Electric guitarists, what amplifier do you use? Photos, please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Here is my amp -- Allen Sweet Spot. I found this picture on the Internet -- my differs in that I have what I call the more traditional Fender black "skirted" knobs and the red "on/off" light.
    [​IMG]
    The website of David Allen: Allen Amplification - Quality Tube Guitar Amps, Kit, Parts, and Repairs

Allen, along with Headstrong (0Headstrong Amplifiers hand wired Tweed and Blackface replica clone Fender Style Tube amps ), make Fender clones, along with other amps. The Sweet Spot is a Fender Princeton Clone. The one difference is that David Allen has a RAW mid/gain boost control, and one of the knobs on the front is labeled "Middle." To turn it up produces a gritty, mild-moderate OD. I agree that it makes the amp more versatile.

Frankly at 18w with 6V6, it is just too loud for me. I tried to tame it by replacing the 12" speaker, but what I need to do is pony up for a Tone King Ironman II mini attenuator. I'm mulling it, but I am more impressed by video clips of that attenuator than others in that price range. David Allen builds quality amps.

aa

thxphotog, RDriftwood and 56GoldTop like this.
  2. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I've been playing a Marshall DSLCR 40.

[​IMG]

thxphotog and RDriftwood like this.
  3. Argus1

Argus1 Well-Known Member

Sunn Model T

RDriftwood likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I bought one of these, broken, for $10 at a flea market and resoldered a loose cap and was good to go. Also threw in a vintage 12AX7 for the hybrid amp. It sounded so damn good to me I sold off more expensive Fender and Roland amps and just have this little Valvetronic. I also could dump some pedals. I downsized.

Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    RDriftwood likes this.
  5. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

Sunn fan here. Used to have a 2000S when I was playing bass in a bar band - a very long time ago. I currently have a Sorado with a 15" in a ported/baffle cab. Best bass amp in the house. For bass, I like it better than my early 1964 Showman and Bassman.

[​IMG]
    Shown with 1965 Jazz Bass w/ natural body only refin.

[​IMG]

6. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

Wish I could play like Eric Johnson. [​IMG]

56GoldTop likes this.
  7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

So cool to see a Sunn amp! I remember those back when I was in high school in Houston (1967-71) and later.

RDriftwood likes this.
  8. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

I am in love with my guitar amp. Nothing has the right to sound this good.

[​IMG] Hand built Vyse Amps custom BlackFace Fender Deluxe Reverb AB763 circuit. Custom options were single channel only, negative feedback switch, line out with attenuator, mid control, parallel tube effects send and return with mix control, master gain control, and a Weber 12A125A 12" speaker. All NOS tubes from 50's-70's (nine of them, from RCA, Mullard, and Brimar).

I moved the reverb tank around a bit, and rewired the whole thing with better connectors and shielded cable, and it's silent all the way up on the dial now. Sounds glorious. The parallel line level FX send is tube, and the return is tube too, so whatever digital FX you put in it is sandwiched between NOS tubes. ;) I have the Eventide H9 Max and a Fromel Seraph Deluxe (dimensional chorus) in there and it sounds amazing.

I'm into using the Reamp with it too, means I can send anything from the PC/mastering console at line level, into the tube amp, then re-record it with the KM84 and TG2 pre. Has worked wonders on vocals if you mix the tube amp sound low under the dry vocal etc.

9. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Those big power amp tubes are NOS RCA brown base 7125/6V6GTY. Best I have tried in that position.

RDriftwood likes this.
  10. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Here's my current amp. Bought it a couple of weeks ago after selling my Fender Super Champ from 1985.

[​IMG]

11. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Got tired of having amps I was having trouble lifting. Current have a Swart Spacetone and an Vintage Sound Vintage 15 (Princeton Clone). The Swart has its own sound. Less frequently used: a small stereo Amp (Roland KC-110), a Peavey Nashville 112 (for steel) and a Gallen Krueger MBS-III for bass (very small).
    Swart Spacetone
    Vintage Sound vintage 15

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Marshall 1974X (two of them)
    Fender Pro Jr.
    Boss Katana 50 (for practice)
    SDG 5E3 DeLuxe clone

Currently considering a Quilter Micropro Mach 2 12" ... a friend of mine plays in a Robin Trower tribute band, and with a few Fulltone pedals, NAILS RT's sound. A very impressive, versatile amplifier ...

A few years ago, I'd have snorted at the idea of solid-state amps ever being able to replace tubes in the hearts of guitarists.* Not now -- Boss, Roland, Orange (the bigger Crush amps), Quilter and probably others are finally giving players the option of ditching the maintenance issues of tube rigs ... and also weight. S.s. amps are often much lighter, saving the backs of old fossils like me when lifting in/out the car boot.

