Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I had a bit of brain fart and there are about twenty on the way ... I was nervous about deletions :hide:
    That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

RSteven and Mr. H like this.
  2. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

:yikes:

What is on the way?

The 15% off sale at Shop Graceland does not include FTDs. I don’t think it ever does, sadly.

3. mark winstanley

about five live albums
    all the golden record double discs
    all the studio albums up to pot luck
    the two gi blues sets
    Loving you, King Creole ... idk
    I'm scaring myself just thinking about it lol

4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

You’ve got some great, prime stuff on the way!

RSteven, hodgo and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

That is consistently frustrating, plus shopelvis.com. I'm regularly getting these "site-wide" discount emails only to learn they never include FTD media.

Though, a couple of weeks back the "Buy any FTD get 20% off the rest off your order" seemed to have a glitch right after it was announced. I loaded up the cart with some FTD product and found they were discounted. Added a few more and they weren't, so quickly hit BUY on the items that were and got the discount. Went back later and they seemed to have fixed it (d'oh).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Wow, saw that sale. Glad it worked out for you.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Just good timing. I happened to be logged into my email account when the blast came through.

Since they never list the exclusions in the email I immediately clicked the link and did my usual thing, add a couple of FTDs to the cart and see if a discount gets applied.

In this case it did, but not for long. Got a book, classic album, and a vinyl release on discount but other items I continued to add didn't show a discount so figured it must've been a glitch of some sort.

Didn't wait around to find out, paid up and got the stuff!

Mr. H and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

That’s the way to do it! Discounts sure make those books hurt less!

I’ve only bought one book new at retail so far, Rock Around The Bloch. The other few I managed to score cheaper second hand.

Matthew likes this.
  9. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I'd be more than happy with a FTD release that used the PFAP mix without the brickwalled mastering. I never liked the MSG concerts until I heard the PFAP mixes. Making the remixes more listenable would make the $30 purchase a no-brainer for me.

MarkusGermany and BlueSpeedway like this.
  10. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I'm amazed some of the earlier books are still around, like Flashback.

PacificOceanBlue and Mr. H like this.
  11. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Sadly I don't think the compression is in the mastering, but rather in the mixing - staple of the engineer who did the mixes.

When this came out I did a short volume matched comparison between Price From Another Planet and the Legacy Edition of the 1972 album mix.

Album mix didn't sound half bad!

Prince - MSG Polk Salad Compare

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

To this fan, 1969 and 197o represent Peak Elvis, but, out of the rest of his live career, the Prince From Another Planet mix of the Madison Square Garden afternoon show is the single best Elvis concert I’ve heard. He and the TCB band clearly rise to the occasion and give 100% effort to the contemporary material, and Elvis gives way more effort than normal to the obligatory 50s songs. I also like the PFAP mix and am not really bothered by the mastering.

13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Have you heard the Legacy Edition? It's the original mix but a lot of folks feel like it's been greatly improved by the mastering.

Nice to have both anyway, if you don't mind that kind of thing. Personally I enjoy different impressions on recordings I like. Takes the sting out of the loudness, too, having an alternate version to listen to.

14. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Got a new batch of FTD's in, and really enjoying them. Interesting to hear the progression of the songs, and why oh why did they speed up Girl Happy!?

15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Nice selection. I don’t have Girl Happy and King Creole won’t be here for a couple more days, but the others are all top notch, for sure.

16. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

The King Creole set is great. Really love hearing the outtakes, and banter. The demos are fun too.

RSteven and Mr. H like this.
  17. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I bought it when it came out, and I have to confess, it doesn't sound any better to my ears, given how flat the original mix was.

MRamble likes this.
  18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Gotcha. It is indeed disappointing how crushed PFAP is.

19. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Really looking forward to it! The demos are a big draw here, too. I really enjoy the disc in Writing For The King. It adds something to be able to hear these songs before they made it to Elvis, and of course this is already a great album.

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

When I bought my first FTDs I thought I only wanted the American Sound releases. Then I thought I would splurge for the Jungle Room albums (personal favorites). I thought the sessions would be interesting at best, but now I find myself listening to the sessions on all the classic albums series I have and there just as great for me as what’s on the albums a lot of the time. Without a doubt this is my favorite reissue campaign.

Pants Party, RSteven, mgb70 and 2 others like this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is a neat project, and the CD is a fantastic 50’s era compilation.

Mr. H likes this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

They are all excellent and will always be desirable products. I doubt they will ever be reprinted although hopefully some of the bonus material will survive and go into other formats like hi res for the future. I have quite a bit of Elvis product - books, records, bootlegs, all from when I started in the 70s along with some nice genuine 50s and 60s records. Along with the later the FTDs are likely to remain in my possession until I shuffle off upstairs.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

I have that 2cd MSG coming today, is that the one that's messed up or whatever folks are saying?

24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The one folks have been complaining about is the Prince From Another Planet set released around the same time as the Legacy Edition.

25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

If it's the Legacy Edition you have coming to you then fear not, it's the original mix which has been given superb mastering treatment and sounds glorious.

Prince on the other hand has a good mix but has been made unlistenable because of the brickwalled mastering job they have given it.