Elton John's Albums Discussion 1969-present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by D. Davis, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

as for John not playing on it. I could be wrong. I believe I read it contemporaneously I might of read it in Rocket Man. Gosh, I'm not really sure.

2. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Yes, he did in 1975. A promo thing. I just forget the station. He did it again in late 1976.

Jagger69 and Paul Gase like this.
  3. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

i have to say, i agree 100% with this. maybe being a relative elton old-timer, i was bitterly disappointed in that record - possibly for every reason that some folks like it.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

He once generalized his thoughts about Elton with the aphorism "good Elton rocks, bad Elton doesn't".

I don't agree with that as a basic rule, but, on the whole, I'm more of a fan of Elton's harder rocking side than his ballad side, which is probably a reason I rate Rock of the Westies so highly.

5. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

TOP were on the entire tour. My first concert was Elton at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, on November 12th, 1974. The entire show is “out there” on YouTube.

6. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Apparently this was because of a change in American tax laws that took place at the beginning of 1976. The original plan had been to record the next album (what became Blue Moves) at Caribou Ranch as well, but the tax law change made it prohibitively expensive for foreign-based acts to do that. I have no idea of the specifics of this. I only know that Gus Dudgeon stated that the decision to record in Toronto was a last-minute one that nobody was particularly happy with.

Solly Bridgetower likes this.
  7. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Just to step back for a moment...

I became curious about the comments about Rock Of The Westies and the sound quality behind various issues. Obviously, there would be the inevitable difference in CD masterings and such. I had been using the 1996 Rocket/Mercury CD as a reference for my earlier comments. It's alright, a fairly average 90's reissue, but far from objectionable.

But there seemed to be some concerns about the original mix and how it may have affected one's perception of the album. I still have my Canadian MCA LP that was purchased in 1975, and it's in really great shape. So I couldn't help giving it a spin to hear what all the consternation was about.

Frankly, this '75 MCA pressing sounds incredibly good. It has a clear and open sound, which is supported by a decent bottom end. The first thing you notice is that proverbial "phat" (but clean) bass sound which drives a bunch of tracks on this album. While Dee Murray had a generally strong supporting role in Elton's band, Passarelli has a more upfront presence here. The guitars on this mix sound sharp and present, when required, but never fade into the background. Elton's vocals do sound a bit forward, but I would think one would expect that on an Elton John album. Heck, Elton John would expect that on an Elton John album. Still, I don't detect any kind of struggle between the vocals and the guitars on this; everything seems relatively balanced to me. In fact, the vocals throughout have a nice presence and aren't overwhelmed by the band, and vice versa. Overall, in terms of basic mix and sound quality, there is very little to complain about, IMHO.

But there's more!

I also have a copy of the recent DJM/Mercury vinyl reissue. How does it compare? Let's take a look...uh, listen.

Right off the top, there seems to be a slightly smoother top end, a shade less brightness. But that's most noticeable on the vocals, while the rest of the sonic spectrum appears to be intact. "Grow Some Funk" has a solid foundation of guitar and bass, while Elton's vocal holds steady. But my copy has some kind of anomaly, specifically on the last half of Side 1 ("Grow Some Funk" & "Robert Ford"). As long as I keep the volume at a reasonable level, all's cool. But if I attempt to crank it, I can feel the sofa I'm sitting on start to shimmer, while the coffee table in front of me acquires a peculiar vibration. The woofers are definitely being pushed to their limits. I suspect an issue with the vinyl pressing.

Despite that one oddity, this is also a very enjoyable and well mastered release. If you thought Elton's vocals were being pushed out at the expense of the guitar tracks, this would definitely counter that perception. "Street Kids" and "Hard Luck Story" sound amazing on this pressing. The guitars sparkle, the vocals are nicely balanced. The bass on "Feed Me" is enveloping. "Billy Bones" shines.

