Elton John's Albums Discussion 1969-present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by D. Davis, Jun 24, 2021.

1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It's not the only homage on the album. The title song is a more or less intentional homage to the Stones' "Sympathy For the Devil".

The creation of Empty Sky is discussed in detail on the "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Elton John Podcast" podcast (as is just about everything else to do with Elton). Up till this point, he and Bernie had put a lot of sweat into crafting "pop songs", songs that they thought would appeal to the market. They weren't very successful. Alarm bells started to ring when they got a letter saying "Sorry, we can't use your song" from a band they had never even heard of. Someone in the Dick James organisation gave them a talking to, and convinced them that what they needed to do was write the music that they actually felt, rather than attempting to tailor it for the market.

"Empty Sky" was the first product of this new approach. Irrespective of whenther you like the album or not, I think you have to admit that it has a kind of adventurous "Let's try this" "Let's see how that sounds" spirit that is missing from some of his later work when he became fully established and accepted.

MikeManaic61, Jarleboy, Bevok and 3 others like this.
  2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't think there's any harm in mentioning bonus tracks that came on re-releases of the album we are currently discussing in any given week, as many people are likely to have those re-releases. I do agree though that discussion about Reg Strikes Back or Victim of Love should wait until we arrive at those albums.

In other words, this week's album is Empty Sky, so I think discussion should be limited to (a) that album itself, and (b) other versions/performances of the songs from that album.

Bevok and D. Davis like this.
  3. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Thanks very much for the tip. I have no DJM Japan CD pressings of any of these albums. I do have EAC peaks on file for many of them though, and nearly always the DJM Japan copies turn out to be clones of either the DJM UK/Nimbus or the DJM WG/Polygram issues. I checked my file on Empty Sky, and no, the DJM Japan (1989, PHCR-6021) was not a clone of any previous issue. It appears to have its own, unique mastering. If I ever find a decently priced copy, I'll consider getting it, especially if it's that good.

I'd describe my copy's sleeve as a medium purple. But again, my copy's one of those translucent red A2/B3 pressings; it's not from the earliest batch. The sleeve itself is what I call a "second issue" sleeve, with the stereo indicator printed directly on the back (rather than a white sticker). The 2017 vinyl reissue did a bit better than most of the CD reissues (which were closer to royal blue) but used a darker shade of purple than I think was accurate. The 2019 SHM-CD issue's "mini-LP" paper sleeve was pretty close to the original DJM vinyl issue.

Jarleboy, Jagger69 and tonyc like this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

6. D. Davis

D. Davis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay! I surrender! LOL! We don't have to wait to "officially" talk about bonus tracks until To Be Continued..., Rare Masters, etc. First of all...those are weeks/months away. Second...it is easier for me, and maybe others to keep up (to catalog things and such). And...I suppose it makes since to do it that way, since we/I mention the reissues.
    Okay...with that said I will repost Empty Sky, in a bit, with my thoughts on the bonus tracks.
    As far as when to talk about what (original album, bonus tracks, etc.)...whenever you feel ready to.
    This is fun so far! Hope everyone else is!
    Thank ou all!

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

8. D. Davis

But, Jewel Box and Regimental Sgt. Zippo, we will still wait on. I have an idea when we get to TBC... and Rare Masters.
    Early enough to make just some slight changes.
    Thank you all again.

