"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Billboard's number is low. According to Box Office Mojo, Elvis has made $235,014,057 worldwide. Since it "only" cost a thrifty $85 million, they're getting close to making triple its production cost, which I'd say guarantees that it made a profit (even in Hollywood). I think they were hoping it would make it to Bohemian Rhapsody's levels (cost $55M, made $910M, which was a massive hit), but it's wound up doing better overall in the theaters than the Elton John movie Rocketman, which cost $40M and made $195M.

jeremylr, Old Rusty, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  2. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Who knows, I was half asleep, but just adding I guess that the picture image on my last viewing wasn't bad just not as as good

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

The latest update from Deadline on Elvis's worldwide box office numbers:

Also from Warner Bros, Elvis has now passed $100M overseas, showing great legs with just a 25% drop this session. The offshore cume is $105.3M for $234.3M worldwide. The movie has released in all of its markets and is led by the UK with $25.1M. Australia ($19.9M), France ($7.4M), Mexico ($5.2M) and Germany ($4.5M) round out the Top 5.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That can happen. The art house in my neighborhood, the Ranchmart/Glenwood Art has a decent projector in one of their houses, and mediocre ones in the other three. The mediocre ones have a slightly milky black and nowhere near the brightness of the better one.

5. Which leads me to wonder if they dubbed the film for countries like France, Mexico and Germany or was it ‘just’ subtitled? I’m trying to picture what in the heck they’d do with Hanks’ accent for a dubbed version, as well as the voice of Elvis.

RSteven and MRamble like this.
  6. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The milky blacks and dim overall brightness used to be the case pre-pandemic but I also noted of the 14 screens each theater varied according to which one I was in. It was so bad on one of the theaters I noted the number... "13" no kidding. And then on my next visit I'ld forget about the differences in the numbered theaters and I'ld utter OH CRAP! IT"S THEATER 13.

And sure enough milky blacks/dim screen.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

AMC has been showing subtitled Spanish language films. Only one I can see you right now is an animated film, and they have it both dubbed and subtitled.

[​IMG]

Shawn likes this.
  8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

D-rock, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

My guess is it will stay in theaters for at least another week or two, even if it starts streaming on HBO Max on August 8th as previously speculated. I just cannot see Warner Bros. closing down this box office juggernaut until it's cooled down a bit more.

Deuce66, Diego Lucas, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  10. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

went to see this on Sunday, 10 pm, and it was almost sold out. bunch of people under 30.

GillyT, artfromtex, garyt1957 and 4 others like this.
  11. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Too bad there wasn't a big to-do on August 16th for the movie. Could've been great.

This summer really called back to the hype of the Elvis Weeks during the 90s when Elvis was everywhere. It was real fun.

12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

HBO Max does not show the Elvis movie listed anywhere on their calendar for August nor does it mention the movie coming in its promotional video for this month. You can scroll down to see all coming August events once you follow the link. I just don't see this streaming until September in the U.S. Maybe late August at the very earliest.

New & Coming Soon to HBO Max | August 2022 | Movies, TV Shows & Originals

13. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Thanks for checking. Let's hope it hangs on for a bit longer!

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'll have to look to see if Apple TV has a release date. I have the movie on pre-order.

MRamble and RSteven like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Elvis
      • UHD
      • Dolby Vision
      • CC
      • Drama
      • 2 hr 39 min
      • Pre-Order: Expected Aug 9, 2022
    • Apple iTunes

GillyT, RSteven, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

At least one more week at some AMC Theaters.

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Exactly even if the weekly $ draws down at a rate of 30% it still has the potential to add another $25 million to the domestic box office number and maybe another $20 million in the rest of the world. Elvis ain't done yet.

Currently playing in 2,901 theatres in the domestic market. It opened in 3,906.

They would be leaving $ on the table if they speed up the move to "free" streaming, home PPV at $24.99 I can see but adding to HBO Max now makes no sense.

18. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Still listed at my local art house theater, and has times listed through to the end of next week as well! Looks like I'll be leaving work a little early one day soon to catch an afternoon screening for my 4th viewing of the movie!

19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

My local cinema has it for it's 7th weekend. Staring Friday it will be down to only two showings a day for Friday, Sat and Sunday, but hey, a 7th weekend is good

MRamble, artfromtex, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Great analysis once again and to just back it up with brand new numbers for Monday, August 1st, Elvis made another $900,000 domestically on one of the weakest days of the week. This is only a very modest drop-off of 17% from the previous Monday. Elvis still has significant legs as you outline so well in your post above.

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

"Elvis Is Coming Home" (Elvis the Movie) on digital formats to rent or purchase next week, directly from the horse's mouth, Mr. Baz Luhraman, on his instagram account. I tried to post the link, but failed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  22. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

23. Chris DeVoe

So they're going to have a high priced digital rental/purchase period of time, then go to HBO Max. I'm sure it will still be in some theaters for the next 2 weeks, and then, if they're smart, they'll have a re-release with extra material to get one last bump from theater showings.

24. They’re also leaving $ on the table if they don’t have screenings on August 16th honoring the 45th anniversary of his passing. They’d need to promote it at least a bit but Elvis fandom would turn out if they know about it.

August 16 falls on a Tuesday this year so they could potentially do a screening in the deluxe theaters in the multi-plexus without disturbing things too much for whatever would normally be playing in them.

It’s times like these I wish I owned a small independent theater - I’d make it a double-feature with That’s The Way It Is, have Elvis music going in the lobby (maybe even a DJ), give-always like LPs or other Elvis-themed items, would really be a fun event.

D-rock, GillyT, MRamble and 3 others like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

D-rock, Shawn, GillyT and 3 others like this.