*In the world of hifi, s.s. has been my choice for decades. I doubt I could reliably identify one from the other in an blind test.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    IRG likes this.
  13. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I play one of those through one of these.....I am the guitarist for an Americana/Alt country style artist and need to be able to go from clean to twang to dirt from song to song. This one can do all that very well. Plus, 6V6 power tubes have always been my favorite.

bhazen, 56GoldTop and riknbkr330 like this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

What convinced me were two Fenders. First a Bassman TV Fifteen--which has a tubed preamp but not amplification. Forking amazing amp for bass or guitar. (Heavy bugger though. . . eat your Wheaties). Second a Jazzmaster Ultralight SE (mine was a prototype version with only one channel and no effects and a beautiful red wine finish). There is not one tube in this amp/cabinet combo and no need for one. Great clean vivid jazz tone.

bhazen likes this.
  15. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

When I played I had a Twin Reverb and a Bandmaster, both from the very early 60s. My guitars were a 1964 Gretsch Tennessean, 1957 Les Paul Jr, and a 1959 Firebird. I bought everything used except for the Gretsch which set my parents back $240 w/tax and a case. Both of the Gibsons were less than $200 apiece in 1971.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  16. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

I've got an lively little VOX AC4TV (10" speaker). Only ever play at home, but would still like an AC15 one day.

My wife has (and gigs with) with a Boss Katana 100.

bhazen likes this.
  17. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I love my Roland Blues Cube Artist. I've had a number of tube amps over the years, but since I'm mainly just a stay at home player, the tube amps never really worked for me well. Too loud some of them (most of them) and to get them to sound good, you really need to turn them up. The BCA sounds great clean, and the overdrive channel sounds nice too, but it excels with all pedals. I love fuzz, distortion, overdrive in front of the amp, and my delays/reverb/modulation sound great in the effects loop.

Excellent, diverse amp. Works well at home on the 1/2watt or 15 watt setting, and the 40w and 80w setting work great for louder/bigger venues. Best of both worlds. Easy to transport too. Not inexpensive though, so I didn't buy it thinking I would save money. But it works well for me, really a hidden gem, and you won't find many in retail stores - mostly online with bigger retailers for some reason.

bhazen and Shiver like this.
  18. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

1955 Fender Super 2 x 10"
    1959 Epiphone Triumph 1 x 12"
    1960 Gibson Gibsonette Tremolo 1 x 10"
    1962 Fender Vibrolux 1 x 12"

If they are taller than my knees they are disqualified for use.

I love the older amps for build quality, looks and the right proportions of clarity and sting. I much prefer my distortion coming from the back side of the amp when pushed as apposed to squeezed out of the front.

19. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Any Katana users out there? The other forum I frequent is VGuitarfForums, They're popular over there. Very flexible and can provide clean sound for guitars with synth pickups.

bhazen likes this.
  20. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I love mine as well ( see my post a couple pages back). There are lower cost/watt versions now.
    Boss also had a lower priced version as well (Roland and Boss are same company).

21. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

I’m setting this up this weekend to do some fuzzed out stoner riffs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done A Ton likes this.
  22. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Anyone play a Mesa Boogie Fillmore amp?

The voicing of the amp does have my attention.

bhazen likes this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Fender-y? Dumble-y?

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'm not a 'musician'. I just used to mess around on the guitar sometimes. Used to own a 'high-quality vintage musical equipment store' - guitars, amps, & brass.

'64 Gibson LG-1 hollow body.

'68 Gibson Melody Maker, double pickup, SG style - solid black (repainted - nice pro job).
    '67 Fender Vibro Champ amp (really nice). Stock.
    Small Marshall amp that sounds 'super sweet' for some unknown reason. Everyone zooms into that amp and enjoys playing it, which was fine by me.

'83 Fender Precision Base Elite, M-, silver gray color with original hard shell case.
    Small Peavy Base amp. Can't remember the model number but it's a 'heavy' little amp.

Had a '60s Gibson Jazz hollow body, can't remember the exact year or model number but I gave it to my brother because he needed a hollow body for stage. He was the 'real musician' in the family. It was a really nice guitar.

Never took a photo of any of the gear. Maybe I should! :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    GreatTone and Lonson like this.
  25. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

Added the Magnatone Panoramic Stereo to the herd. The pitch shifting vibrato just knocks me out

[​IMG]

Funky54, duneman and ds58 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.