9. D. Davis

Before/Around Empty Sky 1965-1969

•Elton, as Reg Dwight, writes, records, performs with Bluesology, with songs like, "Come Back Baby" and "Mr. Frantic". (Will/can be discussed further with To Be Continued.../Jewel Box).
    •Meets and forms a lifetime writing partnership with Bernie Taupin.
    •Records several demos at Dick James Studios with Caleb Quaye producing. (Will/can be discussed further with Jewel Box).
    •Records his first album at Dick James Studios, Regimental Sgt. Zippo, which was rejected and "lost" for years...until this year, 2021. (Will/can be discussed further at a later date).
    •Releases first UK singles/b-sides, "I've Been Loving You"/"Here's To The Next Time", "Lady Samantha"/"All Across The Havens", and "It's Me That You Need"/"Just Like Strange Rain"...they all fail to chart. (Will/can be discussed further with Rare Masters).
    •Releases first US single, "Lady Samantha"...fails to chart.
    -Records demos/covers as a session musician (lead and backing vocals/piano) during various dates, even a few years after becoming successful, resulting in Top of the Pops discount/bargain bin records and the Warwick Sessions in the UK. (Some covers have been released over the years in various compilations...never officially by Elton or his team, or even recognized? Or are they? Eventhough, some of these pop up on streaming services and are on Elton's official YouTube channel in "albums and singles" section. We could have a bonus discussion about these when we are finished with the official albums. Personal note...would love to see all these songs collected and officially released and recognized, someday, by Elton and his team).

OK...LET'S GET STARTED!

■Empty Sky (1969/1975 US, with alternate cover)
    ▪︎Recorded at Dick James Studios in London, UK. Steve Brown-producer, Frank Owen-engineer, Clive Franks-tape operator, Dave Larkham-sleeve design/illustration, Jim Goff-sleeve production/lunch
    (1975 US front cover by FOLON, or Belgian artist Jean Michel Folon, back cover photo by Terry O'Neill)
    ▪︎Musicians: Elton John-piano/organ/electric piano/harpsichord, Caleb Quaye-electric and acoustic guitars/conga drums, Tony Murray-bass guitar, Roger Pope-drums/percussion, Don Fay-tenor saxophone, flute, Graham Vickery-harmonica (on "Empty Sky"), Nigel Olsson-drums (on "Lady What's Tomorrow"), Clive Franks-whistling (on "Hymn 2000)
    ▪︎All songs written by Elton John/Bernie Taupin.
    ▪︎US Billboard 200 (1975) peak position #6. No RIAA certifications. (However, got lots of airplay on UK radio during time of release.)
    ▪︎Available on vinyl/CD/streaming services.

-TRACKLIST-
    1. "Empty Sky"
    ▪︎Recorded January 14, 1969.
    ▪︎Mentioned in the Rolling Stone (October 24, 2013 issue) article, "Elton John: My Life in 20 Songs" with Cameron Crowe (big Elton fan!).

MY TAKE:
    I love how this song opens up with congas, played by Quaye, and then Elton, all of a sudden, comes in with a sharp, "cut through the air" piano. It sounds dangerous, adventurous and the lyrics suggest that as well. What an epic opening song!

2. "Val-Hala"
    ▪︎Recorded January 28, 1969.
    ▪︎Titled "Valhalla" on US release.

MY TAKE:
    I think this is a nice "folk-rock" song...about Norse mythology! Elton plays the heck outta the harpsichord...which I don't particularly like, but sounds nice here. It's sorta early 60's Dylan to me.

3. "Western Ford Gateway"

MY TAKE:
    A nice country-western tune...sign of things to come, but much more in sync, with this type of song, on Tumbleweed Connection.

4. "Hymn 2000"
    ▪︎Recorded January 22, 1969.

MY TAKE:
    For me...still a bit rough to listen to. Obviously about someone living/coping with someone with a mental illness, but daydreaming of better days. I love the piano intro by Elton and the tambourine throughout by Roger Pope...so that keeps me interested! That's the thing about Elton's songs for me, ALL OF THEM, I can find something to enjoy in each one.

5. "Lady What's Tomorrow"
    ▪︎Recorded November 19, 1968.

MY TAKE:
    This sounds like the Elton we've all come to know and love...maybe some of that is due to Nigel Olsson on drums (1st time), or the melodic, light and breezy piano opening, and throughout, of Elton's playing and singing. Just sounds familiar...very nice!

6. "Sails"

MY TAKE:
    Love this song...what a rocker! You have to instantly be a fan of Caleb Quaye's guitar playing (Eric Clapton once called him the best...that's high praise!), and Elton's rock voice and keyboard playing is magnificent!

7. "The Scaffold"

MY TAKE:
    A nice song that probably coulda been pitched around the coffee/poetry houses in Greenwich Village in the 60's, if Elton was in New York during that time. Elton's voice is so smooth here.

