Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Just listening to the DSMIOTPP SHM, absolutely gorgeous. This I imagine is how an MFSL of the album would have sounded. A solid 9 out of 10, only complaint being that the low distortion on Daniel is still present, but maybe it was recorded like that. Tinnitus slayed!

Carlox, Brudr, toilet_doctor and 4 others like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It does sound great. Is this the first one you’ve played?

Oyster Boy likes this.
  3. Oyster Boy

Yep. Have Mercy - never heard it with that clarity and not swamped in the choruses. Teenage Idol, the piano is so good. On the basis of this, it has been worth the wait since May last year.Wow!. To be continued.....

4. Oyster Boy

Blue Moves D1, definitive. Reminds me of taking the LP to my Grandads in the seventies and he had a woofer built into the wall (his fault I love HIFI). Bass sublime. And whats to complain about GHV2? Sounds great to me!

5. Oyster Boy

S/T, is it possible for digital to be organic? If so this is it. Absolutely brilliant.

6. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

I would like to get more of such albums… and that's why.

Talented people are talented
    in everything that they do
    (expression)

Yes, in these albums, Elton went beyond his style, and he succeeded by raising the bar very high.
    I want to point out two of my Elton's favorite songs hidden in the Tumbleweed album.
    The best part is that they did not overfeed us with these songs in the 70's, and the songs sound as fresh as they were just written, becoming only better with each listening...

Talking Old Soldiers (Live 1997 - Elton talks about album a bit, calling it “my favorite”)
    On the 1970 album "Tumbleweed Connection," this song was dedicated to folk singer David Ackles, who had shared the bill with Elton when he had his American debut at the Troubadour in L.A. on August 25, 1970. The song was recorded in one take, Elton singing and playing alone. Produced by Gus Dudgeon. Recorded at Trident Studios, London. Words & Music by Elton John & Bernie Taupin” (comment)

Album version with lyrics and good sound:
    Tumbleweed Connection is such an underrated album… I think it is one of Elton John's best composed albums!” (comment)

Elton John - Talking Old Soldiers (1970) With Lyrics!

Another my favorite – Where To Now St Peter?

Live 2007 (turning 60, but so darn good…)
    On the 1970 album "Tumbleweed Connection." Bernie Taupin's lyrics tell of a dying soldier and Elton's music seems to capture the feeling of passing into the afterlife. Nigel Olsson and Dee Murray on backing vocals. Produced by Gus Dudgeon. Recorded at Trident Studios, London. Bass Guitar: Dave Glover; Drums: Roger Pope; Guitar: Caleb Quaye Words & Music by Elton John & Bernie Taupin
    Elton was barely 23 years old when he released this song in 1970 on Tumbleweed Connection (already his 3rd album). The guy is a natural talent. Like Lennon and McCartney he had been playing for years and learning as a phenomenal teen before he was able to get his music on albums out to the public. Once he started to release his work on record there was no way to stop him. He was one of the select few who ruled at the top of music sales for well over a decade. His music to many is a soundtrack of life in the 1970's and 1980's.”
    (comments)

Elton John - Where To Now St. Peter? (Elton 60 - Live at MSG | 2007) HD

Album version with lyrics
    I'm not a big Elton John fan, but I've always loved this song. It's a stunner.
    My son loved music and he used to find songs I had never heard before from an artist we both listened to and then he would send them to me to see what I thought of the song. This was one of those songs. I loved it right away. Whenever I hear it now, I always think of him. Great memories! They help me get through the loss of missing him so much. He died 2 years ago from a massive stroke. He was only 41.”
    (comments)
    Elton John - Where to Now St Peter? (1970) With Lyrics

Duet w/Ann Wilson [Heart] 2007
    Ann Wilson & Elton John - Where to Now, St Peter? (2007)

Did I mention 3rd of my favorite from Tumbleweed?
    Love Song (in tribute)
    Elton John ''Love Song''

Duet w/Neil Young (Live 1992)
    Elton John Neil Young duet - Love Song - Bridge School Benefit 1 Nov 1992

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Oyster Boy, DarkSideOfTheMoo and jhm like this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I checked the waveforms of the SHM in Audacity. Nothing looks brickwalled at all, but it looks more full than the other SHM titles. The highest track peak on Empty Sky is "Val-Hala" at 0.999969. The waveform looks fine, but it's clearly raised in volume until almost hitting the top.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It took me many years to appreciate Blue Moves. Hated the cover art and, for me, Tonight was a poor choice to open the show. The original CD added to my disappointed feelings when they edited the album, like it wasn’t good enough to release the whole thing.

