Elvis Presley - American Sound 1969, Digital Release (plus upcoming FTD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew, Aug 23, 2019.

1. And the same theme was already done on FTD:

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Sounds good to me. I've got Memphis Sessions so I'll have a matching sampler to the full set :D

Better than Bram Stoker's Elvis!

3. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

My "American Sound '69" is on its way from 'The Elvis Shop London'!!
    Should be here tomorrow or the day after, but I'm in work for the next five days so I'll miss the post and probably end up picking it up next Wednesday. Sigh... :sigh:

4. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

American Sound '69 5 CD - FTD 165 - set ordered (from The Elvis Shop London too) ! :)

BeatleJWOL and When In Rome like this.
  5. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

My copy was shipped from The Elvis Shop London last week. No idea when it'll arrive but I'm really looking forward to this one.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

This looks solid for me, I prefer the stripped down takes from the FTD’s. What have the previous Elvis RSD’s been priced at? If I recall , the last few have had plenty of copies in the wild to grab after Black Friday

7. I already have the 3 FTDs that cover this period. Why would I need to buy the 5CD set now?

CBackley likes this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

You probably don't. There's only about 5 new tracks.

9. When In Rome

Different cover.
    Handful of unreleased outtakes.
    Chronological track sequencing.
    All in one place.
    Erm, that's it.

Reason enough for this particular sucker. :D

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The FTD cds are out (the new 5 cd set) but I have not yet seen the Sony download version on any official site.

11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I received my copy of American Sound 1969 today. A nice package. Ripped the discs so that I can listen to them while I’m at work tomorrow.

JimmyCool likes this.
  12. guidedbyvoices

I made a playlist of these tracks from apple music, its been a while since I played the full FTDs. Only a few quibbles with this as a "best of" on 2LP.

I would've preferred Loved On Look take 3/10, I love that quick breakdown and laughter and "can I get a pick up" line, the quick "little less conversation" line.
    Suspicious Minds - would've preferred an alternate take 6 or 7 instead of the undubbed master.

And I would've loved if they could've squeezed in Don't Cry Daddy, Rubberneckin, Mama Liked the Roses. It feels weird to have a compilation of best alternates from the sessions but leave off a big single and 2 solid B sides.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. When In Rome

Flaming Torch likes this.
  14. guidedbyvoices

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Looks like a cool release. Where is the cheapest I can get this (for the physical set)?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  16. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member Thread Starter

Am I seeing things? Vocal Overdub 2 of Inherit The Wind appears to be missing from the new set, but is included on the Back In Memphis FTD?

Shawn and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  17. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Your eyes do not deceive you. There are a couple other undubbed masters missing too. It’s weird.

Shawn likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Well, it was determined early on this new set was not “complete,” correct? Sony/FTD took shortcuts on this one.

Shawn likes this.
  19. Matthew

Besides instrumental tracks, what other "non-finished masters/outtakes" are missing from the box-set, that appear on one of the three FTD Classic Album titles?

20. Matthew

Right, but I believe that was more from the point of view of material that still remains unreleased, rather than content from the previous FTDs (besides instrumental tracks and finished masters).

21. PacificOceanBlue

As always, hold on to your classic album series releases fellow FTD enthusiasts!

22. When In Rome

There's the 'Any Day Now' undubbed master with repaired vocal that's missing...

Matthew likes this.
  23. Matthew

Took a stab at this, let me know if I missed anything (beyond obviously the finished masters):

Missing from From Elvis In Memphis FTD Classic Album:
    + It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin' (undubbed master)
    + Any Day Now (undubbed master with vocal repair)

Missing from Back In Memphis FTD Classic Album:
    + Inherit The Wind (take 4/M with vocal overdub #20
    + A Little Bit Of Green (take 3/M with vocal overdub)

Missing from At American Sound FTD Classic Album:
    + Memory Revival (instrumental)
    + Come Out, Come Out (instrumental)
    + Poor Man's Gold (take 12/M with abandoned vocal overdub) - unedited track

24. Matthew

So I picked up the FTD, mostly out of curiosity on how these session sets are being produced. Probably not keeping it and my hunch is, despite the controversy around it, that this one's going to sell-out quickly.

I was curious how these sets are put together compared to the mainstream titles like Live 1969 and Prince From Another Planet etc.

My overall vibe on this particular release is that it has an unfortunate home-made thing going on with it, from the bland cover art to the rather disappointing booklet. I'm going to nit-pick this one:

+ The cover art reeks of a rush job, which is a shame; just look at the new Memphis, Tennessee vinyl for example, beautiful. But the American Sound 1969 cover looks dead-cheap. A couple of observations:

1) The image of Elvis on bass is digitally edited, in the original photo Chips is standing next to him. Chips' shoulder has been removed and the red background filled in. The original photo appears in the booklet.
    2) The "torn-photo" edges are the same for both photos on the cover, despite the digital "worn-paper" texture being different for both. They really look like digital cut-outs with the photos pasted on top. Very home-made.

I'm going to go against the crowd and say that the original cover for the digital release is better, despite Elvis' expression.

+ The booklet offers very little in the way of session commentary; virtually nothing. A lot of the 28 pages are taken up with track-listings and first release information.

I know this is a FTD release but it doesn't even include anything like the Behind the Scenes text from the Classic Albums. This would never be if this was a Sony mainstream release alongside Live 1969. I get it, we're the fans and "know this stuff already", but that shouldn't matter. Heck, they could have pulled the essay from 1999's Suspicious Minds - A Memphis Anthology and put it in here, which was really great. But, there is this under the Musicians listing:

"In principle, there were never producers credited on Elvis Presley sessions. At the sessions, Moman and Jarvis took turns both at the original tracking sessions and the overdubs. The basic sound came from Chips Moman's studio band and general engineering, whereas the final records were controlled by Felton Jarvis and Elvis Presley."

Ugh, okay? Of all things to spend a little time on, this nonsense is it? It just adds to the fan-made feel of the presentation. Moving on...

+ The discs load differently on this one, they're not in side slots like Live 1969 but front slots instead. A little easier to remove but not really a great improvement over the other method as far as protecting the CDs. Might as well have left it the old-way and not obscured the artwork behind them.

+ Here's a real nit-picky one! The sleeve and disc fold-out have a glossy texture rather than the matte texture the Sony releases have; the matte finish on the Sony titles look and feel more... professional? Elegant? I dunno.

So there you have it, my completely positive assessment of the physical release! ;)

25. PacificOceanBlue

Yeah, anyone familiar with Jarvis/American Sound revisionist narrative over the past several years on Elvis forums knows where the premise of such a statement originated from. And even Ernst knows Moman and Jarvis did not "take turns" at the tracking session in the traditional sense, rather Jarvis mostly took a backseat, with documented involvement during Power of My Love. The statement is intentionally misleading.

And yes, the new cover is amateurish.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019