8. "Skyline Pigeon"
    ▪︎Elton sang this at Ryan White's funeral.
    ▪︎Very popular song in Latin America, especially the 1973 re-recorded version (found on Rare Masters and Diamonds deluxe set).
    ▪︎This version played during the end credits of the 2018 film, The Favourite.

MY TAKE:
    I heard the live version on Here and There first, so when I finally heard the original...I didn't like it...Lol! Oh goodness the harpsichord just going on and on and on, but I learned to appreciate it more. It's very neat to learn that Elton was the only musician on this, playing the harpsichord (of course) and organ! Don't get me wrong, the piano is my favorite instrument, and Elton's playing is the best to me, but harpsichord...different animal! But, it would be cool if Elton revisited the harpsichord, a bit, on a new album. However, this song is lyrically very sweet and Elton does put a nice melodic feel to it, and when the organ comes into the second half of the song...well that's just wonderful!

9."Gulliver/Hay Chewed/Reprise"
    ▪︎Titled "It's Hay Chewed" on 1995 CD reissue.

MY TAKE:
    The "Gulliver" part is tragic lyrically, about Bernie loosing his dog...I believe?, but the wistful electric guitar in the background, by Quaye, certainly helps lift this song melodically. Then we get a jazz interlude with, "Hay Chewed", an obvious "Hey Jude" moniker...maybe not necessary, but I think it's cool...I mean, it's a jazz interlude. Then, "Reprise"...don't know...why not I guess? I remember first hearing this part as a teenager that it was cool, and it's still cool by me.

■1995/96 CD reissue bonus tracks:
    ▪︎All these tracks also on Rare Masters (1992).

10. "Lady Samantha"

MY TAKE:
    Love the guitar work by Caleb Quaye, of course...his "sound" is significant isn't it. Surprised it didn't do better as a single, especially in the US.

11. "All Across The Havens"

MY TAKE:
    Obviously, sounds like this could have fit right on the Empty Sky original album. Nice folk-rock song.

12. "It's Me That You Need"

MY TAKE:
    Love this song! Remember hearing it first on To Be Continued..., and not being able to continue listening to the rest of the box set after that. I was stuck...and hooked on this song. Love it so much! So innocent. And that guitar fill...so good! Could've been a major hit for Elton after he became more popular.

13. "Just Like Strange Rain"

MY TAKE:
    Again the Quaye guitar work is phenomenal and fun...especially towards the end. Sounds like Elton got into a nice flow with his voice and melody.

MY TAKE ON THE WHOLE ORIGINAL ALBUM:
    When I first heard this as a teenager in the early 90's, first collecting Elton's music, I listened, by then, to all the classic years stuff, but this one. My immediate reaction...what the heck is this, what has he done? (I didn't know in the beginning that this was his first album, just went by US discographies available then to us). I thought it was awful...now I love it and it's probably one of my favorite albums! Like a fine wine, as they say.
    Elton and Bernie have often said this album is very naive...and I get why they say that, of course. However, I say it's experimental and awesome for a "debut" album. There's stuff here for rock music fans, folk music fans, country music fans...I would even say prog-rock fans! They got the "Elton John sound" with "Lady What's Tomorrow", and holy smokes!...Caleb Quaye, his guitar playing, solos and fills, are some of the best! Wouldn't it be so good for them to reunite with the current EJ Band on stage...maybe Dodger Stadium 2022?
    We didn't get a 50th anniversary package of Empty Sky (deluxe edition, etc.), but with things coming out whenever now...looking at you Sgt. Zippo, LOL! Anything is possible. WHAT A "DEBUT" ALBUM!!!!

●Further reading/listening:
    ▪︎John F. Higgins' article," 'Empty Sky'-Elton's First Album Turns 50 today", from eltonjohn.com. (More details and Regaholic has posted that article on this thread).
    ▪︎Neil Barrett's podcast episode, "Episode 31- Empty Sky at 50", from the I Guess That's Why They Call It the Elton John Podcast found on Eltonography.com.