Anyway, all of this only confirms for me that ROTW is, at the very least, a decent recording. While it doesn't repair the intrinsic faults of the "Medley" or "Dan Dare", I'd say that this album offers up an enjoyable sonic experience, given the right platform.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    robcar, JamesRR, Jagger69 and 4 others like this.
  8. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Agree. I missed the hype for it being a couple of years prior to my record collecting, but when a mate brought it round, it blew my mind and as I said made me a life long fan. Imagine Here and There having that effect, not a chance.

9. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Always preferred Elton's, but the Mind Games album is one of those ultimate grower albums that took a long time to sink in. Over the last decade or so in the context of the MG body of work I couldn't call which one is best.

10. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Thinking about Elton live (as I grit my teeth listening again to the Here portion of Here and There), we need some offical tarted up complete versions or indeed compiled versions from certain tours e.g. 1980 Central Park plus/minus others from the tour which might be better renditions; 1982 (pick the best, most complete one with the slowest tempos) 1984 Sydney, 1984 Wembley (including 1984 Poland - need that 1984 version of Funeral For A Friend/LLB!!); something reasonably complete from 1976 (3 1/2 hours though...)

11. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Probably his worst live vocals ever (prior to the solo charity version of Am Thill Tanding he did in his garden a year or so back).

Also LIA is the most remarkable effort at making an £80,000 Steinway ModelD sound like a pub piano mixed with a child's toy keyboard I have ever heard. Truly a superb effort. The orchestra must have been amused if not a little disgusted.

12. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I quite like Live In Australia and One Night Only. I like his deeper voice just fine. And the vocals on Here And There are fine, in my opinion.

Jayseph likes this.
  13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I love Live In Australia DESPITE his deeper voice. It's not so much that it was deeper, it was just after he had had surgery on his vocal chords and you can tell - his voice breaks in a few places. On later recordings when he had recovered from the surgery and his deeper voice had stabilised,he sounds just fine.

I have more to say about this album, but I'll leave it until we come to the proper time for discussing it.

D. Davis, Jagger69 and MrJerry1876 like this.
  14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Didn’t he have the surgery after the Australia shows?

15. Solly Bridgetower

Correct. His surgery occurred just after, not before, the Australia tour with the MSO.

16. Solly Bridgetower

I like Here and There. I never thought much of the original album but I do like the expanded version. The original album probably should've just been the MSG show, though, and maybe a double LP instead of a single.

17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Oh yes, you're right. I guess the poor quality of his voice, as evidenced on that recording, was the catalyst for having the surgery.

He had to cancel his Perth concert because of it. Of course he has performed in Perth many times, but not with the MSO.

PTgraphics and Jagger69 like this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

22. Here And There ::: 7 stars out of 10

Pertaining to the original USA / MCA LP issue : Not sure if anyone has commented on this aspect, but Side One displays the White/Rainbow label. I've never seen that design before or since. Side Two displays the (at the time) regular Black/Rainbow label.
    -----
    edit: @Scope J just presented pics for this. Thanks for all you do, @Scope J !
    -----

The original issue LP is pretty good and the later-issued, expanded, 2xCD package is better! Well worth investigating.

Not sure if I will revisit this album, often - That said ... it's a cool slice of "live" Elton in different settings.

The New York versions of some of the early-rostered songs seem kinda rushed or blase. The John Lennon/Elton John (and band) songs are fantastic, of course!

My favorite tracks :

HERE : The whole "Live In London" disc.

THERE : "Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding"
    " Rocket Man"
    "The Lennon Triad"
    "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"

Bring on Blue Moves.

23. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

My Canadian MCA copy sounds great and plays just fine. Frankly, for a mid-70's rock recording, it's a pretty decent sounding live album.

24. vinyldad62

vinyldad62 Forum Resident

As a kid back then it sounded great to me.
    guess I'm still a kid today...

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  25. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I've listened to the original four or five times this week and regained a certain amount of respect for it. I did have trouble with my LP copy but I later had it on 8 track (the one shown by @Scope J) which if I recall wasn't nearly as quiet. When I got the Classic Years CD the whole thing was quite overwhelming especially the middle of the "Here" disc. The additions were better than the songs that appeared on the original disc. The 2 - disc still is my favorite Elton live release.

Scope J, D. Davis, Jagger69 and 2 others like this.