ebay seller jacks up price, like an amazon seller.....

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by bru87tr, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule Thread Starter

So I email a seller on ebay about a japan cd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260529829557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It is priced at $9.99 and I ask about the matrix, hoping to find the gold faced 1A1 pressing as I already own the regular 3/4 blackfaced Japan cd. Even if it was the 1A1 gold face, I still would not have bought it cause of his tactics.

he jacks the price up to $19.99 and emails me this.......

"Hi Ralph,
    CD is in excellent condition. You'd be lucky and wise to find and purchase this CD in this condition! How many crinkles are in your money? What were the serial numbers on the bills of the last cash deposit you made friend? I am particular about selling to people who deposit old bills. I don't make it practice to sell trashed garbage. Fact is, the worst thing about this was the case and since I shipped some CD's to Germany without cases at request of buyer so I gave this a nicer case which only has a couple of shelf marks. Regarding the center hub numbers you asked for, they are 35DP 11A7.

I guess I can see where you wondered as I accidentally priced this wrong. Still lower than you will buy a Japanese Import at a CD store but it was supposed to be $19.99 + $3.00 shipping. Since you are so interested I was nice enough to send a ready to go PayPal request. Once paid your CD will be dispatched ASAP.
    Thanks for your interest."

You believe this guy ? I asked one question and he thinks I am all desperate to buy it.

First time I ever encountered this with an ebay seller.

This guy is a real prize!!!!! :laugh:

2. Hopstretch

Hopstretch New Member

Perhaps he got a look at your signature! ;)

3. phish

phish Jack Your Body

if the cd is worth $20, i'd buy it. he may not have had a clue why you sought the information you asked... before i joined here, i never heard of the loudness war or read matrix numbers on cds... i still don't read them actually.

4. bru87tr

only if he is a member here. :D

5. bru87tr

I guess you don't mind people pulling a rug out from under you either, eh ? :laugh:

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It's still a hell of a lot cheaper than every other eBay copy.

7. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i know what you are saying, but it's $10... plus what jay said above.

8. bru87tr

I bought mine on ebay for $9.99 and $3 shipping from an ebay seller in mint condition.

It is not the first time I have seen this cd that cheap.

sure, some may buy it for that and it is very well worth $19.99, but thats not the point here.

I guess if a store jacked up the price to double on something you brought to the register , you would be ok with that ?

You guys are missing the point. :confused:

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I get your point, but not everything is about injured ego.

I'm curious, though, since you already have a copy, why did you e-mail the guy?

10. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Hey, I got a Mustang for sale!

What do you mean what year is it? `69 or `79, who cares? It has new tires!

11. bru87tr

You are joking, right Jay ?

ego ? has nothing to do with ego. you got a strange way of thinking.

did you read my first post ? obviously not!!! I was asking to see if it was the gold faced 1A1 pressing. :confused:

12. bru87tr

lol... someone gets it.

jeez, sorry I posted. I would have thought people would get a kick out of it. instead I get people who like to be fooled when they buy something. :shake:

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It sounded as if you were interested in buying the CD until the guy raised the price to $19.99, even though the next cheapest copy was priced at $39.99. Do forgive me for interpreting this as your having taken personal offense at this affront.

14. bru87tr

Do you like to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing ?

I was not interested in buying the cd. I inquired about it, if it were the one I was looking for (the gold faced cd) I was interested. It was not the gold faced cd.

Did you not hear what I said ? I said I already own the same pressing he has. what don't you understand ? or did you still not read my first post ?

It does not matter if there is another one for $39.99 on ebay. thats not the point here and not sure what you don't get about it. I guess you feel it would be ok for someone to post a cd here , you PM to claim it and buy and he says, sorry... I have to raise the price to double just because you are interested ?

He did not raise the price till after my second email. I asked for the catalog# and he stated it. I then asked about the matrix and thats when he decided it was worth more cause I asked something special about it.

He didn't price it incorrectly.

To me thats not good selling practice.

15. phish

phish Jack Your Body

maybe he didn't realize "what he had" until you started questioning him and maybe he's being nice by selling it for "half price"???

16. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Goodbye, Ralph.

17. bru87tr

Why are you guys giving him an excuse for bad selling pratices ?

It doesn't matter if he sold it for a $1 at this point. I am not interested, I HAVE IT!!!!

The point is his selling practices.

He still doesn't know what he has. If he did he would have priced it the first time at $19.99 . You dont assume somone wants to buy it and send a paypal request for payment before I even bought it off ebay, which I was NOT gonna do because I ALREADY OWN IT!!!

How is it nice he is selling it for half price ? half price of what ? the next cheapest copy ? so he is doing me a favor jacking the price up to double because the next cheapest copy on ebay is $39.99 ?

I am truly shocked at the responses here, or maybe I am not. not the first time I have hear people with no common sense.

you guys just don't get it. I give up! Sometimes I wonder why I post here. :confused:

18. bru87tr

you are right, it is good! :D

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

the chicks.

am i right?

;o)

i'm just saying that maybe he is a nice guy that didn't know what he had until you asked multiple questions, which got him to checking around and realizing that he had disc worth more than the normal price for a less superior mastered cd.

i guess i just reserve judgment of people until i know them, rather than through a couple of ebay emails...

what i'm saying is quite plausible.

20. bru87tr

ya, the chicks! ;)

I hear what your saying, but the point of my post was to point out how someone would do that. I think its terrible someone would try to take advantage of your interest.

I personally would never do that. Besides the way he went about it was odd. requsting paypal payment (he actually sent a paypal request for the total) and I did not even buy the item!

I guess I am the fool, huh ? :D

Nobody thought that email was a bit odd ?

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Jay, you just don't get it. All you had to do is read Ralph's first post to see where he was coming from. Instead, you just chose to argue for the sake of making a point that is wholly incorrect. Beautiful.

22. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

I'm with Ralph. He doesn't sound like a nice guy to me. If I were to describe him, there'd be a bunch of asterisks right here instead of teeth...:D

23. bru87tr

sometimes I wonder if it's me or others.:hide:

I just cannot get why some people want to argue, for no reason or point at all.

I was just posting for a good laugh and wondering if anyone would post similar experience. The wonder that some people actually conduct business like this amazes me. Instead I get more than I bargained for and wonder , is it me ? :laugh:

Back to sanity!!!:D This is exactly why I stopped (or very little) posting for quite a while and stuck to the classifieds. I guess we don't all think with logic or sense.

I should know better and stick to the classifieds. I think this time I have finally learned to crawl back in my hole and just keep to myself.

My head is still spinning from some of the responses.

Appreciate guys. :righton:

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What a jerk, asking you about the serial numbers on your money. I hate when jerks make fun of something because they think nothing matters outside of their knowledge base.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What a friggin' d-head. Unless the CD is worth WAY more than he's asking, there's no way I'd buy anything from him. And if it IS worth WAY more than he's asking, once I had it in my hands I'd email him and tell him what is was worth...maybe even make up a story how you sold it for a couple of hundred or something.

The price change is hardly the worst of it. The tone of his email is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.