Then when the complete album got rereleased on CD I started skipping the first two tracks and saved them for the end and started right with One Horse Town. My eyes and ears were opened and what was once a disappointment became a jewel. OHT is an amazing opening track while Tonight becomes a dramatic closure and a better finale for me than Bite Your Lip. I don’t know why this track order change clicks for me but I’m not going to fight it. I did play the proper order once this past week. My feelings haven’t changed.

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve played the new SHM of Blue Moves. My wife likes Elton but never heard the album before (outside of the hit single) and asked what I was playing all this time. She loves it too.

I’ve also enjoyed the two hits albums. I don’t normally play comps but these two work nicely together. And I think they sound pretty good!

I’ve yet to delve into Goodbye Yellow Brick Road or Don’t Shoot Me. They sit patiently on the table. They wave at me from time to time, waiting for their turn.

jhm, toilet_doctor, supermd and 3 others like this.
  9. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Which SACD are you listening to for the self titled? There's the US and the Japanese and the US numbers (according to DR database) are not good.

10. Oyster Boy

As I posted above, I have listened to GHV2 and I think it sounds fantastic. My system, ears etc and I don't get the reports of the sound being off. Amongst the highlights it is the best version of The Bitch is Back I have heard on CD.

toilet_doctor and Pizza like this.
  11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I find the hits sets a very satisfying listen.

toilet_doctor, supermd and Oyster Boy like this.
  12. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

Sentient....thanks! ...and nice catch. It was the 2011 SACD (JPN) and not the 2004 US release. I forgot to include the US 2.0 layer in the review (not that it would have bettered the 2011). The DR database is correct, it is compressed and does not compare to to the 2011 SACD or even the Polydor. Sorry for the confusion.

Sentient Six and toilet_doctor like this.
  13. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The songs DO sound off when you compare them to the same songs on the main albums, because they are dupes on the GH. "Bennie" is an easy one to spot. Listen to the very first drum hits. On the GH2 version, it sounds like extra claps or static on the drum hits, where that is completely absent on the GYBR version (or any version I have heard outside GH2).

jhm, Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  15. Isn't the 2011 Japan SACD actually an SHM-SACD? That would be another way to differentiate between the two.

16. Oyster Boy

Must be it then, as I haven't yet played the album versions of any of them. Therefore, if they are better than what I have heard then bring it on.

supermd likes this.
  17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I thought it was good too until I heard the version on the Caribou SHM CD. It's much better IMO.

Oyster Boy and supermd like this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Sorry if I’m being redundant but what exactly are the differences between this set of Elton John SHM-CDs and the previous SHM-CDs? Newly remastered? All of ‘em?

toilet_doctor likes this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

rstamberg likes this.
  20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Thank you.

21. New the party. What a shame. I can't follow the mountains of work and listening that's gone into 111 pages. It's overwhelming. Good job, y'all! It's exactly what this forum was designed to do.

All I know is, I was listening to "Bennie and the Jets" from the 2018 remaster last night. I heard some stuff in the crowd noise that I had never heard before. Distinct voices. Some amazing reverb that carried for days. It just hung out there with a surprising amount of depth. There was a warmth, too, as if there was nothing digital in the chain.

Is this what you're hearing or am I completely crazy?

jhm, Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Another one that stood out is "Someone Saved My Life Tonight." The drums sound better and crisper on the Fantastic SHM. Check it out for yourself.

23. Oyster Boy

That is going on tonight, along with Caribou.

supermd, toilet_doctor and Carlox like this.
  24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. Stunning drum sound towards the end of the song especially.

Oyster Boy and supermd like this.
  25. Oyster Boy

I suppose in way you have to commend the Japanese for using the correct mastertape for GHV2, rather than compiling from the albums where applicable. Anyhow it has served as My Starter for.... the album versions.

jhm and supermd like this.