eBay Pet Peeve #1: Can't Pick It Up!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by -=Rudy=-, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

Shoot! Here is a nice pair of Polk RTA12 speakers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078680152

...and it's pickup in Towson, MD only! :(

If the price stayed at its current level of $151/pr, I'd almost consider making the trip to pick them up. (Probably a long day's drive each way from here.) To be honest, I'd almost rather pick up something like this than have it shipped. Incorrect packing can be dangerous.

Anyone else ever have to pass up a great auction, only because the seller can't ship it?

2. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Wow- $203 for those does seem like a bargain. Polk made some fantastic speakers back then. I have a cheaper pair of RTA-8T's from 1988 I love and still use daily.

As for shipping- I would really hate to think of the shipping AND packing costs of something like that. I would actually feel a bit more secure getting them myself, and I would have a 6 hour drive to get there.

I remember those for sale back then- but I can't remember what the cover looked like over the top mounted electronics. Actually- did the seller even have covers for these?

Chris

3. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I drove ~3 hours one way to pick up one gutted speaker cabinet for $20. I used it to clone it as my first wood project. They are my main speakers now. ESS amt1t
    I am always good for a drive to get stereo stuff.
    Shoot I used to drive over 45 minutes one way to pick up a oop DVD to sell for a $20 profit on ebay.

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

The cover was "open" all the way around...sort of like a frame supporting the grill cloth over the speakers. I did see one photo with the covers on, but those photos were very dark.

$203 WAS a good bargain, and I'm sorry I missed it. (These have a blue book value of about $240/pair.) The Monitor 10's usually go for over $300. I think the lack of a shipping option kept the price low. I agree though--on one hand, I'm disappointed they could not be shipped. But on the other, I've had larger speakers shipped before, and they arrived intact except for one half inch gouge on one of the corners.

I did have someone offer to pick these up in a few weeks for me, but unfortunately my money situation was a little tight this time around and I thought I'd better wait for another good deal to come around.

I wouldn't mind driving up to four or five hours in any direction to pick up something like this, but Maryland for me would be a day's trip in each direction. Thing is, I've seen other auctions for larger speakers that were "pickup only". I thoroughly understand why, but it is disappointing. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.