Elliott Smith - Song by song discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by appearcomposed, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Thanks for this interesting summary of the book. I must say it sounds like an absolute pile of crap. I have the Autumn De Wilde book though I've never read it in full, I plan to this week though. I like the ‘Live at Largo’ CD that came with it, especially the lovely Quasi cover, 'Clouds'.

Also nice to see his funny side, during the Hank Williams cover he is falling about laughing. You can't help but smile listening to that !

Elliott Smith - All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    solveig and appearcomposed like this.
  2. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Lovely piano version of Miss Misery from the 2 Meter Sessions.

Dodoz and appearcomposed like this.
  3. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Just noticed this, on A Silver Chain :

Just curious about these potential uncirculating vocals. What makes you think he did a studio vocal take for it? I enjoy the studio instrumental a lot more than the sole murky live take, I like the thought that he may have put vocals down for it

appearcomposed likes this.
  4. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Funny you should say that, because shortly after I made that post, I read that Larry Crane confirmed a while ago that he did not record vocals for it at that Jackpot session. Kind of sucks, I'd really like to have a complete version of that song.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  5. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying. So that instrumental was done with Larry Crane, 'early 1998' . . . . . Would Larry have been involved with the March 1998 'Mystery XO session, location unknown' session that supposedly spawned Echo Park, Grand Mal (Slow), Piano Thing and Rock #1, do you think? I would so love to get some proper, reliable clarification on those songs.

6. appearcomposed

Those would've been in LA, probably with Rothrock, Schnapf, or Brion.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  7. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Thanks. Damn I wish somebody would tell us more about the song Sophistry. Versions were recorded by Stranger Than Fiction, Heatmiser AND Elliott solo. Someone give us even ONE version of this please. I'd at least like to know during what solo era the final version was recorded. I've just asked Tony Lash via one of his recent YouTube sharings, if he is able to shed any light on the song, at least in terms of the Heatmiser version. He already said that he didn't have the STF tape with it on (Waiting For the Second Hand). Hope he replies.

I was hoping that the one-off download of Cecilia/Amanda (Jackpot 1997 version) in 2009 might be the start of something in terms of pre-DreamWorks recordings coming out, but it seems not. I think even that was only to promote the reissue of Roman Candle anyway. It would be cool if these pre-DreamWorks songs could surface:

Sweet Adeline - Jackpot Instrumental, 1997
    Sweet Adeline - Acoustic Demo, 1997
    I Didn't Understand - Acoustic Demo, 1997
    We're All Friends Now - Demo, 1993
    No Name #5 - Alt version - 1996
    Rock N Roll Suicide - Bowie cover - 1996
    Sophistry (that is, if it is a pre-1998 recording)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  8. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I got a reply from Tony. Of the supposed Heatmiser version of Sophistry, as referenced in the Heaven Adores You booklet, he says this:

"If it was recorded by Heatmiser, it had to be before they moved to Portland and I started playing with them. I have no memory of recording or playing it with them."

To me this throws into doubt that reference in the HAY liner notes. I realise its not always correct, but according to Wikipedia; "In Portland, Gust & Smith formed Heatmiser with Smith's high school friend Tony Lash" (Oct 1991). If this is true, then technically Gust & Smith weren't known as Heatmiser before they moved to Portland, hence there couldn't have been a Heatmiser-recorded Sophistry.

One thing I didn't know was this:
    Pre-Heatmiser early years (1987–1990)[edit]
    In 1987, while both of them were attending classes at Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, Neil Gust and Elliott Smith met and formed a band, Swimming Jesus. In addition to covers of songs by Ringo Starr and Elvis Costello, the pair performed original songs in clubs in nearby Northampton.

I am guessing that Swimming Jesus didn't make any recordings, but I am curious as to what the 'original songs' are that they played. I suppose they could have been ones that ended up as Heatmiser songs.

Anyway, sorry we couldn't get much progress on finding out about this song. All we know is that somebody somewhere will have the Stranger Than Fiction 'Waiting For the Second Hand' tape with it on (and isn't sharing), it is now most unlikely that a Heatmiser version exists, and we have absolutely no clue what era the Elliott solo version was done in. Nice of Tony to reply though. Hopefully he posts more Harum Scarum songs soon.

9. appearcomposed

Wow. That's really interesting. I really don't feel like Elliott and Gust got too much done before going back to Portland and picking up Tony and Brandt. The fact that Tony doesn't remember a Sophistry re-record could mean Moyer got that totally wrong, or maybe he mistook a heavier sounding Elliott-solo recording for Heatmiser? Very strange.

And yeah, there's a cover of Waiting For The End Of The World from pre-Heatmiser Heatmiser on Heaven Adores You that I really want in good quality because of course people are talking all over it. If I had to take a stab, I'd wager that the solo re-record of Sophistry was probably done around E/O era. Maybe at the same time as Real Estate.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  10. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I've watched HAY a few times and hadn't even noticed that. I'll be watching out for it next time.

You mentioned Schultz teasing fans with STF tapes and losing his power somewhat what with Greenhouse, Trick of Paris Season and Menagerie songs actively surfacing. Unfortunately nobody else has come up with anything from Waiting For the Second Hand or Still Waters More Or Less as yet. I hope that Tony uploads Key Biscayne, thus rendering Schultz' tease clip obsolete. Edit: Just asked him if it possible for him to upload it. Fingers crossed.

Its interesting how little Duckler has openly shared. To my knowledge just Coraliza, which he provided to Oregan Public Radio 5 years after Elliott's passing, in 2008.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  11. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I know we haven't talked much Heatmiser, but I have something interesting to share.

