Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I thought caribou sounded fine just like all the rest. I will re listen if I have time today. But so far nothing in this series nothing has really stood out as being too bright . at least to me anyways.

Jrr and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  2. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

It sounds as though the volume level drops after 'Dixie Lily'.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

That would be the end of the song, Chip. Happens after every track :)

bobcat, supermd, CBackley and 7 others like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Keep passing along the discounts. :)

DarkSideOfTheMoo and jhm like this.
  5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I just noticed that the listings for these on ImportCDs have switched from "Pre-Order" to "Backorder". I hope it's just a delay and that I don't ultimately get hosed on these! I haven't received a shipping notice.

6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

That IS an essential outtake, I agree. However, I also like Mick Ronson, so I'm a bit biased there. The surround on this one (if you have the SACD) is really, really cool. Mick's fills dance around the room from speaker to speaker.

7. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

interesting- maybe underestimated the demand for these. I've never ordered from them before and have two on order from them. Is this common for this site?

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I should apologize right off the bat as I know some folks hate when threads "devolve" into shipping discussions. As for ImportCDs, I've only used them sporadically in the past, and never for a pre-order. My experience until now has always been that they are slow and not terribly responsive customer service wise, but I've always received what I've ordered. In other words, I've been willing to sacrifice a bit of customer service to save a few dollars here and there. I have purchased Japanese SHM-SACDs from them in the past (and they came through) but these items were noted as "in stock" when I ordered them. I'm hoping their supplier just didn't get them their stock as expected and that these will be forthcoming, but we just don't know at this point. It's equally possibly that they overestimated their ability to get some limited items. If I find anything out, I'll certainly post something here and my intent is not to freak anyone out about whether or not ImportCDs can ultimately deliver on these.

Edit: I just sent them the following message via their "Contact Us" link. I'll let you know if I hear anything back:

Hi!
    My order contains SHM-CDs of some 2019 Elton John re-issues from Japan. When I ordered on 8/14, the status of the discs on you site was "pre-order" with a release date of 8/16 given. Now that we've hit 8/16, the status instantly changed to "back ordered" without ever going to "in stock". I just wanted to find out if there has been a delay from your supplier or if there is some other issues regarding the availability of these titles. I'd like the discs (eventually) and would like to be assured that you will actually be able to obtain them and fulfill the order. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  9. I think these sound a little more true to the original LP’, but the MFSL discs sound great which is inherent in most MFSL Gain II discs and unique MFSL mastering. They have their own characteristics, which I enjoy. Right now I’m digging the new SHM series, and think they have the edge, but YMMV. :tiphat:

10. I am not hearing what you are. These are all new 2018 mastering painstakingly done, I can’t imagine in a million years that a tape used for “LP cutting master” (what does that mean anyway?) was used as a source for Caribou. Highly unlikely.

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Can’t honestly hear the level drop after Dixie Lilly.. If there is one it’s very subtle.:)

Nor am I hearing the overly bright track... Though Caribou is pretty bright anyway.

No one is talking about the important stuff on the SHM... The fact that the back cover is closer to yellow than white. I’m still offended by this.:D

12. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

agree- I re-played caribou again today. while I'll admit it didn't impress me as much as say Honky Chateau, it was still a very good listen.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. I think it’s how the original recoding sounded, it’s a (pretty close to) flat transfer so what’s on the master is what we are left with when you do a ‘flat transfer’ but as I said I think it sounds fine, I’m enjoying it.

supermd and thetman like this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I feel your pain Bobby!, bastards! :laugh:
    I'm still waiting for some comparisons with the oldies. I have a humdinger of a great sounding Japan For US Honky/Madman. If they are comparable I'll spend my money elsewhere :)

Oyster Boy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I'd say there wasn't a delay and they quickly ran out on the preorders in front of you. It's happened to me before. I'd also say you will be lucky to get them from Import at all from here on out. I would be very happy to be proven wrong about this but if these discs are important to you I don't believe I would wait on them and would try to find them somewhere else. I've waited before and a month or longer has gone by with no restocking.

PhantomStranger and jhm like this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I was afraid that would be the case. I'll give them a chance to respond to my e-mail and if they don't reply or give me a straight answer, I will cancel and look elsewhere.

Full Circle likes this.
  17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Has the runaround begun? I got a reply from ImportCDs:

"Unfortunately we have not received our shipment for Item, therefore we can not complete your order. As soon as we receive our shipment we will send it out. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you."

My reply:
    "I guess the question now is are you expecting to receive your order in the near future or is there a chance you may never get them in stock. These are limited items and I wouldn’t want them to sell out while I wait."

Their next reply (assuming I get one) will be the deciding factor as to if I cancel my order and move on.

Dok, Full Circle and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  18. I ordered my shipment(s) from ImportCDs on 6/20. Paid up-front.

I say shipments because I initially went with my favorite 6 titles. Upon further thought (aided by a few drinks) I caved in and went for the rest of the lot of 7 titles after a few hours.

As it presently stands, the 7 titles of the second order have actually shipped. I.E. - there is movement of that particular parcel through the USPS.

At the time of this post, there is no actual confirmation that the first order of 6 titles has shipped (although I have tracking numbers for both orders).

Looking at Amazon US and Amazon UK sites, all of these SHM titles are on "back-order" status (with a window of 1 to 2 months fulfillment time).

Yikes!

Full Circle and jhm like this.
  19. Full Circle

Full Circle Forum Resident

I’m glad they responded to you quickly. Hopefully the next response will be good news.

jhm likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Both Amazon US and UK are showing 1-2 months delivery on these.

Full Circle and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  21. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Most titles in stock at cdjapan, 3 titles 2 to 4 days so dont think there is a sell out problem.

Full Circle and jhm like this.
  22. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I dont think theres a sell out problem.
    My belief is they wait to order these after all the preorders come in. My guess is it wont take 2 months, maybe 2-4 weeks. Then again i order all 13 a couple of days ago and. ROTW shipped on the 15th

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

The Japanese seller I use has them all in stock. Usually dispatched the following day and here in less than a week. That’s excellent for Japan to the UK.

24. ^^^ This!
    At least, I hope you're right.
    In my view, the underestimation of demand is becoming common-place, particularly with CDs (they're on the way out, you know - :shh:). Especially with artists who aren't releasing new "product". Whether or not that is actually true … I certainly don't know.

I've been ordering from ImportCDs for nearly a decade and they have increasingly gauged their pre-orders as close as possible (IMHO) the last few years as to only fill initial/pre- orders and if / when they get more stock, than so be it.

But as I have posted earlier, even Amazon US & UK have already depleted the initial orders for these Elton Mini-LP SHMs.

It could very well be that UMG/Japan didn't expect the demand.

PhantomStranger and jhm like this.
  25. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Received "Elton John", "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Caribou". Balance hopefully arriving next week from CD Japan.

Listening to self titled and it is a gorgeous listen. Your Song has beautiful separation of the instruments with excellent bass and strings coming through, better than I can recall from past cd's. Elton's vocals throughout the disc are very soft, fresh and clear. Percussion and strings pop out very nicely on "Take Me To The Pilot".
    "The Greatest Discovery" is a bit of a disappointment. Not sure if this is on all recordings of this album but the drums come out very strong and upfront then disappear.
    "The Cage" and "The King Must Die" are perfect all around on this disc to me.

noname74, thetman and Bobby Morrow like this.