Electric Guitar - Jazz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ferric, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Yep many of my Japanese friends that were guitarist loved Tal Farlow's stuff but specifically there Japan LP's of him they thought were better than what was offered here in the States.

2. Beatle Terr

Wow I missed that show somehow, I must of had a late night when he was on as I always watched Carson. That must of been great to see and hear.

3. Beatle Terr

FerrIc Man,
    In my post I mentioned Howard Roberts and I was trying to remember a specific LP of his which as I said was recorded on the Capitol label so here's the Title to it.

"HOWARD ROBERTS IS A DIRTY GUITAR PLAYER"

He does a great version of Watermelon Man on it ya just gotta hear!!

4. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam Thread Starter

Beatle Terr,

Thanks for your suggestions. I ordered Tal Farlow- Swingin' Guitar, Howard Roberts - Dirty Guitar/Funky 2fer; Barney Kessel - Poll Winner.

It seems "Tal" is out of print. I will keep looking for the other recs.

Ferric

5. Beatle Terr

Anytime I can help anyone here, I am most happy to do so. Feel free to PM me I will get back to you ASAP.

6. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

There've been a few good recommendations of Tal Farlow. Let me add that his work in the last version of Artie Shaw's small group in the 50's is fantastic. These are among the greatest of all jazz recordings in my opinion. The two collections on Music Masters (Last Recordings and More Last Recordings) should not be missed. If you want a nice collection covering Shaw's whole career with a very good full disk of selections from these last recordings, get the recent 5 cd box on RCA (Portrait). Great music all the way through--especially if you're a swing or clarinet fan--but for me it's those last dates that are the killers.

L.

7. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Don't forget the late, great George Barnes! David Grisman's Acoustic Disc label recently released a live recording from 1977 featuring the George Barnes Quartet entitled "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" (HDCD). I highly recommend this CD for all fans of jazz guitar.

8. Beatle Terr

Excellent Recommendation!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.