Elton John's Albums Discussion 1969-present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by D. Davis, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Excellent idea DD! Looking forward to it! :)

Jarleboy and D. Davis like this.
  2. I find the prospect
    nope. It’s just awful.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  3. Nothing could save VoL. Nothing.

4. I haven’t listened to Empty Sky in a while (except for a couple of isolated tracks) so it will be good to revisit. Not my fav album but has some promising tracks.

DarkSideOfTheMoo, D. Davis and Fred1 like this.
  5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Now that Sgt. Zippo is out,
    would have been fun to start
    with that.

6. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

I thought so too at first, but then I considered that a long, recent, and very (still) active thread about it exists already: Elton John - Lost 1968 album to be released: Regimental Sgt. Zippo (RSD 2021)

The OP has suggested that we go by release date rather than by recording date, which is fine by me. So, by the time we get to Zippo, enough time will have passed to form new/fresh perspectives on it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Bevok, BeSteVenn, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  7. D. Davis

D. Davis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, I did consider starting with the first recordings (the demos on Jewel Box, Sgt. Zippo, the first UK singles/b-sides on Rare Masters, etc.), but Jewel Box and Zippo are recent releases and not everyone has Zippo yet. Hopefully it'll be more widely released/known by the time we get to it (CD, streaming/download, wide vinyl release).
    And, ultimately...I thought release date would be easier, because that's how it was released to us. Now, Empty Sky wasn't released here in the US until 1975, but we'll start with it because there is European fans here, and it was available when I was born in 1979 and way before I discovered Elton in the very early 90's...Lol!
    So, all singles we will get to at some point...To Be Continued..., Rare Masters, even the two new songs on Love Songs...everything will eventually be discussed. Just gonna highlight the Greatest Hits packages, especially if they have "new"/ previously unreleased songs on them (Greatest Hits II for example)...so every song or album released will eventually/hopefully get mentioned in someway...even special bonus tracks (from The Diving Board, Wonderful Crazy Night, etc.) Please, by all means, feel free at any point if something is forgotten/not discussed, as we go through each album, bring it up!
    This is to simply celebrate the music we enjoy and celebrate Elton's legacy.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Bevok, oh1, BeSteVenn and 4 others like this.
  8. Regaholic

Regaholic Forum Resident

Perfectly thought through, as usual, Solly and DD.

9. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Great idea! This may push me into listening to those early Elton John albums again. What a sac-e-rifice... :winkgrin:

I´ll enjoy this!

10. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I'm already in two song-by-song/album-by-album threads at the moment, but based on who has commented about the thread so far, it looks to be a really nice core group of participants.

This will be a lot of fun, and although I already have all the albums and most of the major collections, it could become expensive. :)

11. D. Davis

Sources I'll be using:
    ▪︎The particular album's liner notes (of course).
    ▪︎eltonjohn.com (especially any articles written about the album by John F. Higgins...he's the best).
    ▪︎Wikipedia (why not?)
    ▪︎tonyc's Elton John Album By Album Thread (check that out on this forum).
    ▪︎Elizabeth J. Rosenthal's book His Song: The Musical Journey of Elton John (very detailed read).
    ▪︎Eltonography.com by David Bodoh (great informative website).

Just a side note:
    If you don't know, the I Guess That's Why They Call It the Elton John Podcast...podcast by Neil Barrett (who I hope can join us as well), has an episode on Empty Sky. I'll link below (but it may not work). You can just do a search for it online or go to Eltonography.com, which has a link to the podcast. It's a very fun, interesting, informative podcast about everything Elton. With special guests from time to time. Check that out!
    Episode 31 - Empty Sky at 50
    Now, below my name on the template, it says, "Well-Known Member"...have no idea why? I'm not in the music industry or a journalist...just a fan. LOL!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  12. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Here in Los Angeles (where he got his first really big break), it was a very popular import. Me and many of my friends in high school owned it in the early 1970s.

13. D. Davis

That's cool!

