oct 29, 2022.

1. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone using one?
    Best MM only stage ever?
    Anything else qualify?
    MM only.

2. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

That is a good phono stage for the price. It is a favorite of serious tinkerers who liked to improve its power supply. I liked what I heard—warm and smooth yet still dynamic—but it wasn’t the last word in detail and treble extension. I heard it playing a MC cartridge via a stepup transformer. I cannot think of something obviously better in its price class.

But, it is hardly the best ever when price is not a factor. Their are some extremely expensive stages that are MM stages that are intended to be used with a separate step-up transformer for use of MC cartridges. I heard the Audio Note (uk) top of the line phono with their best transformer and it is very good. I have no idea how much it cost, but the step up alone cost more than $20k. I took the step up home to try it in my system; it is perhaps fortunate it did not play well with my pre-amp’s phonostage. Kondo (Audio Note Japan) also has a very expensive MM phono-stage. I have not heard it, but I would bet it is good (I heard a fantastic linestage from them).

3. theflattire

I should have specified under $arm and leg.
    Both Audio Notes, I'm afraid to look for prices!

I see Icon Audio PS2 but not much info.
    Couple other under the radar: Mapletree Audio and Aric Audio. Not much info there either.

4. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

To this day my EAR834P (MM/MC model) is my all-time favorite audio purchase, it's why I started upgrading the rest of my system as I was amazed at the difference one component can make to the sound.
    Nowadays I connect it to an EARMC4 Step up transformer, which in itself is a jaw-on-the-floor improvement on the internal transformer in the EAR834P.

BTW i compared it to the new EAR Phono Box, IMO the new model has a more modern hi-fi sound to it, not sure if it's the different tubes used in it or something to do with the design, but it definitely has a different tonality than the 834 which has more of a classic analog tube sound, however, the phono box was noticeably quieter than the 834P, not sure if it's because my unit is very old, ultimately I preferred the 834P sound.

I'm not sure what's the going price for a used 834p these days but I remember it not being very expensive at all compared to other high-grade phono stages, mine was purchased 2nd hand, i think anyone buying it will never look back, it's a classic for a reason, one day i plan to upgrade to the 864 with the phono section.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have used the 843P for many years in the past.
    Certainly, it is a great phono preamp.
    Is it the best MM only phono stage? I wouldn't go that far saying something like this.
    I have heard various Graham Slee models that are up there with the 843P if not better.
    Has anyone here heard and compared with the Lejonklou?
    I haven't but it gets some great reviews. Also Fremer's readers seem to prefer it in a blind short clip poll that Fremer did.

You Should Buy a MM-Only Phono Preamp If You Are Using a MM Cartridge! At Least Based on These Results

6. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

The Audio Research LP1 could be a strong contender. Unfortunately only available on the used market now.

7. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

The Italian company Lector Audio makes a MM stage called the MMP, which utilizes a 12AT7 tube. I have heard one of their phono-stages (I don’t recall the specific model) and it is very good, particularly at its price point. Lector gear is hard to find, but worth the search; everything I’ve heard was very goog.

theflattire likes this.
  8. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

There's no such thing as the best ever

martinb4, sixthstreet, BrentB and 7 others like this.
  9. Rushboy

Rushboy Active Member

I would also be very interested in the Graham Slee vs Lejonklou comparison.

5-String likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

11. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Don't forget that Tim deP also designed the Quad 24p, a 4 x 6111 tube MM/MC phono stage, with three sensitivity levels for either input, and a defeatable volume control. I would still be using mine but having taken to running more than one cartridge at once I was concerned the switches for MM/MC and sensitivity were not built for frequent operation (for most users they will be set and forget). Very nice bit of kit.

12. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

I think there are probably quite a few phono stages that many of us would like better in that price range, even though in it's original version it was somewhat a bargain. I'd prefer an all-tube approach like the Icon Audio you mention when going in that direction as opposed to the JFET-Triode hybrid in the 834P and so many others (though it is good for MM carts since the cascode design keeps the input capacitance low), and generally prefer no feedback designs with passive EQ in tube phono stages, and think it could be improved a great deal with some better parts in key locations, but there's no denying what a huge success the EAR 834P became, and how many "real" ones are still in use, along with all the designs it inspired, and all the indirect and direct copies out there.

