Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Just played side 1 and 2 of live in Australia. I no sooner gave my so-so review of GZ pressings, and I couldn't almost get the sleeve out of the LP jacket. Couple pops towards ends of sides 1 and 2, but nothing a cleaning won't fix. But certainly not quietest pressings - which has been my experience with this facility on EJ releases.

2. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

My HC pressing is excellent, as is the sound quality on this one. I don't have all these re-issues but the following I do have and my comments may assist you:

Elton John: Considerably better than my 1970 Australian pressing.
    Tumbleweed: A little better than my UK original pressing, neither are amazing and both sound compressed.
    Honky Chateau : Considerably better than my 1972 Australian pressing.
    Madman: One of the best sounding records in my collection, a must have from the re-issue series. Superior in every way to my 1971 New Zealand pressing .
    Captain fantastic: Great re-issue but my original UK (transparent dark red) has more life and is more open but lacks the bass the re-issue has (I prefer the original UK on this title).
    Rock of the Westies and Caribou : I don't have the re-issues both are supposed to be excellent and are on my wish list.

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

How is the sound quality on this one? I have not listened to the CD in years but recall it being so-so.

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's frustrating they are now releasing live / greatest hits titles rather than some more studio albums.

ego1jr and NunoBento like this.
  5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Sound is good. Bass was strong. Elton's piano came through nicely. I liked the mix. I need to compare to the '98 Dudgeon CD but it felt different - little stronger overall. But not 'loud.' I actually had to crank my volume up to really blast it, which is good.

A bit of pops towards end of side 1 and side 2 (during Tonight - the irony, that's where my Blue Moves disc popped too). But I think a cleaning will help. Honestly the disc looked good - dead flat, no marks or dust. But the sleeves suck - can barely get them out of the jacket. Too tight - a problem I had with other GZ Elton reissues.

No word on the Here and There album as I decided not to get that one. I prefer the expanded version, and I honestly have no desire to spin just the original one. And at $25 it is overpriced to me. That's a $12 vinyl IMO.

Cast Iron Shore and teag like this.
  6. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Forum Resident

I think it sounded good also, but also a few ticks.

Actually had to replace the first one due to repeating clicks during Greatest Disovery, disc 2 of the replacement was warped, but fortunately disc 2 of the first set yet to be sent back was fine, so have combined :0)

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Amazon UK just dropped the price on Don’t Shoot to £15.99 so I got a copy. I think I’ve been bitten by the early 70s Elton John bug. I don’t think I’ll venture past Captain Fantastic though, I grew up in the 80s with my parents playing his albums and I don’t need to hear Wrap Her Up or Passenger again :hide:

Christopher B likes this.
  8. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

The 2018 Captain Fantastic has a sticker on the front saying that it includes a booklet. The original reissue had both booklets and the poster, but didn't advertise it with a sticker.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  9. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

The original reissue mentions "a lyric book, a scrap book and a poster" on the sticker.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m assuming the 2018 Captain Fantastic is the same pressing as the 2017, just reduced packaging?

11. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Most likely it is.

Porkpie likes this.
  12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Is there an Elton John, album by album thread? Tried searching but couldn’t see one, surely that can’t be right

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I really like the Tumbleweed Connection reissue and thought it sounded the best of the lot but that may be partly the recording. Honky Chateau sounded good, but not quite as good as Tumbleweed. Sound wise, it stacks up well against an original though.

FashionBoy likes this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m officially obsessed with Captain Fantastic and getting into his music more and more each day. I’ve now bought Captain Fantastic, Madman and Don’t Shoot Me. The quality of these remasters is awesome and the songs are brilliant. I can’t believe I’m buying and loving Elton John music, he’s a staple of my parents’ music collection I was supposed to be too cool for that :winkgrin:

dharmabumstead, AJK74 and CBackley like this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I also had a chance to check out a copy of the 2018 Captain Fantastic today - it doesn’t have the scrapbook or poster as people have noted but the deadwax etching are identical to the 2016 copy I bought last week.

My copy of Don’t Shoot Me doesn’t have any etched info in the deadwax, just stamped info, is that right?

16. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

You’ve caught the bug. You’ll need to get all Elton’s 70’s stuff now! :)

Personally, I love everything he did between Empty Sky and the Thom Bell sessions. I have all the reissues from Empty Sky through Blue Moves, and love them all. This is one of my favorite reissue series.

17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Don’t Shoot Me sounds great but I’ve noticed the vinyl isn’t the quietest between tracks. It’s not bad and doesn’t affect the tracks themselves but compared to Captain Fantastic, it’s definitely got more noise. Is this what I can expect from the later reissues cut in the Czech Republic?

18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yes. My first copy of Honky Chateau had to be returned, as it was terribly noisy. GZ pressings can be hit and miss in terms of noise although i think they are much better these days...

Porkpie likes this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

How was the replacement?

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Almost dead quiet funnily enough...although it did have a non audible scrape probably from a loose bit of vinyl.

Porkpie likes this.
  21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I just watched two documentaries, Madman across the water - the making of Elton John and Classic Albums - GYBR. Then watched The Nation’s Favourite Song. Looking forward to getting more of his early 70s stuff in the new year.

22. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

Update guys, I found a speakers corner goodbye yellow brick road, wow is all I can say, on a side not I got the 2017 reissue of blue moves and to be honest it doesn’t sound very good and disc three looks like it has been beat to death, and it was brand new has anybody else come across this, I want to replace it because I love the album but only if it is an isolated incident. I now have gotten an original us pressing sounded horrible and this reissue that I think has potential if it didn’t look like it was played a million times, any help or thoughts would be great. Thanks guys

23. CBackley

There are only two discs in Blue Moves. That’s your problem right there! :)

24. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

Hahahahahahahaahahaha you got me, I ment second disc side three

CBackley likes this.
  25. CBackley

My Blue Moves reissue sounds fantastic. Try getting another copy! It’s a great release.