Elvis Costello & The Imposters new album: The Boy Named If

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Oct 27, 2021.

1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I've noticed that he has a tendency to sing that way in recent performances of his older material. My gut instinct is that he's sick of these songs and he's trying to keep them fresh, at least for himself if not everyone else. But, then, he also did the same thing with a few Look Now tracks when I saw him in 2018, so who knows?

poidog and John Hatter like this.
  2. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

For me, right album but different track…the moment it starts, I think: “I’m the Town Cry—“

Er.

But I do like the sound of it.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

A friend of mine and fellow EC fan really liked this one...
    I like the toe-tapping tempo, the swirling offbeat sound of it all, and the first bridge.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Noticed him doing this on Pump It Up and Big Tears for sure during the show I saw in November 2021. Big Tears was especially jarring, didn’t mind it so much on Pump It Up, but he definitely seems to be doing it on the same songs so I assume it to be intentional for sure.

5. dee

dee Senior Member

A nice lyric and melody. I'm not that fond of when things seem to get expressed almost too 'preciously' and the song isn't just vocalized a little more naturally or with a little less 'drama'? I heard more Boy With A Problem or Kid About It for the bridge...in this song it seemed to me a bit of an awkward or long transition, on a first listen. The recurring chorus line is a winner and the song asks for or suggests more listens, from me fwiw. Reminds me some of his My Three Sons song which I quite like. Fwiw I don't care for this one as much, on second listen. Tempo seems drawn out too much and bridge too long, for my taste.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Michael Macrone likes this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

Like this one. Bouncy, edgy, with a sense of whimsy.
    Less than 48 hours till release day.
    Goodbye, so long...;)

Michael Macrone and agentalbert like this.
  7. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I must check this out. I like the premise.

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Absolutely freaking killer. Best EC album opener since "Uncomplicated."

The album as a whole is equal parts Brutal Youth, Blood & Chocolate and Look Now. The kind of album he hasn't made in a long while.

9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Agreed, and he sounded really energized playing it live on this last tour as well. Good to see and hear!

bRETT likes this.
  10. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I don't know if this has been noted yet, but as usual with EC, the Japanese CD has a bonus track ("Truth Drug")

Isitquiex, hutlock and omikron like this.
  11. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

And shame on me for not thinking to check on this before pre-ordering stateside.

12. Summer of Malcontent

I have made this mistake so many times with various artists (and especially Costello, Eno & Low) that I have learned never to pull the trigger until I know for sure what's happening in Japan!

omikron likes this.
  13. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

If the past 20+ years is any indication I'm gonna assume it's ear-bleedingly loud and compressed.

I love Elvis, but hate whoever masters his discs (though I assume the direction to do so comes from E himself).

stereoptic and csnfan like this.
  14. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

I'm assuming it's a cover of this "Truth Drug"?

hutlock and dee like this.
  15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yep, he’s been playing it live.

hutlock, Michael Macrone and dee like this.
  16. dee

dee Senior Member

I would love to get the book with cd but for now will have to settle just for a cd.

Maybe get the vinyl down the road at a more friendly price if I really like the new album.

Perhaps there is a download that includes the track on the cd from Japan?

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Nick actually says (in the Wilderness Years notes) that this was a crap song. I always disagreed, and I guess Elvis did too.

intv7 and Michael Macrone like this.
  18. Summer of Malcontent

As I recall, the Japanese bonus track from the last album turned up as a digital b-side on iTunes in other parts of the world.

dee likes this.
  19. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Heard this today and it’s great. For fans of a more rock oriented EC. I definitely prefer it to his last two records, although I do have an affinity for Hey Clockface. He’s been on quite a roll these last few years!

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Heard this twice to be sure but **** this is a really good album. Really, really good, like best since (and likely on par with) Blood & Chocolate. Even When I Was Cruel had some duff tracks weighing it down but not here. It looks like more press are paying attention to this than Hey Clockface too. Even Jon Pareles of the NY Times wrote a full review praising this: Elvis Costello & the Imposters Are Still Blasting Away

In retrospect, Hey Clockface was a good step in the right direction - a couple of bum tracks, but the rocking tracks were excellent and the slow ones fairly good for what they were. I thought it worked well if you took out the two worst cuts which left it as one side of mainly rock and one side of mainly ballads, but all of the new album is mainly rock of even higher caliber.

21. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Every track I've heard so far sounds great. Lots of Nieve quirk as well.

ericthegardener and csnfan like this.
  22. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

T
    This is easily addressed - although not completely solved - in the era of AI demixing software -

1) Google X-minus and use it to download a split of each track into vocals and backing track
    2) load each set of tracks into audacity
    3) cut the instrumental track by 10; cut the vocals by 3
    4) extract the new track

The instruments remain compressed, but the vocals are higher relative to the instruments and so melody now outweighs rhythm/drums.

Sorry Pete, but you are back at your "Blood and Chocolate" level now;-)

If you do this, it sounds very much like 1978-1986 Elvis...

23. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

I preordered the indie purple vinyl from Bull Moose. I've just noticed that while the black vinyl is out tomorrow, the indie version isn't out till Feb 4!

Wonder why. Oh well.

Alien Ache likes this.
  24. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Yeah, I preordered the purple from Bull Moose as well and was deflated when I realized I wouldn’t get my hands on it until next month! I don’t think this was the case when I first placed my order so I suspect it’s due to supply chain issues/vinyl manufacturing delays. I guess Tidal will suffice until the 4th…

MoonPanda likes this.
  25. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

It's great to have Elvis back, using the cover to launch another bold assault on color theory.

Mr. Explorer, Thesmellofvinyl and dee like this.