Maybe more accurate at this point to call it the most popular phono stage design ever.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  13. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I bought a Chinese clone (834p)
    It's nice, but not as good as my Audionote M1.
    I would like to heat the real thing( EAR)
    On thing I know is irrespective of price
    Solid state does not impress me.
    I.have heard the Graham Slee Golden Era, Tom Evans Vibe? It cost £1200.
    For me a Step up Transformer and tubes simply magic!

Don't get wrong. The Chinese EAR 834
    is really nice and better than the 2 solid state phono stages mentioned to my ears.
    Now, the M1 is superb with my Shure V15 Mk3. Moving magnets with a tube stage are so close to MC,s that I play album after album.
    One thing to remember is that Tim dP
    Was regarded as a genius. So , yes,
    The 834P must be near or top of the tree.

bluemooze and theflattire like this.
  14. theflattire

So tempting to try one out...but not too many comparative reviews out there.

My original idea was to go MM with SUT, but I got sidetracked.

doctor fuse likes this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

But isn't that what you have in the Tavish Adagio?

16. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I ran a Lejonklou Gaio v1 with an SUT for a couple years, it was great. I liked that it had no adjustments, no power switch, no lights, etc. 40dB gain, 80pF, I believe. So, very compatible with a range of cartridges (and step up devices).

It sounded very good, particularly for the used price of $300 or whatever I paid.

I never got a chance to hear it head to head with a Slee, but the Gaio was a notable step up from a Clearaudio Nano v2 which I still think is a super underrated piece of gear at its price point of $500 new.

Rushboy and theflattire like this.
  17. theflattire

I'm not quite sure about the MC side.
    I broke down and got a Cinemag 1254 SUT and am going to try it with the MM side to see if there is any difference. I think the Jensen JT44s are good, but not great as Tavish upgrades them to the JT347 if available. Maybe I get on the wait list and send back in.

Was looking at the Gaio last night!

Rushboy and FalseMetal666 like this.
  18. gestalt

gestalt Forum Resident

19. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

I did not think much of mine.I guess for a very sterile sounding system it could be good because it sounds very euphonic.
    I preferred the Realistic 42 2101a
    The phono stage in my Supratek Cortese preamp is fantastic

theflattire likes this.
  20. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

A Decware ZP3 soundly beat my Ear 834p when I compared them years ago

bloodlemons, hagtech, Roger C and 5 others like this.
  21. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

This was super helpful. Thank you. Been trying to find ANYONE that could compare the 834p vs the Phonobox/classic. I am super tempted to get the Phonobox but was hoping it was maybe more in the other direction in being more “tubey”. But maybe not.

I have an original 834p deluxe on indefinite loan from a great friend but will one day have to grow up and get something of my own. Trying to find something in its price range that gives me the most “tube” lush, 3D sound I can get to match with my SS Mc MA8900. Right now the 834p sounds fantastic with it and gives me exactly what I want from a tube pre > SS combo. But can it get better?!

Looking at Decware, Icon Audio and others. Hmmmm…

theflattire likes this.
  22. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Glad I could help!

I'm a good friend with an EAR products importer, and was lucky enough to compare both for two weeks, I was interested in maybe upgrading to the phonobox because of its volume knob which my EAR834 lacks, I found it to be very useful for gain matching.

I was very impressed by the phono box sound, but ultimately I thought that it wasn't really an upgrade but more of a side move, and I should save for the 868 but after using the 834 with the EARMC4 step-up, I'm not sure I need to upgrade anymore.

If you love the EAR why not stick with it, it has the sound you like, are you itching to try something else, I would think twice :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    theflattire and Spooky like this.
  23. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Now you had to go get all logical on me. :)

Thanks for the input. Maybe it’s time to start hunting for my own 834p.

Doctorwu and theflattire like this.
  24. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Spooky likes this.
  25. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident