Electric guitarists, what amplifier do you use? Photos, please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Current setup...
    Mesa Single Rectifier and recto cab
    Marshall 6100 LM and 1960 cab

And my fav Marshall JCM 900 SLX which normally sits on a diy improved Marshall 1960.

Also owned a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100, JCM 900 dual reverb and a Peavey Valve King combo in the past.

[​IMG]

mdent likes this.
  2. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

The cleans lean toward a vintage Fender. Yet, I like the breakup at volume. Mesa notes it's vintage-voiced and I suppose that's a generically apt description. I'm debating one at some point but the price tag makes me want to wait and look at the used market.

bhazen likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Does it drive anyone else besides me, that Mesa (and others) make such a confusing array of amps?? Looking at their website gave me retail glaze, and a headache ... plus, some of their amps have so many knobs and switches it looks like you'd need a weekend seminar just to learn how to operate the stupid thing.

An amp needs: 1) Volume; and 2) Tone.* With an amp like that, it either sounds good when you first fire it up -- or it doesn't, and you move on.

*See: Marshall 1974X, old Fender tweeds like Champs and Deluxes, etc.

duneman and riknbkr330 like this.
  4. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I love Fender tweeds and a cranked Twin Reverb with a Strat makes me want to play all night! Yet, depending on the room and style one plays having the ability to tweak some frequencies on an amp is a huge plus for me. If an amp sounded the same everywhere it is played - life as a guitarist could be much cheaper!

bhazen likes this.
  5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

This amp looks fascinating!

:yikes:

[​IMG]

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My Fender Excelsior only has a slider switch with two tone settings (plus a 'hidden' one in the middle). :love:

[​IMG]

Funky54 and bhazen like this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Apparently it sounded good when you first fired it up ... :D

Is this a recent amp model ...? I like the vintage look ...

[Edit] Never mind, looked it up ... been around for 7 years as part of the Pawnshop line.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  8. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Currently using a Metroamp 1968 12000 series Marshall 100watt clone head and a couple of vintage reissue Marshall 100watt cabinets. Also a Vox AC15C1 with a Celestion Alnico Blue speaker.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Rick S., on Flickr

Funky54, bhazen, mdent and 1 other person like this.
  9. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

A point-to-point hand wired '59 Bassman Clone.

10. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Ill post a photo when I get home later, but I think it is pretty obvious what I play. Its a 1974 that has been blackfaced.

11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I've got to the point in my life where I'm ready to sell off some of the crown jewels but it's so hard to choose which ones. I recently decided to part with my Tone King Imperial-Turquoise/white, very early model, one of the first 40 some with the 61 Tremolux style trem. Then it's on to the vintage Fenders and I'm all over the place. I hate to but I can probably let go of the 63 brown 4X10 Concert. It's the last variation with the vibrato that you either love or hate. I'm neutral about it and rarely use it. It sounds like a Bassman in the Normal channel and has the presence knob for fine tuning the high end. Only thing is it doesn't have OG speakers,Jensesn RI's. I also have a near mint 68 Princeton that's just spectacular but it can go too. That's the first round with a few more to go .:(

12. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast

[​IMG]
    Silkyn Super 50 6L6 50 watt tube amp. This thing sings!

Funky54 likes this.
  13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

My BF Deluxe was sounding great this week. Who needs on board reverb?

[​IMG]

Boulder Bob and misterdecibel like this.
  14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I've got one of those, "MI" date code - September 1963. It's a lovely amp. I've got the Eminence EJ1240 speaker in it right now, which I quite like.

Boulder Bob likes this.
  15. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

Fender Electric (not Fender Musical)

16. Three quid

Three quid Chief Eggplant

Silvertone 1484. Sounds great if you like the cheap, dirty, overdriven sound....because it can’t really do anything else. I love it :D

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That change occurred sometime in late '65 or '66. I've got a '65 Champ-Amp that still says "FENDER ELECT. INST. CO."

Boulder Bob likes this.
  18. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

LOL, I guess you wouldn't like my Mesa Tremoverb 2 12 combo. Plenty of options to tweak the sound. But, I do tend to agree with you, it either sounds good when you fire it up, or it doesn't. Luckily, the big Mesa does sound very good, just that you can mod your sound a little with some of the settings. It also has dual channels, so there is a setting for each channel and controls are duplicated for each channel. Another thing I basically agree with you, Mesa's line is pretty extensive...BUT I guess they need that coverage.

bhazen likes this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Well -- full disclosure -- I was just watching some video of the recent Stone Roses reunion tours, and John Squire was using Mesa Lone Star(?) combos (4 of them, I think.) He was getting a marvelous sound, whether playing a Les Paul, Stratocaster or Telecaster. Made me reconsider my prejudices! ... I'd consider going that way, were it not for the fact I live up three flights of stairs, and also would have to lift in/out the boot of my car. (I'm old and my shoulders are shot ...). They're heavy amps!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  20. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

I added the Mesa Quad and 50/50 pre/power combination to my rig recently... wanted a Mark IV but went with this instead to hopefully be a bit more faithful to the early MKIIC+ tones of Hetfield and Petrucci. Still gassing for a MKIV though.

[​IMG]

21. Django

Django Forum Resident

What are people's opinions on combos Vs. heads + cabs, as far as reliability ?

I'm playing 30 years. I've only every really used combos. A Marshall JCM800 2x12, a great rock amp but weights over 5 stone & A Laney LC30. Cheap, sounds good, but troublesome.
    I've had to get a lot of repairs done over the years. I'm not exactly touring the world.
    If I'm to buy a new amp I think I would go for a head & probably a 2x12 cab.

22. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

Just read an article in Premier Guitar about buying old Fender Amps (applies to old amps in general). Says a big factor contributing to unreliability is transporting the amp. It's easier to be gentle with something lighter so a separate head and cab might be more reliable in the long term. Also a separate cab can be a closed back (or ported) so you have sonic options you can't get with a combo (I like those cabs that have a removable panel in the back).

Also if the electronics are isolated from the speaker vibrations, that could help reliability.

That being said, I love to go to a gig in one trip -my combo on a two wheeler, a duffel with cords, pedals and such on top of the amp (the handles of the duffel draped over the handle of the two wheeler) and my guitar in a gig bag on my back like a backpack.

23. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

The one i use the most is a Fender Princeton Reverb 65. It was some kind of limited edition. I just saw it at the store, fell in love with the aesthetics and went home with it.

Not my picture, but same amp:

[​IMG]

24. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

I held my nose and dove into the digital age with a Fractal AX-8. I have to say, learning curve aside it has been a good move. Sounds great and has infinite potential.

I'm not one who sold off all of my traditional gear though. I have a Jet City 22h through a 212 with Warehouse speakers. Also a matching JCA-2112 combo with Warehouse speaker. No photos now but I've revamped the cosmetics to get rid of the blue theme.

25. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Ordered a Louis Electric "Columbia Reverb Amp" a few weeks ago, should be completed in a couple more. Hoping it'll make a nice modern compliment to my old stuff.
    Columbia Reverb Amp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.