There is a Heatmiser gig from 21 Nov 1992, where they played at a wedding party, in Edgefield, Oregon. Its available on the live archive (Elliott openly encoured the sharing of shows, etc.) and also on YouTube. The gig preceded their debut album Dead Air by almost a year. They played 11 songs that made said album. Alongside Wake, which was recorded just weeks after the gig, then ended up opening the Yellow No.5 EP in 1994, they played 2 songs from April 1992's 'The Music of Heatmiser' tape (I think their only recording at the time), and 4 unknown songs. Well they have remained unknown to me until now.

This is not something I've dug up myself, I was beaten to it but had to share when I saw that the titles had been revealed in the last year. In fact I was about to ask Tony if he knew what those 4 unnamed songs are, then I saw that on the YouTube link to the show, he's already been conversing with someone about those 4 mystery songs. So, 8 months ago Tony said of the video: "Song at 25:54 is called Laying Low. Father Song is at 38:34. I don't know the titles of the other two unknowns." Amusingly, the guy asks him how he knows this, of course the fact that he was the band's drummer kind of gives it away. Then, just one month ago, Tony replies: "I came across some more old studio outtakes and found recordings of the other two songs. 23:18 is called Man Camp and 41:15 is called 'Bloody Knuckles.' He also stated that Man Camp was written by Elliott, Bloody Knuckles by Neil. As far as I know, the other two are Neil songs as well.

So whilst its not a major revelation, its made my day. Only Father Song is currently referenced on the Alphabet Town song guide. I think its pretty cool to be able to put titles to 4 previously unknown songs, especially with Man Camp being an Elliott song. I like Man Camp a lot, it could easily have sat on Dead Air or Cop & Speeder, and I've happily added it to my playlist of Elliott written Heatmiser songs (though let it be noted that Neil wrote some great ones too). Also its nice to know studio recordings of these outtakes exist (and possibly more that we don't know about), that hopefully someday might be shared.

So for those of you who have the audio files, you may now rename the following 'unknown' tracks as follows:

10. Man Camp
    11. Laying Low
    15. Father Song
    16. Bloody Knuckles

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  12. appearcomposed

Very cool, man. I'm always happy to see more info surface. I had heard of Laying Low and Father Song before, but those other two titles are totally new to me. Super interesting.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  13. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Yeah, so great to get titles confirmed for those 4 random songs. I'd love to hear the studio recording of Man Camp.

14. appearcomposed

New song!

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  15. appearcomposed

This is maybe the most 80s track so far. The guitars are giving me major Johnny Marr vibes.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  16. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Its that time of the week again. I've been checking several times a day, then I drive home from work and miss this little nugget dropping.

Wow, this really is something different. The Elliott Smiths. Love the guitar sound (flanger?) and great bass work too. These songs have sat in the vault for 30 years and are finally being set free! Thats half the Greenhouse tape available now. Over to you Tony for more Harum Scarum!

17. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Only just discovered this. Neil Gust of Heatmiser's band 'No.2' featuring Elliott on guitar and keys. Love his guitar on this rocker. Recorded Spring 2003. Whilst its not an Elliott written song, its got that same heavy rocking feel as some of his own 2003 songs like Mr.Goodmorning, O So Slow, etc. Almost sounds like a 2003 Heatmiser reunion. Cool :cool:

BeauZooka and appearcomposed like this.
  18. appearcomposed

Totally forgot that was from 2003. Great song. Have you listened to any other No. 2? I haven't listened to their 2nd album much, but No Memory is a super strong showing of Neil's songwriting. It's also got a lot of Elliott involvement in some backing vocals and production.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  19. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

No, I never checked them out but will do so soon. Was just looking through random songs that he contributed to.

I’d forgotten that he played organ on 3 songs on Guided By Voices’ 2001 Isolation Drills album (produced by Rob Schnapf): Skills Like This, How’s My Drinking & Fine To See You. Though the guitars are so loud you can barely hear the organ! Cool to think that two of my all time favourite artists collaborated, albeit briefly. I wonder if Elliott was a GBV fan, or vice versa for that matter.

20. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Elliott also played bass on the great 1999 Quasi album Field Studies, on these 3 songs: All The Same, Empty Words & Under a Cloud.

One thing I was surprised to discover was that he played bass on a Jon Brion live version of Not Ready Yet by eels, which was actually written by Brion. Longtime eels fan and never knew Jon wrote that song. Guess I haven’t read the Beautiful Freak credits for a couple of decades. Wouldn’t have known who Jon Brion was in 1996 anyway. Got a rare eels live CD/DVD with an epic like 18 minute live freakout version of that. Cool song. Oh and here’s a nice Big Star cover Elliott & Jon did

21. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Just looked up the album. Elliott was not involved in the final album, but played organ / guitar / sung backing vocals across 4 of the songs at demo stage. It seems these were released sometime later and can be found on a 2015 reissue. Added to my list of stuff to hear / buy.

22. appearcomposed

Ahh. My bad! I feel like I've listened to those demos more than the album tracks at this point so maybe that clouded my memory. The demos definitely have a lot more of an Elliott-feel to them than the final versions do. The Critical Mass demo reminds me a lot of How To Take A Fall.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  23. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Cool. It seems the CD is hard to track down, so I’ll probably have to buy it on iTunes.

24. solveig

solveig Well-Known Member

although i can only agree that Torment Saint is overblown ****, the bland biography or documentary doesn't really work with Elliott - "personal details" of his life are so intricately mirrored into his music that ignoring them is choosing to deprive oneself of a very valuable source of information

25. solveig

solveig Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pop_Zeus likes this.