Elvis at the International Hotel Las Vegas 1969 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by emjel, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I wasn't but I'll remember that nugget for if ever I'm involved in a pop quiz. I wonder who was on the other end of the straw?
    Oh well, there ya go. That Stevie, eh? Always up for a bit of @rsing about... :nyah:

ZoSoUK and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I’m still looking for a copy sub-$90. :(

May not happen...

3. I don't think the major labels are overproducing these type of box sets anymore. Fewer retail outlets to even stock it in the first place, so less pressure to cut pricing.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Short answer, no.

:p

NumberEight and RSteven like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Just checked HD Tracks UK. They now have the live 69 box as a download.

44. 1/24 flac £127 (cd quality).

192/24 flac £170

Way too much for myself to contemplate. I shall stick to the cd box.

RSteven likes this.
  6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Maybe hold on until black friday

7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Just to remind fans, '75 wasn't ALL bad,
    here's a great performance from that year
    (song starts after :30 sec. video intro)

Elvis Presley,
    "Just Pretend" Live in '75

Brian Mc, RSteven, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Amz has a copy listed for $76 that was probably rejected by another buyer, may be worth risking the cosmetic damage for the price point.

Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired. Large cosmetic damage on boxed set case. Item may come repackaged.

9. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Normally I would. I have had great luck that way. However, this is listed as acceptable. That’s a big red flag for me. But thank you so much.

10. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

rkt 88- his comment wasnt very fair at all ! 75 was NOT a bad year, only during the last vegas engagement ! its those kinda blanket statements that seriously damage his reputation-

after his detox he sounded fantastic in march - stronger with more depth, range & pitch than he had in a couple of years , certainly Aloha and stronger than he sounded in the STUDIO in 71 and march 72 !

his may shows we're pretty respectable too ! have a listen to "dixieland Rocks" Ftd !

for some reason,, well its not 'some' he was back on the amphetamines for the june tour & whilst its acceptable none of those june shows are much more than bog standard but still a huge step from what was to come in just a mere 12 months !

Now his July tour was very impressive and the highlight of the year - the shows from asheville show a fully engaged, not over drugged guy enjoying his show & best of all throwing in some amazing songs !

Return to sender was certainly the best live performance ever !
    "something" is closer to his 1970 versions & buries the very poor aloha version

a lovely rendition of "youll never walk alone" at the piano !
    rare but very committed performances of " shake a hand " (which worked perfect live & should have stayed) and "pieces of my life " - which again should have stayed !! and he'd clearly rehearsed these as he was on the money with the lyrics - something you could never bank on !
    i would love this show in multi-track quality !

that july tour was awesome & ashville in particular bought forth a great performer !!!! the change in just 12 months was astounding , if not infact heart breaking !!!

credit where credit is due fellas

Brian Mc, Richard--W, downer and 4 others like this.
  11. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I need some help from the group. My dad has a birthday coming up and I'd like to make him a 2cd comp of this boxset downloading one version of each song performed during the residency off iTunes. He honestly would be overwhelmed by a big box and doesn't care to have 11 live versions of Hound Dog or other repeats. He also isn't an audiophile! :)

Which performances of each song would you recommend?

13. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Sorry to be not much but help but honestly, just buy him the 'On Stage' Legacy Edition. It comes with the 'In Person' album as a bonus. Felton Jarvis, in my humble, picked the best from those live recordings for that LP.
    If you mean alternates not on that album, that's a tough call. One I would be hardpressed to choose...

14. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

They were scene-specific written songs for movies- just that and nothing more. Even the Beatles had kids songs in their movies like All Together Now or Yellow Submarine (and the instrumental "Flying" from the Magical Mystery Tour tv special wasn't exactly a masterpiece,too in my opinion).

RSteven likes this.
  15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

As an alternative I'd recommend getting him the Elvis In Person FTD 2CD set, it includes the original album, bonus special performances plus a full show on disc2:

Elvis In Person FTD CD | Shop the ShopElvis.com Official Store

ZoSoUK, PacificOceanBlue and JeffMo like this.
  16. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

17. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I’ve been loving this set since I bought it a few months ago. My only issue is that there doesn’t seem to be a version of Memories where he isn’t smooching ladies. Kind of breaks the mood of an impressive arrangement.

NumberEight likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Interesting perspective because I never really was taken by the 1969 arrangement of Memories, which turns it into a semi-monotone affair where Elvis deviates from any sort of emotive delivery. Not surprising it became quasi-background music for kissing women in the audience.

19. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Sam Phillips told Elvis to drop "Memories" from the set list after the first show he attended.

MerseyBeatle, BeatleJWOL and pobbard like this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Sam, as usual, had impeccable taste. Always hated that song since the first time I saw the '68 special. "Love Me Tender" worked better for Elvis wading into the crowd, anyway.

Nosferatuz and artfromtex like this.
  21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

A positive and appreciative mind.

March, May and July 1975 shows. Thanks for the breakdown.
    Any CD titles you recommend they appear on?
    I assume they're all on FTD cd's.

RSteven likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

According to whom? Not according to Stevie Nicks. You probably believe Mama Cass choked on a ham sandwich also.

carry on..

23. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

He was right - my least favorite song in these 1969 sets, by far.

artfromtex likes this.
  24. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I was actually quite taken by "Memories" on this set. It's one of the (many) tracks -- with these fresh mixes -- that had me nodding in agreement. While overall, it's probably a dated song or something, I still actually really like the song in Elvis' hands. It has some extremely nice moments to it -- moments which rank among the pinnacle of Elvis' most moving power-ballads for me. There's something about that I find so poignant and honestly interpreted by Elvis.

In a way, I'm glad it was dropped, since '69 Elvis lends so much authenticity to a track like this (and If I Can Dream, etc) -- whereas, a half-arsed mid-70s Elvis may have just turned it into something.... far less, I'll say.

Herman Schultz, Jimijam and RSteven like this.
  25. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

A few months on, I'm still enjoying the Live 1969 mixes, but the album I'm returning to from this period remains In Person (FTD). Not actually disc 2 (which is a perfectly pleasant listen, if somewhat polite-sounding, lacking in perceived sense of musical horsepower), but the original In Person album on disc 1.

It captures a lively and spacious sound, and (with some added hall reverb and a seriously cranked-up bass guitar) sounds more cohesive and artful than later attempts at emulating this "vintage" mixing style.

Now, it's not a perfect representation of the shows (I don't think any of the releases I've heard from Vegas 1969 are perfect; in fact some of the most fun mixes are the least perfect), but there's little to complain about, and overall it hits the spot.

Whereas Live 1969 is an enjoyable collection that does an entertaining job of presenting the shows more aggressively, with a sense of amplified slam. Like so many modern mixes, the mixes lack a touch of low-end weight and sense of warmth and mystery: especially compared to the bass-propelled In Person. But the only real annoyance throughout remains the added vocal echo, something your average listener may not even notice, but also something that changes the fundamental character of the vocal in a way that sounds both dated and subtly artificial. An attempt to bring the trademark Sun Studio sound to live recordings from a different era, and I think unconvincingly.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.