Jarleboy, Jagger69, Carlox and 5 others like this.
  10. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

The title track can't make its mind up whether it wants to be Sympathy For The Devil or an off-cut from Sgt Pepper. There's a cluster of Townshend-like power chords, yet it trundles along in a forgettable sort of way.

Val-Hala, Skyline Pigeon and Western Ford Gateway would have made a great EP; stately melancholy at its best.

Overall, the album has too many non-entities.

Mooserfan and D. Davis like this.
  11. D. Davis

●Before/Around Empty Sky 1965-1969

•Elton, as Reg Dwight, writes, records, performs with Bluesology, with songs like, "Come Back Baby" and "Mr. Frantic". (Will/can be discussed further with To Be Continued.../Jewel Box).
    •Meets and forms a lifetime writing partnership with Bernie Taupin.
    •Records several demos at Dick James Studios with Caleb Quaye producing. (Will/can be discussed further with Jewel Box).
    •Records his first album at Dick James Studios, Regimental Sgt. Zippo, which was rejected and "lost" for years...until this year, 2021. (Will/can be discussed further at a later date).
    •Releases first UK singles/b-sides, "I've Been Loving You"/"Here's To The Next Time", "Lady Samantha"/"All Across The Havens", and "It's Me That You Need"/"Just Like Strange Rain"...they all fail to chart. (Will/can be discussed further with Rare Masters).
    •Releases first US single, "Lady Samantha"...fails to chart.
    -Records demos/covers as a session musician (lead and backing vocals/piano) during various dates, even a few years after becoming successful, resulting in Top of the Pops discount/bargain bin records and the Warwick Sessions in the UK. (Some covers have been released over the years in various compilations...never officially by Elton or his team, or even recognized? Or are they? Eventhough, some of these pop up on streaming services and are on Elton's official YouTube channel in "albums and singles" section. We could have a bonus discussion about these when we are finished with the official albums. Personal note...would love to see all these songs collected and officially released and recognized, someday, by Elton and his team).

OK...LET'S GET STARTED!

■Empty Sky (1969/1975 US, with alternate cover)
    ▪︎Recorded at Dick James Studios in London, UK. Steve Brown-producer, Frank Owen-engineer, Clive Franks-tape operator, Dave Larkham-sleeve design/illustration, Jim Goff-sleeve production/lunch
    (1975 US front cover by FOLON, or Belgian artist Jean Michel Folon, back cover photo by Terry O'Neill)
    ▪︎Musicians: Elton John-piano/organ/electric piano/harpsichord, Caleb Quaye-electric and acoustic guitars/conga drums, Tony Murray-bass guitar, Roger Pope-drums/percussion, Don Fay-tenor saxophone, flute, Graham Vickery-harmonica (on "Empty Sky"), Nigel Olsson-drums (on "Lady What's Tomorrow"), Clive Franks-whistling (on "Hymn 2000)
    ▪︎All songs written by Elton John/Bernie Taupin.
    ▪︎US Billboard 200 (1975) peak position #6. No RIAA certifications. (However, got lots of airplay on UK radio during time of release.)
    ▪︎Available on vinyl/CD/streaming services.

-TRACKLIST-
    1. "Empty Sky"
    ▪︎Recorded January 14, 1969.
    ▪︎Mentioned in the Rolling Stone (October 24, 2013 issue) article, "Elton John: My Life in 20 Songs" with Cameron Crowe (big Elton fan!).

MY TAKE:
    I love how this song opens up with congas, played by Quaye, and then Elton, all of a sudden, comes in with a sharp, "cut through the air" piano. It sounds dangerous, adventurous and the lyrics suggest that as well. What an epic opening song!

2. "Val-Hala"
    ▪︎Titled "Valhalla" on US release.

MY TAKE:
    I think this is a nice "folk-rock" song...about Norse mythology! Elton plays the heck outta the harpsichord...which I don't particularly like, but sounds nice here. It's sorta early 60's Dylan to me.

3. "Western Ford Gateway"

MY TAKE:
    A nice country-western tune...sign of things to come, but much more in sync, with this type of song, on Tumbleweed Connection.

4. "Hymn 2000"
    ▪︎Recorded January 22, 1969.

MY TAKE:
    For me...still a bit rough to listen to. Obviously about someone living/coping with someone with a mental illness, but daydreaming of better days. I love the piano intro by Elton and the tambourine throughout by Roger Pope...so that keeps me interested! That's the thing about Elton's songs for me, ALL OF THEM, I can find something to enjoy in each one.

5. "Lady What's Tomorrow"
    ▪︎Recorded November 19, 1968.

MY TAKE:
    This sounds like the Elton we've all come to know and love...maybe some of that is due to Nigel Olsson on drums (1st time), or the melodic, light and breezy piano opening, and throughout, of Elton's playing and singing. Just sounds familiar...very nice!

6. "Sails"

MY TAKE:
    Love this song...what a rocker! You have to instantly be a fan of Caleb Quaye's guitar playing (Eric Clapton once called him the best...that's high praise!), and Elton's rock voice and keyboard playing is magnificent!

7. "The Scaffold"

MY TAKE:
    A nice song that probably coulda been pitched around the coffee/poetry houses in Greenwich Village in the 60's, if Elton was in New York during that time. Elton's voice is so smooth here.

8. "Skyline Pigeon"
    ▪︎Elton sang this at Ryan White's funeral.
    ▪︎Very popular song in Latin America, especially the 1973 re-recorded version (found on Rare Masters and Diamonds deluxe set).
    ▪︎This version played during the end credits of the 2018 film, The Favourite.

MY TAKE:
    I heard the live version on Here and There first, so when I finally heard the original...I didn't like it...Lol! Oh goodness the harpsichord just going on and on and on, but I learned to appreciate it more. It's very neat to learn that Elton was the only musician on this, playing the harpsichord (of course) and organ! Don't get me wrong, the piano is my favorite instrument, and Elton's playing is the best to me, but harpsichord...different animal! But, it would be cool if Elton revisited the harpsichord, a bit, on a new album. However, this song is lyrically very sweet and Elton does put a nice melodic feel to it, and when the organ comes into the second half of the song...well that's just wonderful!

9."Gulliver/Hay Chewed/Reprise"
    ▪︎Titled "It's Hay Chewed" on 1995 CD reissue.

MY TAKE:
    The "Gulliver" part is tragic lyrically, about Bernie loosing his dog...I believe?, but the wistful electric guitar in the background, by Quaye, certainly helps lift this song melodically. Then we get a jazz interlude with, "Hay Chewed", an obvious "Hey Jude" moniker...maybe not necessary, but I think it's cool...I mean, it's a jazz interlude. Then, "Reprise"...don't know...why not I guess? I remember first hearing this part as a teenager that it was cool, and it's still cool by me.

■1995/96 CD reissue bonus tracks:
    ▪︎All these tracks also on Rare Masters (1992).

10. "Lady Samantha"
    ▪︎UK/US single...failed to chart. First single in US.

MY TAKE:
    Love the guitar work by Caleb Quaye, of course...his "sound" is significant isn't it. Surprised it didn't do better as a single, especially in the US.

11. "All Across The Havens"
    ▪︎B-side of "Lady Samantha".

MY TAKE:
    Obviously, sounds like this could have fit right on the Empty Sky original album. Nice folk-rock song.

12. "It's Me That You Need"
    ▪︎UK single...failed to chart.

MY TAKE:
    Love this song! Remember hearing it first on To Be Continued..., and not being able to continue listening to the rest of the box set after that. I was stuck...and hooked on this song. Love it so much! So innocent. And that guitar fill...so good! Could've been a major hit for Elton after he became more popular.

13. "Just Like Strange Rain"
    ▪︎B-side of "It's Me That You Need".

MY TAKE:
    Again the Quaye guitar work is phenomenal and fun...especially towards the end. Sounds like Elton got into a nice flow with his voice and melody.

MY TAKE ON THE WHOLE ORIGINAL ALBUM:
    When I first heard this as a teenager in the early 90's, first collecting Elton's music, I listened, by then, to all the classic years stuff, but this one. My immediate reaction...what the heck is this, what has he done? (I didn't know in the beginning that this was his first album, just went by US discographies available then to us). I thought it was awful...now I love it and it's probably one of my favorite albums! Like a fine wine, as they say.
    Elton and Bernie have often said this album is very naive...and I get why they say that, of course. However, I say it's experimental and awesome for a "debut" album. There's stuff here for rock music fans, folk music fans, country music fans...I would even say prog-rock fans! They got the "Elton John sound" with "Lady What's Tomorrow", and holy smokes!...Caleb Quaye, his guitar playing, solos and fills, are some of the best! Wouldn't it be so good for them to reunite with the current EJ Band on stage...maybe Dodger Stadium 2022?
    We didn't get a 50th anniversary package of Empty Sky (deluxe edition, etc.), but with things coming out whenever now...looking at you Sgt. Zippo, LOL! Anything is possible. WHAT A "DEBUT" ALBUM!!!!

●Further reading/listening:
    ▪︎John F. Higgins' article," 'Empty Sky'-Elton's First Album Turns 50 today", from eltonjohn.com. (More details and Regaholic has posted that article on this thread).
    ▪︎Neil Barrett's podcast episode, "Episode 31- Empty Sky at 50", from the I Guess That's Why They Call It the Elton John Podcast found on Eltonography.com.

Jagger69, Oyster Boy and Regaholic like this.
  12. D. Davis

Above is final. Forgive me for previous "draft".

13. Regaholic

Regaholic Forum Resident

Here is my EJ Timeline for Empty Sky, minus its US release. (Sorry it's so damn huge – I need to learn how to post photos better.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  14. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I first got It's Me That You Need on the flip of an MCA import single. The A side was Lady Samantha which I didn’t get at that age, but IMTYN blew my mind and I couldn’t understand why it hadn’t been a massive hit. Even back then in the seventies early Elton original singles were fetching about £40 if memory serves and I could never afford the originals. Then I got the Lady Samantha cassette which mopped up Just Like Strange rain as well. I could imagine IMTYN on S/T with a big string arrangement by Buckmaster.

15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Re the other tracks recorded around this time: Just Like Strange Rain, All Across the Havens, and Lady Samantha all impressed me as good and interesting songs, if perhaps not fully formed. It's Me That You Need, on the other hand, sounded to me like a competently performed but fairly ordinary pop song. I gather from others' comments that I may be in the minority here. The song is pretty much in line with pop fashions of the time - and that may have been the problem. It was OK but it didn't stand out from the crowd. How many pop songs have been written on the theme of that title? Right, thousands. This may have bee what Steve Brown was meaning when he urged the guys to stop trying so hard to get a hit single and to instead write from the heart and take a few risks.

The other three songs I find more satisfying, and they all sound much more like the Elton heard on Empty Sky. Lady Samantha has a similar feel to Western Ford Gateway; All Cross the Havens is cut from the same cloth as Valhalla.Including these on the original Empty Sky album might have been an exercise in redundancy, but they certainly do not deserve to be forgotten.

A general comment: part of the appeal of these early Elton/Bernie songs is that it's not always obvious just what the lyrics are supposed to be about. This is especially true on Empty Sky, but also evident to a certain degree on the self-titled album and Tumbleweed Connection, but by the time you get to Honky Chateau the cryptic lyrics have largely been left behind and the songs have a more straightforward narrative. They are still great songs, but that air of mystery found on those early albums is something Elton would never again truly recapture.

16. Solly Bridgetower

Can anyone explain to me how to post photos here? I've a photo I'd love to share. The summer I was last in London, I found an original mono Philips 45 of "Lady Samantha" at a collectibles shop on Cecil Court, just off Charing Cross Road. I realized that, if I took the tube, I could reach to 71-75 New Oxford Street (the former DJM building, where EJ recorded the single) fairly quickly, and so I went. I've a photo of the building with me holding the 45 up in the foreground.

