Electric Light Orchestra - Time as originally intended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert Black, Sep 29, 2020.

1. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

2. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

3/3 At the very beginning of Twilight....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Carlos B, c-eling, Erchie and 5 others like this.
  3. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I saw that in the digital version too.......Standing in the Rain was on the famous or infamous video we have all see. Why that wasn't fact checked is beyond me. That's like the Stones putting out a social media post mentioning Bill Wyman playing on the 2016 album Blue and Lonesome!

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Thank you Shardender, for clarifying with respect to the Idle Race set. I wanted to check if I was missing anything by having only the 2cd released set, so your proposed outline helps. Still a shame it never happened to have all in one place.

Cool Time Tour photos

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Jarleboy, croquetlawns and lawrev like this.
  5. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I know I have more Time Tour photos, some pretty sharp in focus. And some excellent Hall and Oates ones too, as they opened the twin bill.

6. bluedemon25

Still have the slides? I know from decades ago I used once a slide scanner . Idk if they still make them. I wish I had good concert photos but I've only been able to with one exception take my crappy phone camera in with the sticky rules. Once they announced in advance non-pro cameras were permitted so for a Devo 2011 show I have some not terrible photos.

lawrev and Jarleboy like this.
  7. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I still have the slides. In fact, many of my early rock concert photos (except I took none at the Queen 1980 show at the Milwaukee Arena) are on slides. I have them but I am about 1300 miles from them at the moment.

8. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I see we have the latest ridiculous anniversary on social media.....When I was a boy 6th anniversary. What a load of horseplop

9. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

When I was a boy I had a dream about an Electric Light Orchestra Time 2 LP 40th Anniversary Legacy Edition!

Tomorrow is the 6th anniversary of "When I Was A Boy"! Make sure to give this one a listen this weekend. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    croquetlawns and lawrev like this.
  10. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

LOL

That song is actually the one I like the best from his two recent albums - and a very easy one to play also. And really, the one track that would fit in alongside classic (originally recorded) ELO.

11. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Yes indeed, except it's "When I Was a Boy" along with its title track "Alone in the Universe" for me!

mikew and croquetlawns like this.
  12. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

When I hear the drums on the title track to AITU, I have to turn it off. For some reason, the drums on When I was a Boy are not as obnoxious or droning as on the title track.

13. SFM1965

SFM1965 Well-Known Member

No I don't 'still subscribe' to that idea, I don't know why you'd imply I ever have.

Personally, I don't regard playing along to a backing tape from beginning to end of a song or a two minute segment performed as part of a medley as equivalent to what was attempted in the recent performances, so I can see why Lynne said that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    croquetlawns likes this.
  14. For those interested in going back to 1981... Backstory...Later last year, a local gentleman contacted me after hearing a couple of my ELO internet radio shows. Turns out he used to work in tape distribution (used to master the LPs and other formats) for Jet records in the US - and for a time with CBS. He's retired now and isn't looking for 'fame and fortune', but let me know that he made his own "safety copies" of tapes "just in case". Turns out he's a big ELO fan and enjoyed all the different directions Jeff Lynne took the ELO sound over the years. He's allowed me to visit and digitally copy those reel to reel tapes - and he has all the albums/single mixes from "On The Third Day" through "Secret Messages" - when he went on to other work, then retired. I had copied "TIME", which had the mastered sound we've all heard - and that tape also had the singles/b-sides on it from 1981. But earlier this year, digging through other tapes, he found another "TIME" copy on a tape labeled "Do Not Use"/"Safety Copy"/"Not Final Mix Sequence Only!". No recording date on it and he could not recall exactly where in the timeline before "TIME" was released, that the tape was recorded. He did recall it wasn't the final authorized mastering - but it had the original LP running order. So it was close to being finalized. No b-sides were on the tape - just the regular album. The times seem to be exactly the same as the final version, and the between song interludes and backwards stuff was already there. But the mix is different. It sounds close to the final mastering, but there are slight differences. There's less compression in the audio and the EQ is slightly different here and there. He believes some of those mixes may have been used in pre-release promotion of the album, but not sure. I'm posting the entire album on YouTube for everyone to enjoy. It premiers today (March 21, 2023) at 6pm CDT (if you're reading this afterwards, it should still be there). It is offered "as is" and some may or may not like the sound - as it is a little different than what we've heard for over 40 yrs. Enjoy!

15. mfcmad

mfcmad Touch and Go

Thank you Sir. I can't wait to hear it.

Jarleboy and marklamb like this.
  16. bluedemon25

Super groovy Thank you for your generosity and also I'd add thanks to the gentleman who shared it with you.

Jarleboy and BillWX like this.
  17. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Thanks for making this happen, and for the gentleman who provided the tape. I find this version more lively and spacious. More human, actually, among all the electronics.

18. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

In preparation for listening to the excellent release today, I reviewed this thread and read closely this Jet Records release. One word stuck out at me: MENTOR. Jeff was the band's mentor?
    In the 45 years I have been following ELO, I have never heard or read Jeff being referred to as the band's mentor.

That word is puffery (exaggeration, hyperbole), which is fine for a press lease. But if you asked the guys individually in the Summer of 1981 (or Mel or Hugh) whether Jeff was their mentor in reality, I suspect
    you would get some different characterizations.

19. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting...like looking at great art through brand new glasses...

20. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Hooray! Something ELO to get excited about again!!! Thank you, Bill!

21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks Bill! :)

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. dubious title

dubious title Senior Member

Amazing story, thank you for writing that up, and thank you for all the work digitizing and sharing. Very generous of you to share on the net.

I've listened to a few songs and it is a very rewarding listen. More detail in the transients of sounds, certain elements better featured in the mix, drums better heard and ultimately probably more air/space in the mix. I'm sure no one will agree, but is the final mix better suited to the artistic intent? I have "mixed" feelings about what the better approach is....

23. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Thanks Waldo Wilbury. ;) I hope this will build up for someone to eventually post the double album acetate of 18 songs "From Cassette 5-20-81"... :cool:

I'm holding on tight to my dream of a Time 2 LP!

Side 1
    1. Prologue
    2. Twilight
    3. Yours Truly, 2095
    4. Ticket to the Moon
    5. The Way Life's Meant to Be

Side 2
    1. When Time Stood Still
    2. Julie Don't Live Here
    3. (Title unknown)
    4. Another Heart Breaks

Side 3
    1. Rain is Falling
    2. From the End of the World
    3. The Lights Go Down
    4. Here is the News

Side 4
    1. 21st Century Man
    2. The Bouncer
    3. (Title unknown)
    Intro from Flashback in 2000
    4. Hold on Tight
    5. Epilogue

24. MS2023

MS2023 Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread and I have browsed through it quickly, but as far as the original track list for the mystical double LP of Time goes, there is one track that sticks out for me as a possible contender to fill in the blanks, and that is A Long Time Gone from Zoom. The lyrics are perfect, and the tune is someone reminiscent of When Time Stood Still.
    It might not have been recorded in 1980 or 81, but the song itself could have been written then. I'm not a fan of the suggestion of putting Love Changes All in near the end. That doesn't seem to fit well in the form we hear on Flashback.

25. F1fletch

F1fletch Forum Resident

I hope we get a modern audiophile treatment of Time (one step would be wonderful). I am sure this is wishful thinking at best, yet I still hope lol.