Efficient used speakers under $5k

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CarmineRed, Aug 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

You should really consider a pair of Tannoy Saturn Floor standers. Fantastic sounding speakers, very efficient at 93 and can be had around $,1000 used.

2. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    One type/brand of speaker that I would recommend (listening to) would be Ohm loudspeakers. They are really different to traditional loudspeakers. They don't measure as sensitive as the big horns but the way they disperse sound, omni-directionally, gives them a far bigger sound than their size and/or sensitivity would suggest.

I heard these at the last New York Audio Show (three years ago now) and I was really impressed. The speakers really filled the room and they sounded realistic and coherent. They don't compress sound down into sweet spots like traditional speakers but give a sweet room of sound instead (a much larger coherent soundfield). Plus all the models fit well within your budget. I recommend giving these a listen (if for nothing else than hearing how a different kind of loudspeaker technology can sound).

Ohm Speakers | Custom Audiophile Speakers for Music & Home Theater

5-String and CarmineRed like this.
  3. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

I don't think you can count the Ohms as "efficient speakers"...but they get a lot of love and you rarely seem them up for resale...but weirdly enough, I check and a pair just hit the preowned market....

OHM Walsh 5 MKII - Just back from refresh

4. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person Thread Starter

Any feedback on Joseph Audio Pulsar2? Can't find efficiency numbers but they are 8ohm and dip to 6ohm.

aorecords likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the original pulsars are 83.5db measured. good chance you will find them bright.
    another shot would be the Spendor Audio D7.2, Upscale has them and they should "deal" quite well. a 2.5 way tower with transmission line like bottom firing port.
    i own them and love them, 90db, deep bass without subwoofer because of the port, crystal clear and ultra clean / refined, lots of jump without horn shoutiness, works with a variety of amplifiers low powered push pull tube to high powered SS.
    the only (2) drawbacks are a long break in time (150 hrs plus) and careful positioning- they sound best 3 feet from the wall, spread wide about 8- 9 feet and very little toe in.
    a little bit off and the sound falls apart. dial it in and you have a sound to really enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    CarmineRed likes this.
  6. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

That Jeff Joseph makes one helluva speaker.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  7. CarmineRed

I think I'm set on Tannoy.

I think the front port of the Legacy line will work well in my room as it's kind of shallow. Room is 19' wide, 9' ceiling and only 12' deep, couch is 2 1/2' from the back wall, so it doesn't give me a ton of space to pull the speaker from the wall.

So thinking Cheviot, Arden maybe.......but that deal on the Turnberry is still there too.

8. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

My room is similar in size but with a ceiling open to the ridge. The Eatons have 10" drivers and are positioned on wood stands and isopucks on the long side, 8' apart, 3' in and 5' from sides. My head is 3' from back wall and 9' from speakers which are heavily toed in firing 18" in front of head. It took a long time to find this optimal position and they certainly fill the space! Closer to rear wall accentuated some mid bass in this room but it doesn't have much soft surfaces or treatment.

Good luck with your search.

jonwoody and woody like this.
  9. Chris81

Chris81 Forum Resident

Are you sure?
    DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 loudspeaker Measurements ;)

;)

10. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

11. avanti1960

congrats and good luck.
    i did not care for the sound of the tannoy XT8F because i heard a lack of refinement in the midrange with an 8 inch woofer handing off to a tweeter. i assumed the tannoy legacy series would be worse because they use 10 in to 15 in woofers, all without a midrange driver.
    the tannoy kensington i heard last april at axpona did not have this type of issue and sounded very good with zesto amplification. if you like the smoking jacket pipe and slippers styling these should work well.
    thinking about axpona reminded me of yet one final suggestion if the tannoys do not work out-
    the volti audio razz.
    these are HE horns and sounded fantastic driven by a 300b SET amp. they take the klipsch heritage idea and add an increased amount of style and refinement and no cabinet coloration. i have heard the Razz on many occasions and they are always super smooth, warm and with no brightness at all. for your reference.
    Volti Audio Razz, Best Small Horn Loudspeaker, Sold Direct

CarmineRed likes this.
  12. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure those Tannoys will sound great...and if not, Tannoy is an easy resell.

