Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I thought that. How wonderful it would be to hear those 70s albums for the first time...

Of course, he may hate them so I’d better not speak too soon.:D

Oyster Boy likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Don’t forget to report back with your thoughts on Honky Chateau.

supermd and Carlox like this.
  3. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I have to go back forty plus years to remember that feeling...

Carlox and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Less for me. I bought his 21 At 33 onward albums pretty much when they came out, but for some reason I didn’t check out his 70s classics until the mid-90s:yikes:

To this day I don’t know why I waited that long!

Oyster Boy likes this.
  5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

First time I heard Elton was Greatest LP from my dad. really scratched. in mid 80s'. There was a repeating tick on Rocket Man that I thought was part of the song.
    From there I used my own money to buy Madman (different track sequence) and Your Songs on cassette. Within another two years I picked up all the plaid backs on cd and Greatest Hits III (Geffen issue) and listened to those in headphones until I knew all the words to all the songs and about 25 songs or so on the piano. This would have been about 1990.
    Then the Polydors came out and I picked up the whole set and the Rare Masters treasure trove of tracks.

Ah good times!

supermd, Carlox and Oyster Boy like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

The GH was my first Elton LP in 1979. I started work that year and the guy who gave me a lift played that (and the Simon & Garfunkel GH tape) non stop. At that point Elton wasn’t having hits like he was a few years previously so the comp was a wonderful reminder of those classic singles that I’d (temporarily) forgotten.

I also bought the S&G GH album.:)

Oyster Boy likes this.
  7. Oyster Boy

As they came out it was Blue Moves onwards for me and collected the back catalogue. First heard Greatest Hits on reel to reel, via a reel with a Dynatron tape player my Dad bought from someone at work for me. Just loved Elton's music from then on.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Ha! I also got into S&G at the same time as Elton. My musical palette was pretty limited from 1985-89. The Beatles, Elton, Billy Joel, S&G and Phil Collins were the only full catalogs I was into. This was middle school for me and all my friends were into Metallica, Guns N Roses, Van Halen and Bon Jovi. Man I was a nerd.

9. Bobby Morrow

I loved many of his singles in the 70s but as money was short, I daren't risk an LP by him!

Don’t Go Breaking My Heart was my first Elton single in 1976. I played it so much that by the time it’s 6 weeks at #1 were over I was sick to the back teeth of it.:D

Though I did do a thread on the song here a few months back, so I came to like it again.:)

Oyster Boy likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

We’d have been nerds together as I liked and bought records by all those same acts!

In fact, between 1977 and 1980, I preferred Billy Joel’s work to Elton’s

11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I first heard Elton when Your song was released. Tumbleweed was the first album of his I bought-when released. Bought most of his album up to Captain Fantastic
    One of the most impressive runs from any artists. Great to have these releases that does them justice.

CBackley and Oyster Boy like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

I don’t think I’d even heard of Tumbleweed until the 1995 Gus remasters came out!

Carlox and Bemagnus like this.
  13. Oyster Boy

The first time I heard She's Always a Woman, I thought it was Elton's new single.

pantofis and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

I’d tell any Elton fan to pick up Joel’s The Stranger, 52nd Street and Glass Houses albums ..

And Billy’s albums are available on great sounding MFSL SACDs too!

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Tumbleweed was an album that stirred up the fantasy of the 14 year old me. I knew Elton was from England but the album was so american. The pictures in the booklet together with the music was like watching a movie.
    It s so funny with these mini-replicas that they takes me back to these days with the cover-art. To this day Tumbleweed Connection is one of my all-time favorite albums and also all-time favorite cover-art
    Overall Eltons seventies covers are stunning-Captain Fantastic not the least. That cover with all the stuff conibg with it is greatly reproduced on the SHM-release

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  16. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I think I remember reading in another thread that the US Polydors are the same as the European DJMs, is that correct?

17. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Several DJM's are polydors, but not all of them.

18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

From a seller in Japan - Maximum Rare Records and Cds Japan. Good reliable seller. Genuine products. The boxes are like the official Union promo boxes but with no artwork.

WHITE EMPTY BOX FOR JAPAN (8 to 14) MINI LP CDs | eBay

Mike McMann likes this.
  19. Flaming Torch

20. Flaming Torch

Even ahead of a slimmed down say one lp GBYBR?
    My favourites are Madman and Tumbleweed.

Nobby likes this.
  21. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Well. Compared the new Don’t Shoot Me... with the hallowed Japan DJM. The new remaster has much more detail and separation; makes the DJM sound somewhat muted. All this detail does tend to brighten snare hits, horns, etc., but I wouldn’t go so far as to call it overly bright or harsh. The bass is strong and defined. Definitely a more involving listen.
    Many of the recentish Japanese remasters have an almost signature sound; highly detailed across all frequencies but flirting with stridency in the higher frequencies. If you’re used to this sound (like myself) I think you might like these releases.
    The packaging is exemplary - Don’t Shoot Me... a gatefold with full color booklet and excellent reproduction overall.

stevef, Bemagnus, supermd and 4 others like this.
  22. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

is that 23PD-105 (1988) or PHCR-6027 (1991)?

23. lonelysea

The 1991 version.

24. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

thanks, so that's a clone of the WG DJM,
    i'm not surprised you found it dull compared to the new SHM, the WG DJM is a dull sounding disc compared to every other CD mastering of "Don't Shoot Me.." i've heard. do you have either MCAD-31077 "Compact Price" or the UK DJM CD10?

sonnyrock likes this.
  25. lonelysea

No, just the 1995 Rocket. Didn’t bother comparing.

mikaal likes this.