Ella Fitzgerald Centenary Celebration Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

toilet_doctor, Hotdog and MLutthans like this.
  2. The Ella Fitzgerald Sings The George and Ira Gershwin Song Books has shipped.

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Have not received my confirmation of that yet.

4. Got mine 15 minutes ago....

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I am counting the seconds till I get mine.....:righton:

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

JUST SHIPPED!!!!! :goodie::pineapple:

Mazzy likes this.
  7. We can't even order it over here!!!! :realmad:

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I was about to write that the 4-CD Ella 100 set was an overpriced disappointment, since at first glance it appeared there were no liner notes or text in the foldout digipak case. (Just a '30s photo of Ella and a few album cover thumbnails.)

However, there *is* a meager booklet stuck inside the right flap. An essay by Kirk Silsbee, and details of the 100 selections from her Decca and Verve years, 1936–1966. Produced by Didier Deutsch; mastered by Mike Piacentini @ Battery Studios, NY.

Overall, this strikes me as a minimal budget effort by Verve/UMe for Ella's Centennial.

9. The shape of things to come? Everybody says physical media is dying out. If that's true these big companies will not put much money into these kind of 'career retrospective' sets anymore.

paulmock, bozburn and Bob F like this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

UMe has turned out be quite a disappointment in handling the legacies of the careers to which they were appointed. Yes, some Sinatra LP reissues have been "spot on" and for that I am grateful. However, they are very much a "cost effective" company when it comes to production/representation. They have already given up on Bing. Mr. S's centennial was a mish-mosh at best. They are doing this for Ella but I am sure (unless these new sets sell big) she will soon go by the wayside as UMe sticks with $$$$$$ makers only.

basie-fan and SteveM like this.
  11. I agree but let's look at the Gershwin set specifically. How can this possibly "sell big" when it is 'limited' according to their own marketing and not even for sale outside the US? The UK site has one single Ella item for sale currently and that is a budget CD reissue of "Five Classic Albums". There is not even a mention of the Centenary at all. I think UMe is putting some effort in here for this year but then it'll be exactly as you have said: her name will fall by the wayside in terms of marketing and attention to new releases.

paulmock likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

This set is not available in the UK? Had not heard that!!!!

Joking of course. :)

On the serious side; there is always ebay, discogs and other online sources for beefing up the catalog with originals or prior reissues. Get the Kevin Gray Speakers Corner reissue - I doubt this version is better.

paulmock and SteveM like this.
  13. Yes, I appreciate that but the KG / SC version is long out of print and very, very pricey if you can find a copy (which I haven't done yet). There is a "sealed" copy on Discogs but I don't trust the seller as he refused to show a picture of it when I asked which version he was offering for sale. I noted in his feedback some negative comments from previous buyers complaining about supposedly sealed items turning up opened and scratched. I've had my fingers burnt too many times already to risk going there again!

paulmock likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ella is "out for delivery". Should be at my door when I get home from work. (I'm like a kid at Christmas!!!!)

16. I'm grinding my teeth with envy. Lol! I hope you're satisfied with your purchase. Let us know what you think when you've had an opportunity to play it all through! ;)

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Watch Ebay. I have seen several in nice condition.

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

BELIEVE ME, I am not trying to rub it anyone's face...I KNOW you are not taking it that way but just sayin'. ;)

Yes, 5 LP's plus the book (which is so damn small in the CD box set that I never was able to read it) plus all that great artwork finally in all it's 12" glory will be a tad much to absorb. So (as with my Bombay Sapphires at cocktail hour) I shall "sip" in small doses to be able to savor the entire experience.

19. Apparently my copy just swung by your house in LA on it's way to Seattle. Should here by Tuesday.

paulmock likes this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

In light of the comments made by @MLutthans and others re: the OP mono recordings, I just purchased this set of mono recordings (which appears to be a less-elaborate packaging) which are listed as NM to NM-. It was quite inexpensive IMHO and now I will be engulfed in Ella, Nelson and the Gershwins (and Sapphires) for quite an extended period of time.
    [​IMG]

sfoclt and MLutthans like this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I saw the plane go overhead just now! It's got the box set cover painted on it's tail!!!!!:winkgrin: It IS headed directly North.

22. My guess it will hit my Monday via UPS. LA is only 1600 miles away.

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WORD TO THE WISE...This is shipped UPS Signature required!!! I was not at home and they sent a text that they will deliver to a UPS drop-off point tomorrow (or next Business Day) where I will have to go pick it up and sign for it.:realmad:

24. I use the UPS app. I get a notice when shipped and can change delivery dates or hold for pickup if I choose.

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

So do I. However, this was never mentioned anywhere that it was a signature required shipment. If I knew it was I would have made arrangements to work from home today. As it turns out, the UPS Access Point is a Pawn Shop just a few blocks from my building. If they deliver tomorrow I can just casually stroll over there and pick it up. What's 1 more day and I am sure the shipper wanted the security of a signature for such a expensive item shipped for free.

I'll live....:sigh:

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.