14. EltonMSO

EltonMSO Forum Resident

This'll be great fun! I can't wait to read everyone's opinions and thoughts and learn a lot more (while also dropping my own 2 cents)

15. D. Davis

So, here's how I'm gonna post about each album. Gonna give a detailed summary, the best I can, with info, dates, etc., on each album. I'll give my take, briefly, on each song (especially if I don't like it much...Lol) and then how I feel about the album.
    You all start discussing and have fun. If you get off topic or album...I'm fine with that...but please try to come back...Lol! It is a free country and you can say whatever you like...just please don't be mean...it's only rock and roll, but we like it!
    Again, I'm no expert, in the music industry or a journalist...just a fan, but maybe a bit of an Elton "historian" too...I guess we all become that when we love someone's work so much! I have been an Elton fan for about 30 years and he's always been my favorite artist since I discovered him.
    I grew up in a small town...like John Mellencamp sings about...on a farm. So, when I started collecting Elton's music in 1992, Greatest Hits 1976-1986, was the first album I bought...on cassette...because that's all I had to play on. Then, I bought The One...then I saved whatever money I could and bought everything I could...still do, but now I buy the CD copy, vinyl copy and stream them...Lol! Before we had a Sam Goody that finally came to town (I miss Sam Goody)...all I could do was hope Wal-Mart would have them...but they didn't have a lot of Elton's albums (still don't). Sam Goody saved my life tonight! Now, we can get Elton's and anyone's music, in any format pretty much...and instantly! Crazy!
    So, I listened to Elton's music in some pretty unceremonious ways in the beginning. Like our local Blockbuster (another from the past), somehow having a copy of Visions, The Fox videos, on VHS...that's how I first listened to The Fox (wish I had just kept that...haha!)
    Anyway...thanks for letting me set this up and reminisce a bit. Talking about Elton's music and sharing our stories of what it means to us and how we came to appreciate it and discover it, is what I hope for in this thread. Will post Empty Sky, Tuesday morning!
    Thank you all!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  16. Regaholic

Regaholic Forum Resident

CBackley, Suncola, Bevok and 4 others like this.
  17. D. Davis

Thank you so much! I've been re-reading it myself today...Lol!

Regaholic likes this.
  18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Cool idea for a thread! I can say a few things about Sir Elton.

D. Davis likes this.
  19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Looking forward to contributing a little throughout this thread.

D. Davis likes this.
  20. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

These articles are so good! Knowing even a little of the background and timelines helps me to enjoy the music more, and the articles give exactly the information I like to know about each song.

Please keep them coming!!!

D. Davis and Regaholic like this.
  21. D. Davis

●Before/Around Empty Sky 1965-1969

•Elton, as Reg Dwight, writes, records, performs with Bluesology, with songs like, "Come Back Baby" and "Mr. Frantic". (Will/can be discussed further with To Be Continued.../Jewel Box).
    •Meets and forms a lifetime writing partnership with Bernie Taupin.
    •Records several demos at Dick James Studios with Caleb Quaye producing. (Will/can be discussed further with Jewel Box).
    •Records his first album at Dick James Studios, Regimental Sgt. Zippo, which was rejected and "lost" for years...until this year, 2021. (Will/can be discussed further at a later date).
    •Releases first UK singles/b-sides, "I've Been Loving You"/"Here's To The Next Time", "Lady Samantha"/"All Across The Havens", and "It's Me That You Need"/"Just Like Strange Rain"...they all fail to chart. (Will/can be discussed further with Rare Masters).
    •Releases first US single, "Lady Samantha"...fails to chart.
    -Records demos/covers as a session musician (lead and backing vocals/piano) during various dates, even a few years after becoming successful, resulting in Top of the Pops discount/bargain bin records and the Warwick Sessions in the UK. (Some covers have been released over the years in various compilations...never officially by Elton or his team, or even recognized? Or are they? Eventhough, some of these pop up on streaming services and are on Elton's official YouTube channel in "albums and singles" section. We could have a bonus discussion about these when we are finished with the official albums. Personal note...would love to see all these songs collected and officially released and recognized, someday, by Elton and his team).

OK...LET'S GET STARTED!

