Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

I know it's not an FTD but I'm just playing one of my RSD purchases now and thought you guys might be interested....

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

My copy's on its way. The unboxing video looked great and reviews of the concert have been positive.

RSteven and hodgo like this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Excellent sound on this LP. The guitars really are well recorded as well as the vocals. Maybe too much talk in between songs but a really nice job otherwise.

Is this performance on any of the FTD CD releases?

RSteven and hodgo like this.
  4. hodgo

As far as I'm aware this is a previously unreleased show and it's a killer performance.

Dave Hoos, Brian Mc, teag and 2 others like this.
  5. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Certainly the vinyl release of Hot August Night has climbed in value, and that one's available on CD too. So I'd guess you wouldn't be throwing your money away on this. I don't know what the pressing run was for each of those 2 was though.

6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I wouldn’t buy this LP as an investment. I just want to hear the music, and the CD set will suffice for me in that regard.

JAuz, hodgo and RSteven like this.
  7. hodgo

Couldn't agree more! I don't buy anything other than to listen to and enjoy. For example, I have a first press, "In The Court of The Crimson King" by King Crimson in pristine condition that I've had around 35 years, it's now apparently worth a lot of money, people say to me, "You don't still play it do you?"... Of course I bloody do it's the best sounding version ever put out, why wouldn't I still play it?

Mr. H, johnny q, GillyT and 4 others like this.
  8. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Not completely unreleased... well, in a way.

The "well, well, well" routine that is edited before My Babe on the In Person LP comes from this show.

That's the only familiar piece I noticed.

9. moops

moops Senior Member

Missing booklet update ......
    A second " customer service " rep at shopelvis/musictoday has replied to me after I suggested they were misinformed about the availibility of the booklet. She said there is a special edition available of that title, but that's not the edition they carry ?

And so it continues ...... :realmad:

10. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Send it back and demand a refund and buy it from somewhere else. Not good enough.

hodgo, moops and mark winstanley like this.
  11. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It appears another set of 1975 soundboards is next up for FTD:

[​IMG]

Disc 1
    01 Talk 1:05
    02 Love Me 2:45
    03 If You Love Me (Let Me Know) 2:56
    04 You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me 2:05
    05 Big Boss Man 2:52
    06 It’s Midnight 3:09
    07 Promised Land 2:52
    08 Fairytale 3:23
    09 Burning Love 3:11
    10 Introductions including: 7:06
    (a) What’d I say
    (b) School Days
    11 My Boy 4:18
    12 T-R-O-U-B-L-E 3:40
    13 I’ll Remember You 2:32
    14 Let Me Be There 3:28
    15 American Trilogy 4:28
    16 Can’t Help Falling In Love 1:42
    17 Closing Vamp 1:39
    Disc 1 recorded at Coliseum, Macon, Georgia April 24, 1975

Disc 2
    01 Talk 0:42
    02 Love Me 2:20
    03 If You Love Me (Let Me Know) 2:58
    04 Love Me Tender 1:55
    05 (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don’t Be Cruel 2:40
    06 Help Me 2:36
    07 Burning Love 3:11
    08 Introductions including: 9:18
    (a) Johnny B. Goode
    (b) School Days
    09 My Boy 4:12
    10 T-R-O-U-B-L-E 3:50
    11 Why Me Lord 3:02
    12 Let Me Be There 4:19
    13 Hawaiian Wedding Song 2:33
    14 Hound Dog 1:46
    15 American Trilogy 4:42
    16 Can’t Help Falling In Love 1:42
    17 Closing Vamp 1:31
    Disc 2 recorded at Civic Center Arena, Lakeland, Florida Afternoon show, April 27, 1975

Wish I could say I was more excited about these shows. The second one appears to be previously unreleased, but I don't expect many revelations.

When In Rome likes this.
  12. hodgo

I agree with Dave 100%! they are just fobbing you off with false information. You gave them another chance to do the right thing anf they failed miserably so send it back for a refund.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I bought that for the cover alone. That it's killer sound quality and a great show is a bonus.

14. hodgo

Fabulous all round isn't it? great sound, fabulous performance, awesome cover shot and flawless vinyl, what more could we ask for.

15. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I bought this too, same as the Showroom Internationale RSD 2014, it's complimentary to the box as far as I'm concerned, beautiful package and like all my records and CDs they ain't bought for resale as I very rarely flog anything, I certainly wouldn't flip an RSD, that's a 'no no'.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Is there a sticker on it advertising a 1969 concerts box set to come?

RSteven likes this.
  17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Not particularly exciting, is it? I think that we can expect more '75-'76 soundboards as FTD continues its extended wind-down, however.

MRamble likes this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah. One cannot help but be lulled to sleep by the "sameness" of these SB releases. However, I hold out some hope for this one, as highlights can indeed be found in the March and April '75 shows. As Spring transitioned to summer, things got decidedly more perfunctory. Performance aside - I just hope this one doesn't have any technical issues (e.g. speed/pitch) like some SB releases have been plagued by.

RSteven and Spencer R like this.
  19. hodgo

Yes, it states that the concert is from the forthcoming "Live 1969" box set.

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My personal rule of thumb has become that I buy only soundboards from 1969 through the August/September 1974 Las Vegas season, but I might make an exception for this one. The sequence of Big Boss Man / It’s Midnight / Promised Land / Fairytale / Burning Love on disc one piques my interest.

RSteven, johnny q and Shawn like this.
  21. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

It's a bit bittersweet for me, these new releases simply do not interest me but I would rather they are still around than the idea of no more FTD. But it'll have to come to a close sooner or later.

When In Rome and Pants Party like this.
  22. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

You can hear the recording of those songs here, if you'd like a sneak peek:

I don't know if the FTD will improve upon the sound, but I expect it will be pretty similar as the source tape is probably the same.

RSteven, Spencer R and Pants Party like this.
  23. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

For a split second I thought "Talk" was a new song. Like the song "Words." That was the melody that popped into my head for a second.

On the plus side, the set lists don't look too bad and I always enjoy the lopped off intro to break up the sameness. In all, I'll just add this to my ever growing list of soundboards that I may one day catch up on if I get a couple hundred bux to burn.

I'll say it again, if these were $14.99, I'd be getting every last one of them. But at $30... I've got plenty as is.

DirkM, MRamble, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, there isn't much to be excited about. Some collectors like having unreleased shows to fill gaps in their collections, but concerts from this period are really quite mediocre. And you are correct, the likelihood of "revelations" is almost zero. Frankly, I do not think Ernst puts much emphasis on these mid-70's soundboard releases -- he allegedly relies on one or two "soundboard consultants" to provide him ideas, presumably ideas that represent what a faction of soundboard collectors would like to see issued.

On one hand, I see what FTD is doing with these soundboard releases because they have the tapes and there is a faction of fans that want these releases, but on the other hand, most of these soundboard releases do not particularly represent Elvis very well.

MRamble and Dave Hoos like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You make me a very happy man. Thanks, Graham.

hodgo likes this.