Elton John - Songs From The West Coast (New LP)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ego1jr, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been waiting for this album to be released on vinyl for years. Finally was able to give it a spin this morning. My copy has very distorted vocals (especially during "peak" level portions of each song). Not sure if I have a bad pressing or it's a problem with the entire run. I'd be really interested to hear from others who have the album version. Are you experiencing the same issue?

2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I would say that this is a "loud" pressing for sure (same as the CD, if I recall). The vocals get a bit "crunchy" at times in the loud spots (Dark Diamond is one that springs to mind and Look Ma No Hands) but nothing "very distorted" I would say.

From your profile, you're running a pretty good rig ;) especially compared to mine - so I don't think it's that.

I think it's just being mastered poorly (loud) and it carried over to the LP pressing. A shame because overall I feel like the music are smoother and clearer, but the vocals are just squeezed.

ego1jr likes this.
  3. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

I only have the CD, but looking back on it in terms of what albums of the last 20 odd years have that classic Elton sound I feel Patrick Leonard was not only able to catch Elton's vocals in good form but also got some of that magic back. You can hear it on Birds and Mansfield. This album feels less cluttered, less Disney and more classic than what Elton normally puts out now. What do you guys think... at the break of d-a-w-n aw aw awn...

In between the Star of David and the California moon
    The Santa Ana winds blew warm into your room
    We were crazy, wild and running
    Blind to the change to come
    In that little house on Mansfield
    We'd wake at the break of dawn
    In an Indian summer gone

EddieT likes this.
  4. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

I purchased the 2LP from Amazon. $10.00 new. It sounds very good. Nice pressing. Well worth the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.