Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

So, one question regarding some of the FTD releases which I could answer myself, but don't have the releases in front of me; let's take the Elvis Is Back! Sessions. Did the same person do the mastering for the Legacy Edition and the FTD releases? I have both versions, and the benefit of the FTD release is obviously the extended liner notes and outtakes.

2. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Most of the Sony releases were mastered by Vic Anesini although Kevan Budd mastered some titles back in 2005.
    Most of the FTDs from the last 15 years were mastered by Sebastian Jeansson.

3. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

So, is the redundancy with a release like the one I mentioned?

Some have said that the Legacy releases may be more compressed. The FTD release of Elvis Is Back! seems to have more separation between instruments.

4. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Sebastian Jeansson mastered the Elvis is Back! FTD 2-CD set and the 4-CD Elvis is Back! Sessions.

Vic Anesini mastered the 2-CD Legacy Edition.

RSteven, Shawn, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Probably best to keep all 3! I have EIB DCC from the late 90s on cd and vinyl and really should get to the cupboard and give them a play. I am no expert but I guess Elvis Is Back is a well recorded album which really always should sound good.

RSteven, Vintage1976, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  6. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Yes, I just ripped the 4 disc FTD and the sound is marvelous. A noticeable difference from the Legacy release. Not saying one is better than the other, but the FTD really sparkles.

In the past week I picked up;

• How Great Thou Art (FTD)
    • The Elvis Is Back! Sessions (FTD 4 disc)
    • The Something For Everybody Sessions (FTD 4 disc)
    These are are wonderful recordings.

7. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Also as a follow up post, I'm actually fairly surprised at the leeway Elvis and Camp were given to record so many takes at RCA Studio B. Most Country artists on RCA and sub labels that recorded there had maybe a handful of takes. I'm assuming Col. Parker paid a premium to have Studio B for as long as they need.

Seeing 19 takes for a song is surprising to me for Studio B. But, I understand the context of why with Elvis.

8. As long as you pay the bill, you can do as many takes as you like.

9. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

i think rca was happy to cover the studio time!

smitquest

10. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

My Something For Everybody Sessions set finally arrived today, having been sent 26th Nov (postal strikes).

Happy New Year, fellow FTD aficionados!

11. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

For the first time in a long time I splurged on some soundboard releases, including my first 1976 soundboard since Rockin' Across Texas in 2005 (yes, I even skipped "Showtime!" from 2010, feeling New Year's Eve was enough for my collection and that period).

Things aligned that From Vegas To Tahoe, Las Vegas '71, and From Louisiana And Memphis were all in stock at Graceland, so saving on shipping ordered them up together.

The first two predominantly for the rarity of concert material from 1973 and 1971, where Elvis is in significantly better form than later years. The latter purchased purely for the Memphis show. There's something about Elvis performing for his home town audience that tends to draw something more out of him, and in the year of 1976 that is really needed.

Receiving these release made me a little nostalgic for the earlier years of FTD, I hadn't felt that way in a long time.

12. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Please let us know what you think of the discs.

D-rock likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Funny, I forgot about the new 1976 Memphis release — I just placed an order for a couple of new FTD titles, and probably would have added that to the mix had I remembered it! With respect to the early years, I agree, sometimes it is nice to reminisce about how special FTD was at one time.

14. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

It’s less expensive from the Graceland store than Shop Elvis for what it’s worth.

D-rock, Vintage1976 and artfromtex like this.
  15. Elwood B.

Elwood B. Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the Louisiana/Memphis 4 cd set. Besides the well-known Memphis show, the two new unreleased soundboards are in superb sound. As Presley, considering it’s 1976, he delivers a pretty good performance on both shows.

Vintage1976, D-rock, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Here apparently is our upcoming FTD CD and vinyl releases coming our way soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

And this is why they photoshopped one of the last FTD releases.

18. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Nobody dares wear a bigger collar than Elvis.

19. londonflash

Been many a trip around the Sun since a soundboard (presuming this is what they are) from that Vegas engagement first / last appeared.....I Found My Thrill. So in that regard, this could be somewhat interesting, although I won't be first in line to buy. I'm still on the fence with Vegas 71 and the recent 73 Tahoe / Vegas offering.

It's cool that the release is from a period that hasn't been mined much.

artfromtex, croquetlawns and RSteven like this.
  20. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I think the Vegas 71 set is worthwhile, the 73 one take or leave. The booth recordings are interesting, but if you're expecting soundboard quality, only the Tahoe show is from the mixing desk.

Both are more worthwhile than the endless stream of 74-76 soundboard releases though.

21. londonflash

Thanks @Matthew

I think the Vegas 71 release will end up in my hands at some point.

Yes, unless a soundboard from July 75 suddenly materialises I think I'm done with anything from May 74 onwards.

22. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

From Louisiana and Memphis ships on 2/17, correct?

23. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

It's already released. It's also $20 less expensive from Graceland's online store than Shop Elvis.

croquetlawns likes this.
  24. londonflash

There's been a price increase with these FTDs.......50 quid in the UK for the Let Me Be There set. Sheesh!

25. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Yeah I found that out after the fact when I pre-ordered from Shop Elvis.