■Empty Sky (1969/1975 US, with alternate cover)
    ▪︎Recorded at Dick James Studios in London, UK. Steve Brown-producer, Frank Owen-engineer, Clive Franks-tape operator, Dave Larkham-sleeve design/illustration, Jim Goff-sleeve production/lunch
    (1975 US front cover by FOLON, or Belgian artist Jean Michel Folon, back cover photo by Terry O'Neill)
    ▪︎Musicians: Elton John-piano/organ/electric piano/harpsichord, Caleb Quaye-electric and acoustic guitars/conga drums, Tony Murray-bass guitar, Roger Pope-drums/percussion, Don Fay-tenor saxophone, flute, Graham Vickery-harmonica (on "Empty Sky"), Nigel Olsson-drums (on "Lady What's Tomorrow"), Clive Franks-whistling (on "Hymn 2000)
    ▪︎All songs written by Elton John/Bernie Taupin.
    ▪︎US Billboard 200 (1975) peak position #6. No RIAA certifications. (However, got lots of airplay on UK radio during time of release.)
    ▪︎Available on vinyl/CD/streaming services.

-TRACKLIST-
    1. "Empty Sky"
    ▪︎Recorded January 14, 1969.
    ▪︎Mentioned in the Rolling Stone (October 24, 2013 issue) article, "Elton John: My Life in 20 Songs" with Cameron Crowe (big Elton fan!).

MY TAKE:
    I love how this song opens up with congas, played by Quaye, and then Elton, all of a sudden, comes in with a sharp, "cut through the air" piano. It sounds dangerous, adventurous and the lyrics suggest that as well. What an epic opening song!

2. "Val-Hala"
    ▪︎Recorded January 28, 1969.
    ▪︎Titled "Valhalla" on US release.

MY TAKE:
    I think this is a nice "folk-rock" song...about Norse mythology! Elton plays the heck outta the harpsichord...which I don't particularly like, but sounds nice here. It's sorta early 60's Dylan to me.

3. "Western Ford Gateway"
    ▪︎Recorded January 28, 1969.

MY TAKE:
    A nice country-western tune...sign of things to come, but much more in sync, with this type of song, on Tumbleweed Connection.

4. "Hymn 2000"
    ▪︎Recorded January 22, 1969.

MY TAKE:
    For me...still a bit rough to listen to. Obviously about someone living/coping with someone with a mental illness, but daydreaming of better days. I love the piano intro by Elton and the tambourine throughout by Roger Pope...so that keeps me interested! That's the thing about Elton's songs for me, ALL OF THEM, I can find something to enjoy in each one.

5. "Lady What's Tomorrow"
    ▪︎Recorded November 19, 1968.

MY TAKE:
    This sounds like the Elton we've all come to know and love...maybe some of that is due to Nigel Olsson on drums (1st time), or the melodic, light and breezy piano opening, and throughout, of Elton's playing and singing. Just sounds familiar...very nice!

6. "Sails"

MY TAKE:
    Love this song...what a rocker! You have to instantly be a fan of Caleb Quaye's guitar playing (Eric Clapton once called him the best...that's high praise!), and Elton's rock voice and keyboard playing is magnificent!

7. "The Scaffold"

MY TAKE:
    A nice song that probably coulda been pitched around the coffee/poetry houses in Greenwich Village in the 60's, if Elton was in New York during that time. Elton's voice is so smooth here.

8. "Skyline Pigeon"
    ▪︎Elton sang this at Ryan White's funeral.
    ▪︎Very popular song in Latin America, especially the 1973 re-recorded version (found on Rare Masters and Diamonds deluxe set).
    ▪︎This version played during the end credits of the 2018 film, The Favourite.

MY TAKE:
    I heard the live version on Here and There first, so when I finally heard the original...I didn't like it...Lol! Oh goodness the harpsichord just going on and on and on, but I learned to appreciate it more. It's very neat to learn that Elton was the only musician on this, playing the harpsichord (of course) and organ! Don't get me wrong, the piano is my favorite instrument, and Elton's playing is the best to me, but harpsichord...different animal! But, it would be cool if Elton revisited the harpsichord, a bit, on a new album. However, this song is lyrically very sweet and Elton does put a nice melodic feel to it, and when the organ comes into the second half of the song...well that's just wonderful!

9."Gulliver/Hay Chewed/Reprise"
    ▪︎Titled "It's Hay Chewed" on 1995 CD reissue.

MY TAKE:
    The "Gulliver" part is tragic lyrically, about Bernie loosing his dog...I believe?, but the wistful electric guitar in the background, by Quaye, certainly helps lift this song melodically. Then we get a jazz interlude with, "Hay Chewed", an obvious "Hey Jude" moniker...maybe not necessary, but I think it's cool...I mean, it's a jazz interlude. Then, "Reprise"...don't know...why not I guess? I remember first hearing this part as a teenager, thinking it was cool, and it's still cool by me.

