Elvis 30 #1s Scans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by metalbob, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

For some reason, that Elvis thread was closed. Not sure why. Here are this week's Soundscan numbers for US sales of that CD:

2,068,641 total since 9/24/02, currently ranking at #12 on the Top 200.

broken down:
    2,035,222 on CD
    31,351 on cassette
    1,435 on LP
    636 on DVD (it just says DVD, but I think it means DVD-A)

I have no access to international numbers and certainly, no shipping information either.

BOB

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Last Rites and Prediction

636 DVD-As nationwide? Of the all-time catalog artist? A moment of silence for the DVD-A format, please.

I can hear Fremer now: "Despite being invisible on the marketplace, the ELV1S LP outsold the vaunted DVD-A issue, available from Tower and the other usual suspects, two to one. Guess consumers know which format is truly high resolution!"

He'll then neglect to mention the ratio of ELV1S CDs to LPs, but will instead proffer some sort of stat whereby LPs increased their market share despite the downward trend in music purchasing.

3. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

Keep in mind that the DVD-A just came out. I think the vinyl came out on street date with the CD.

4. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I don't know how soundscan works, but would internet saled be included in their numbers? A lot of the DVD-A discs were sold on Music Direct, Red Trumpet, Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, etc. If these places are not included in Soundscan numbers, the actual number of DVD-A discs would probably be a good amount higher than the 636 it mentions sold.

5. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Re: Last Rites and Prediction

I don't think he'll even bother with this sonic mess. Playing it on a turntable will still not make it sound like music.

And most of those LP's were snatched up by "collectors" who will hang onto them for a while then hold 'em for ransom.

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Make that 1,436 LPs. I bought my copy at a store that is not part of the SoundScan system. Based on my experiences with the stores that sell new vinyl, a relatively small percentage are on the SoundScan system.

Any store that doesn't use a scanner when you check out is not part of SoundScan. Those sales are not recorded by this system. (The Exclusive Co., a Wisconsin chain that is still seriously into vinyl, is not SoundScan, for example.) Most stores that use a scanner, are SoundScan outlets.

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Re: Last Rites and Prediction

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Re: Re: Last Rites and Prediction

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

PLEASE take this to the Audio Asylum high rez board. One of the pleasures of this board is that you don't have to endure the juvenile parrying of morons arguing whose subwoofer is bigger.
    Here's the deal: some SACDs are great, some suck;
    some DVD-As are great, some suck.
    Take it outside.

10. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Friends,

DVD-A v. SACD - this new "turf war" appears to have taken the place of the old Vinyl v. CD battles of the past. This is interesting, in that, some of the same Members are participating on this new front....

Let's avoid this needless battle!

Thanks!

Bob:)

11. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

12. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Well said. Enough said.

Thank you, Bill

Bill :)

13. EQlibrium

EQlibrium New Member

Cartridge

Remember when you were listening to your 8 track cartridge and the song faded away in the middle and then came back on the next track? Thank god for all evolving formats. Just a comment, no need to reply.

14. it's not closing in on 80 million ?:laugh:

Elvis#1 is available thru BMG club now.:cool:

15. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

The thing surprises me a bit about those numbers is how dead cassette is. I knew it was a tiny piece of the market, but I didn't know it had fallen that far.

Ryan

16. GabeG

GabeG New Member

AGREED!!

Having recently vistited over there, all I can say is that stupidity abounds. It's hard to believe the assumptions and crazy conclusions some of these guys come to based on little or no information. And then there's the name calling...

Both formats can be great and if anyone actually knows which one is the winner either sonically or financially, I have yet to meet them.

- Gabe

17. Roland Stone

Re: Re: Last Rites and Prediction

So The Beatles appearing on DVD-A is firm? I have a couple friends who aren't buying hi-rez equipment until they see The Beatles.

I haven't bought any hi-rez, either, except for the dual-layer Rolling Stones remasters. If I root for SACD, it's because the dual-layer discs can be played in my car, on the CD player at work, on my computer and bedside radio, and of course the eventual hi-rez gear at home. I'm not buying software that's only compatible with some of these disc players. If they get DVD-A on to a dual-layer disc, great, I'm all for it.

Presumably both hi-rez formats are capable of great sound, and both are playable on universal hi-rez equipment anyway. The deciding point for me is which format can offer a universal carrier. Until DVD-A comes with a redbook layer, I'm not buying any.

18. Roland Stone

I'm amazed BMG even pressed any cassettes. Where are they sold? I'm also amazed they outsold LPs 20-1, even considering the insignificant numbers of either. Or was the LP a late release like the DVD-A?

19. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Why can't we all just get along!! ;)

Frankly, I think that the Record Companies will probably use both formats to sell the same thing more than once to the same people. It's all about money.... :sigh:

20. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

While I agree this may be a possibility, I would tend to think that one format will win out over another. And frankly, I have no idea which it will be.

We had this in the early 80's with vinyl vs. CD then DCC vs. CD and Cassette. (DCC = Digital Compact Cassette should anybody not remember its short life) DAT tried to get in the game as well, but was relegated to professional use. mini-disc, well, sill around, but on life support.

Just my opinion, but "There can be only one" :)

i need to hook up my old DCC player tomorrow. Haven't listed to any of my DCC tapes in 2 or three years.

ahhh the memories...

21. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

On elvis.com there is a story about 4 albums being done in DSD. So that would most likely mean they will be released on SACD.

Please point me to the official announcement for the Beatles on DVD-A. When you can give me this announcement then I'll believe the Beatles are coming to DVD-A.

Looks a lot like the DSOTM rumors about DVD-A. All seem to be based on Alan Parson, but even he says he does not know on which format it will be released.

22. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

He is correct about the DSD announcement.

Read it here...

Should be interesting.

23. According to DVD Empire, the Elvis DVD-A is their #1 current top seller in DVDs-A.

24. Re: Re: Re: Last Rites and Prediction

According to QuadraphonicQuad (http://pub9.ezboard.com/bquadraphonicquad) there are currently 396 DVDs-A in release worldwide. So yes, there are more SACDs available, but by not that great a distance. Vive la difference!

25. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

Almost three times as much is a lot more. If you take the fact into consideration DVD-A does not need special production lines and SACD does. This means that the more SACD lines get online the more distance SACD will probably take.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Anti DVD-A, it's just there is no reason to get on the DVD-A train. To little software, no decent support from any other label than Warner and Silverline? The latter being responsible for nothing but bad releases.

As soon as Mickey can give me the official announcement on the Beatles on DVD-A and not on SACD than I will consider buying DVD-A. In the mean time Warner isn't releasing the stuff I would like to see, so until they do it's not very likely I will be convinced to buy a DVD-A player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.