Frank Bisby and CarmineRed like this.
  13. CarmineRed

Do they sound anything like the speakers I'm looking at or liking right now? Man, I'm not sure........my M3 Triode Masters was not my jam at all! Really wanted to like that speaker but it was so weird and muted, veiled sound. Not sure if it was my room, the speakers, or what.

jusbe likes this.
  14. CarmineRed

Volti Razz has been on my list to try for some time. I actually really like horns, if the brightness is controlled.

jonwoody and avanti1960 like this.
  15. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

T he Razz is also on my list....but at the Florida Audio Show, I much preferred the Rival...but they are a little to heavy to be practical...and above my budget....but really good sound.

16. avanti1960

very well controlled. possibly a little too dark for my system

CarmineRed likes this.
  17. CarmineRed

Thank you everyone for the help and guidance thru this all.

I found a way to get the Turnberry's shipped and will make a decision this weekend I think BUT for the same price ($6k) I found a pair of Spendor SP100R2 with stands that are within driving distance (4 hours, so wouldn't drive just to hear).

Hate to ask again about a speaker but anyone have experience with the SP100R2? I have never heard them but have heard wonderful things about spendor and I'm obviously a fan of the British sound.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  18. layman

layman Forum Resident

I heard the Spendor SP100R2 a few years ago at a show. I would say they are definitely worth a listen. They have a very different sound than the Tannoys. The Spendors come from the BBC-School of loudspeakers, which means life-like vocals and really natural sounding instrumental tone colors. The Spendors don't sound exciting in a short audition but they are easy to live with long term.

timind and Helom like this.
  19. superultramega

superultramega Forum Resident

Looks alone I’d go Spendor SP100R2

20. avanti1960

@Helom loves them. I like the sound of the Spendor classics but they might be a touch too colored for my tastes. At 88db measured they will not have the quickness and output of higher efficiency speakers and you may find yourself wishing for more power.

CarmineRed likes this.
  21. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

There were a few suggestions to investigate Altec speakers and your situation seems to be a good fit for Altec. Most of the other suggestions require you to essentially accept the speaker as designed. Your budget would allow you to purchase a vintage pair of Altec Barcelona, or Valencia speakers, have them fully rebuilt, have custom crossovers made, and possibly add an additional tweeter. You would be able to customize your speakers to your unique preferences and requirements instead of working around someone else's compromises.

Large JBL would be another option, but at higher cost. However, what you want may be achievable in your budget, with both luck and patience. Altecs would be both easier and likely cheaper to implement.

Your LM amp should be sufficient to drive the speakers to levels beyond what is safe. Then again, I know a few people who use 100wpc+ to drive vintage horns.....

Frank Bisby likes this.
  22. CarmineRed

It's a great idea and something I would probably usually be interested in but it's time to get some speakers that my wife will actually accept too ;). The Tektons were not successful in that, she didn't mind the spatial M3's, really liked the heresy III, she hated the cornwalls, haha it's time to get a decent looking speaker too.

She surprisingly really likes the looks of the Tannoys, thought they would be too "grandpa" looking but I think they have enough retro cool looks to them that they are acceptable. d

jonwoody likes this.
  23. CarmineRed

If I get the Tannoy then I'm going to stick with my LM BUT I've been thinking about another option, which is if I need the extra power for another speaker is to sell the LM, get a much nicer pre, something with tubes still (McIntosh 2300?) and then use the bad ass class D amp I have for power. Would give me some tube warmth with the pre and then the surprisingly musical digital amplifier co class D amp.

So I have options. Might even go that route anyway and then in time upgrade the amp to some tube monos. Would then give me a end game pre, end game speakers etc. I don't think the LM is end game for me.

jonwoody likes this.
  24. Zoroastra

Zoroastra Forum Resident

You spent all this time trying to match a good sounding speaker within your budget to a Line Magnetic Integrated. Why do you think a McIntosh Pre into some no-name "bad ass" class D amplifier would sound better?

25. CarmineRed

Yeah, I'll move on from that comment.....

Another pair of Turnberrys came up, within driving distance and waiting for me. I'll make a decision probably today on which direction but the more and more I talk to the owner of the Spendors the more I want to own them, a class act of a person, and the speakers aren't half bad either! At 89db I think they would still work well with the LM or even with the Digital Audio Co if needed down the road.

Tough decision without having both in my room but don't see how that could really happen at the moment.

jonwoody, Frank Bisby and mreeter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.