Ed Sheeran is officially the biggest, most attended and highest grossing of all time.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

At least he can sing. Like his style or not, I'm always encouraged when stripped down real musicians do well.

Grahamstuartcanada likes this.
  2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

He has talent, but the most ever attendance? Go figure...something to do with the film "Yesterday" may haps?

It takes something to stand on the stage in front of tens of thousands, just guitar in hand.
    I'll always admire such...saw Laura Nyro live onstage, just Laura and her grand piano...twenty-two years old and with four amazing albums to her credit in three years. Of course I'm not comparing her immense talent to Ed's...shouldn't mentioned be in the same threads...sorry Laura.

:agree:

Buddybud likes this.
  3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I think it's a pride thing to avoid him...coupled with a tinge of fear that their Rock Gods are being threatened in some fashion.

Never understood that. Records [no pun intended] are made to be broken, and younger generations have their own things they will enjoy. Why the butt hurt here? Your Pepper album is still there, Ed's not coming to your house to burn down your vinyls.

Malinky and joeriz like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's one of the many annoying trends we see here.

People bitch and moan that modern pop stars are all smoke and mirrors, Autotuned no-talents who hide behind 100 producers and flashy clothes/videos.

Average dude who just plays guitar and sings comes out - and they bash him too, even though Sheeran is exactly the kind of artist they claim to want to hear! :wtf:

5. Oatsdad

No. The movie came out late June 2019 and the tour ended 2 months later. Sheeran had already sold a bajillion tickets before the movie arrived...

bhazen likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

OH...ok, then I don't get it after all.

:shake:

7. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

They pretty much "hear what they want to hear". Someone like Ed Sheeran but not Ed Sheeran:shrug:

Malinky and Oatsdad like this.
  8. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

There's great music in 2020 but Ed Sheeran is none of it.

Lana Del Rey, Frank Ocean, Tyler The Creator, Kanye West, Billy Strings, Ty Segall, The Drums, Songs of our Native Daughters, Daniel Caesar, Sturgill Simpson etc have all released albums in the last few years that make Ed Sheeran sound like something your mother might listen to.
    Beyonce's LEMONADE is beyond anything this guy could ever do.
    There's no confusion or old-guy issues: your boy is straight up pap.

Ryan Lux and averica like this.
  9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

He's not the biggest. No way. Big, yes. But biggest? No. I imagine the most popular act in the world is probably some of the K-Pop megastars.

10. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

He's not my cup of tea, but good for him.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was just being honest...I totally understand where you are coming from and I have no problem with anything you've said...

Malinky likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

What's there to get? Sheeran is very popular so he sells lots of tickets.

Not sure what makes this confusing! :shrug:

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

@Malinky said "western world". I know BTS has done very well in the US - dunno about other K-poppers. Not on the same level as Sheeran's sales...

Malinky likes this.
  14. lemonade kid

Music is only dated in the ear of the beholder...

:righton:

15. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

He's as poppy and attractive as Phil Collins was at the same age. But he doesn't have a generation of Prog Rock fans to disappoint consistently.

Seems like the kid has it made to me. Now give me those three minute acoustic love ballads that make me feel all warm and toasty like a Disney Rom Com!

Ryan Lux likes this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

If this is boring, then I love being bored:

footlooseman and lemonade kid like this.
  17. lemonade kid

Chicago Transit Authority & Chicago (II) are classic LPs...still have my original NM vinyl and they never fail to amaze. Terry Kath is stunning throughout. And the magical Danny Seraphin is an inspiring drummer for me.

Timeless. Yes..."the whole world's watching".
    Nothing boring there.

Best seller and very talented as he is, I am guessing that Sheeran won't be listened to or collected nearly so faithfully as much as our many treasured sixties artists' "canon"... 50 years on...

:tiphat:

footlooseman and yesstiles like this.
  18. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup:

19. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've said this before, but I think his appeal is mysterious for anyone under the age of, say, 35.

I find his music utterly devoid of interest, though I don't find it offensive, either.

starduster and Sneaky Pete like this.
  21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Stop with this nonsense!! Are you all trying to tell me that this guy "Ed Sheeran" has sold more records than Gary Lewis and The Playboys?

22. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

Hey, I love Chicago II and Ed Sheeran.

I haven't seen Ed live since he was playing slightly smaller venues like Radio City Music Hall and Madison Square Garden, but his live shows were impressive as all get out and a blast to attend.

unclefred likes this.
  23. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

He makes Passenger look like 60's Dylan. He is a horrible sell out and a giant *rse. the pinnacle of below mediocre pop music. I wouldn't call him a musician, he's more a business man. unlike his female colleagues he as nothing to wiggle and squeeze into the bursting camera lens (or short, no physical attractions) so he has to think harder to produce something that makes him stay relevant. I give him that, he found a formula to make money with a mixture of half pretencious hipster crap followed by occasional dub step influences or anything that is in fashion now and outdated tomorrow, while looking like a prebubescent leprechaun. He's to music what Adam Sandler is for comedy, but ultimately he's just one of many in the past 60 years, but the difference is now there's barely anything else. Almost every stupid 90's dance track had more artistic value than the stuff today.

If you find spelling errors keep them, it's Shed Eeeran... I really don't care

24. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

He's still not as big as Slim Whitman!!

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I won't argue he's the highest gross!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.