●1995 CD reissue bonus tracks:
    "Lady Samantha", "All Across The Havens", "It's Me That You Need" and "Just Like Strange Rain", which will/can be discussed further when we get to To Be Continued...(1990)/Rare Masters (1992).

MY TAKE ON WHOLE ALBUM:
    When I first heard this as a teenager in the early 90's, first collecting Elton's music, I listened, by then, to all the classic years stuff, but this one. My immediate reaction...what the heck is this, what has he done? (I didn't know in the beginning that this was his first album, just went by US discographies available then to us). I thought it was awful...now I love it and it's probably one of my favorite albums! Like a fine wine, as they say.
    Elton and Bernie have often said this album is very naive...and I get why they say that, of course. However, I say it's experimental and awesome for a "debut" album. There's stuff here for rock music fans, folk music fans, country music fans...I would even say prog-rock fans! They got the "Elton John sound" with "Lady What's Tomorrow", and holy smokes!...Caleb Quaye, his guitar playing, solos and fills, are some of the best! Wouldn't it be so good for them to reunite with the current EJ Band on stage...maybe Dodger Stadium 2022?
    We didn't get a 50th anniversary package of Empty Sky (deluxe edition, etc.), but with things coming out whenever now...looking at you Sgt. Zippo, LOL! Anything is possible. WHAT A "DEBUT" ALBUM!!!!

●Further reading/listening:
    ▪︎John F. Higgins' article," 'Empty Sky'-Elton's First Album Turns 50 today", from eltonjohn.com. (More details and Regaholic has posted that article on this thread).
    ▪︎Neil Barrett's podcast episode, "Episode 31- Empty Sky at 50", from the I Guess That's Why They Call It the Elton John Podcast found on Eltonography.com.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  22. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Cool thread. I love Elton John.

Jarleboy, Fred1 and D. Davis like this.
  23. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I've had all EJ albums (regular studio albums) since the 90's. There's two that I miss. Two that I've never heard. It's Victim of Love and Leather Jackets. If I don't find them in time I will listen to them on Youtube.

Jarleboy and D. Davis like this.
  24. EMPTY SKY ::: 7 stars out of 10 - It's an enjoyable album and I give it a spin a few times a year.

I was 15 years old and my first contact with this album was around 1975-76, IIRC. I purchased a bootleg 8-track tape, which had the 'Sphinx' cover, for $3.99 from somewhere. I know it wasn't properly issued by MCA.

Had no idea this album existed until then. I didn't like it, for the most part. I recognized "Skyline Pigeon" from the b-side of the "Daniel" 45 which I bought a couple of years earlier. I still prefer that b-side (Band version) to the version on ES.

Anyway ... years later, I purchased the 1995 reissue CD (Classic Years - with the 4 bonus tracks). The improved sonics, from what I'd heard before, led to me listen to this album more intently.

It has become a favorite Elton album of mine.

Favorite tracks are :

"Empty Sky"
    "Valhalla"
    "Sails"
    "Skyline Pigeon"
    "Gulliver - Hay Chewed / reprise" --- I have asked this before somewhere on this forum and got no answer : Has there been any album prior to Empty Sky that contained a track that encapsulated snippets of the album as a summation?

Suncola, mooseman, The MEZ and 6 others like this.
  25. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Yes, me too. And after years of meeting other EJ fans (especially around here) and hearing their opinions about it, my feeling is that preference (generally) seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of the 1972 "piano version" with the Buckmaster arrangement on it. The harpsicord and the mixing on the 1969 version is just a little too much, for my ears anyway. It's distracting. I suppose that may just be my own, personal prejudice against harpsicords, of which I can only hear so much before I go nuts. Anyway, the piano demo of "Skyline Pigeon" that turned up last year on Jewel Box, though still not as good (in my opinion) as the 1972 version, amazed me. It's still one of my favorite cuts from the set.

Question for anyone here that has a copy of A Very Special Collection (DJM, Japan only, 1971): Is the mix of "Skyline Pigeon" any different on that? I recall someone (can't recall where, though it may have been around here) once suggesting that the mix on that disc was a bit different, i.e. that the intro wasn't as wide stereo as the 1969 cut on Empty Sky.