Jarleboy, Smiler, Jagger69 and 4 others like this.
  17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I bought the UK vinyl of Empty Sky back around 2000. It was in a used record store and who knows how long it was there. I remember picking it up and the “Stereo” sticker fell off the spine and under that it read “Mono”. I don’t remember if I ever played the album, I am sure I still have it, but that sticker has stuck with me ever since. Funny the little things you remember, but I can’t remember much from last week!

Ovrall Empty Sky doesn’t do much for me. I play the self titled album like crazy though.

18. D. Davis

19. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Basically what this forum space is asking for when you click on the photo icon is a url. If you've shared this photo on FB for example just right click on copy image address and paste into the the box that shows up when you click on the photo icon.
    If it's not online already you need to post it online first I use a website called Post Images.
    Postimages — free image hosting / image upload

20. HalloweenJack95

HalloweenJack95 Forum Resident

As a huge Elton John Fan I am happy that I've came across this thread.
    I am not that familiar with very early studio outtakes(pre 1969). So the recent RDS was a real treat for me. Has anyone here also bought "Sgt. Zippo"?

Regaholic and D. Davis like this.
  21. David Robinson

David Robinson Forum Resident

When I first started listening to Elton, it was mainly only his material, and whatever was on the charts at the time (85 onwards) I wasn't a big fan of the album first off, it grew on me more as I became aware of other material released at the same time, not only by established artists such as the Beatles, but early material by other artists I started to get into.

Then of course when I heard the non album singles I started to play around making cassettes with the best bits of the album, and the best single bits. Now I'd only swap out and in a couple of tracks, All Across The Havens for one, I think the singles don't really fit anymore as Solly mentioned.

I think a timeline would be really useful at this point, I've spent a lot of time gathering as much official information as possible to try and make a list of what Elton was doing and recording at the time, so many different projects, with his solo material, the covers session work, the Bread and Beer gang stuff, and other little bits and pieces.

The articles on EJ.com, and the dates on the Jewel Box help, and the timeline does show just how busy he was, and how recordings merged together, up to recording EJ and Tumbleweed from the same batch of lyrics.

Back to the Album - Favourite track has to be Sails, with the Radio Session version a real bonus.

Jarleboy, Regaholic, Jagger69 and 3 others like this.
  22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I've mentioned this podcast a few times - here's a link the the episode in which Empty Sky is discussed in depth:

Episode 31 - Empty Sky at 50

23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

If I can ask a discussion question:

Since I was too young to remember 1975, I was wondering if it was well known at the time Empty Sky was a 1969 album or did MCA try to get you to think you were buying the "new" Elton John album?

I imagine there had to be resentment among some fans who purchased it and wished they could get a refund.

Jarleboy, Regaholic and D. Davis like this.
  24. D. Davis

25. Solly Bridgetower

Funny you should ask that, because I was thinking about that just recently. Back in 1975, my mother had thought it was EJ's new album and was quite surprised when she played it for the first time. She was a young teenager then and lived in the middle of nowhere; her information sources were her friends at school, and seldom did they know more about forthcoming LPs than she did. Still, I'm not sure if she'd noticed the photo of EJ from ca. 1969-70 that fills the back of the sleeve; that might have saved her a bit of shock.

In MCA's defense though, I have many ca. 1975 newspaper ads for the album in my files and almost all, in some way, reveal that Empty Sky was a new release but contained old music. Most journalists that mentioned the MCA version in their articles and columns also noted that it was not new material. So, I'm sure MCA had included that piece of information it in whatever news release they issued at the time. Moreover, Empty Sky had been available in the US and Canada as a DJM import for a good while before the MCA release. By mid-1974, for example, enough DJM import copies existed in the US and Canada that at least one music journalist proclaimed Empty Sky as "now available in the US for the first time on DJM Records" (June 1974). (The same critic, Bud Newman, also described the album as "meaningless and boring"! Haha.) Around the same time (July 1974), another newspaper announced that Empty Sky was "about to flood the United States ... [it] was released only recently in the country". So, I think by the time the MCA version came out, many North American fans knew what it was.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021