Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Did you check the DR Database? Many of them are listed there. They are all nice and dynamic, I can tell you that:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

The liner notes for the 2018 SHM-CDs state they are all digital copies of the UK masters. I think we have to believe/hope that most (if not all) of EJ's masters (as part of this most recent SHM series) reside in the UK and were spared from the fire in California.

ispace, Carlox and ChunkDaMan like this.
  2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

You are of course free to decide for yourself, but the SHM CDs do not have any "loudness" / digital compression applied in the production. If they are better than the original CDs (of which there are sometimes several versions between MCA, WG DJM and UK DJM) is a case-by-case question and subjective, but nobody came to the conclusion that they are not acceptable.

ispace, Oyster Boy, supermd and 2 others like this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It'd most likely just be a straight copy of the 2001, but with "SHM" branding. I really wish there were good versions of his later catalog.

ChunkDaMan and Carlox like this.
  4. ChunkDaMan

ChunkDaMan America's Favorite CD Junkie

I understand and know the SHMs are as great as they can be, nothing personally wrong. The problem is just the price + shipping to the US from CDJapan (not to be cheap but just want to save money at the moment). So far the only SHM release I'm looking around is Blue Moves since it has all of the tracks as the '97 remastered, except no compression and such. Looks like someone in the reviews on the CDJapan page said the '97 remasters are better than this SHM release. https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-78966
    But looking at the LoudnessDB, the 2019 SHM release of Blue Moves has MUCH better DR ratings than the '97 remasters.

5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

You can’t go by DR values solely but it’s not even close, the Blue Moves SHM is miles better.

As far as the shipping, if you need or want multiple titles, it’s better and cheaper to just bite the bullet and get them all in one shot. I just put 8 CD’s in the cart @ CD Japan and shipping was $25 for 3 day delivery, only option. A bit pricey but not horrible. You can also buy through ImportCDs and save a few bucks on shipping, in fact Blue Moves SHM is in stock, just make sure you get the 2019 one.

Elton John BLUE MOVES (SHM-CD) [Import] Limited Edition, Japanese Mini-Lp Sleeve, Super-High Material CD, Japan - Import on ImportCDs

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

Amazon also has many of them too.

ChunkDaMan likes this.
  7. As an alternative, investigate ImportCDs . The SHMs they have in stock are at the same price since the initial offerings. They can be slow as far as shipping, but it's not that big of deal, is it?

These were released in August of 2019. It's not as if anybody is trying to meet a release / street date.

There is always Amazon, as well.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

9. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

ImportCD’s will be the cheapest option, no doubt. Amazon is overpriced, if buying multiples you can get them cheaper from CDJapan, even with the 3 day shipping and you can bet CDJapan you’ll get them in perfect condition with their premium packing.

10. Agree with CDJapan all-around. Buying in multiple units (to negate the shipping cost) is the way to go for them. They (CDJapan) are the defintion of a "class-act" / superior store.

chaz and Oyster Boy like this.
  11. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

100%

Oyster Boy likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Well-Known Member

I bought most of mine from Oregon-based based Sakura Music on Discogs. All were new. When he didn't have one in stock, I contacted him and he agreed to obtain it from Japan and proposed a reasonable price close to what he was charging for the others. It arrived quickly. I later decided that I wanted one more and decided to try CDJapan. The shipping cost came up after I had gone through the Paypal screen, and it surprised me, but I went ahead anyway.

13. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

There are two versions of the DCC Greatest Hits. The 2nd pressing has the original version. Here’s a quote from Steve Hoffman:

“OK, I'll tell you. :) The original mix of the song was damaged and the safety sounded like crap (we thought) so we used the 1983 remix for the first press of the CD. I couldn't stand it anymore after about three weeks listening to it so I added the original mix, wart and all. I did some tape tweeking in the bad spot and now one can barely hear anything wrong.“

supermd and George P like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

Good info! Do we know how to ID the later pressings?

15. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

Not 100% sure as I only have the 1st pressing (w/ the remix) but according to this thread: DCC ELTON JOHN "Greatest Hits" Question

1st Pressing: GZS1071

2nd Pressing: GZS1071-2

ispace, Instant Karma and George P like this.
  16. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Interesting. Mine has the -2 in the matrix but not on the face of the cd itself.

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That is where the -2 is, matrix only. My disc is a Nimbus pressing FWIW.

18. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Yes, mine too. I mainly posted where the -2 shows up in case other interested parties wanted to know.

eelkiller likes this.
  19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Gotcha, I was thinking someone else had suggested the -2 was on the disc itself. :)

20. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I have the MCA Jpn for US CD of Honky Chateau and find it a little bright sounding. Besides the SACD, it's the only pressing I've heard. I understand that the presentation on the MFSL is somewhat warmer sounding. Does the SHM-CD have the same tonality as the MFSL or is it closer to the MCA?

ChunkDaMan likes this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

The SHM is not as warm as the MFSL (my personal favorite for this album), but it also is not as bright as the MCA.

Pizza and vconsumer like this.
  22. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Heads up. All of the 2019 shm-cds are back in stock at Importcds.

23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I have to admit, these discs have stayed in print a lot longer than I expected.

24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Anyone know of any current coupons for Importcds?

vconsumer likes this.
  25. Jeez ... I have to admit I overestimated the demand for these. Or ... perhaps there were more available from the start.

This is the best of scenarios. A collection of fantastically mastered CDs without the limitations of availability. What's better than that?

jhm, ispace, Carlox and 4 others like this.