Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

It's that Dixie Privilege.
    :laugh:

You're near a major FedEx hub and I am next to a UPS, FEDEX, and two Amazon hubs. I get stuff quick. I am very lucky.

croquetlawns and Myke like this.
  2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Nope -I have some albums I don't think are that great in those sort of numbers! The Japanese card sleeve is lovely.

artfromtex likes this.
  3. Magic Mountain

Magic Mountain Stranger in my own home town

Does anyone know when the Madison Square Garden FTD set will be released in the UK?

4. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

5. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

FTD's Madison Square Garden is yet another FTD that makes me wish I didn't know what compression/limiting sounds like. Such a disappointment as there's clearly a great mix trying to get through. It makes no sense why they continue to do this, well, it does make sense I suppose, because FTD using the local studio in Denmark is the lower cost, quick, convenient option. But all it'd take is a directive from Ernst to say "don't master it loud."

6. Magic Mountain

hodgo likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Ernst isn’t an audiophile, an admission he has made.

minkahed likes this.
  8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Yeah, it's a shame but I won't be buying this one for the same reasons as your goodself.

Magic Mountain and CBackley like this.
  9. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Loud mastering varies for me. I find it similar to a haircut; a little bit off the top isn't a problem at all, but a buzzcut would make me angry. The 2012 Madison Square definitely looks like a buzzcut.

Flaming Torch and croquetlawns like this.
  10. If they want an even cheaper option - and one that might just be sonically preferable to many of us - just release it flat/unmastered from the newly-mixed two track master.

minkahed and Timjosephuk like this.
  11. Wow! I ordered to have it shipped to IL and like others the cost for Priority 2-day USPS shipping was $7.34. Interestingly I wasn’t charged tax either.

artfromtex, Jason W and RSteven like this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My $80 copy arrived at 7pm last night (pkgs get delivered separately here now and later and later ).
    Haven’t played it yet as other family members are also here and would only whine that I’m playing Elvis.
    I only got it because I liked the Aloha set and maybe y’all hated that one too ?
    We’ll see.

artfromtex, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I liked the new Aloha set as well. Another really fine remixing job by Matt Ross-Spang. Would I have preferred Vic Anesini to have done the remastering on these last two live projects? Well, the answer to that is a big "Yes".

minkahed, Ken K, artfromtex and 6 others like this.
  14. Magic Mountain

That would be the best option but I think we all know that's not going to happen.

Shawn likes this.
  15. Myke

<<< Only me and Nate Dogg now, and we're loving it ! Ronnie Tutt's drums sound just like I like drums to sound.
    I remember thinking as a young teenager how if Elvis is supposed to be square and MOR, why did he have such a kick ass band behind him ?
    Didn't really start studying the man until after he died ( even though I got the apartment July 1st 1977, and had fallen asleep to the " Fool " album nearly every night ! ) I was taking him for granted because he was still alive and right down the interstate. In that reading I learned how he had hand picked every member of that band !

laf848, jeremylr, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  16. Myke

No one has updated the Wiki page to include either this release, or even Prince From Another Planet under the Reissues section which only includes Kevin Gray's 2 LP release.

artfromtex and croquetlawns like this.
  17. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

If I had to pick just one show -- I think MSG is probably my favorite live Elvis. Aloha feels more special or something, and there's a lot of good earlier shows of course -- but man, MSG is just masterful. The only thing that would make it better is if Steamroller Blues was on it... but it's such a dynamo. Before FTD, it's the concert that I played most often and cranked up.

18. Thomas Widener

Thomas Widener Forum Resident

Speaking of Aloha, I just learned that Sony Legacy will soon release a 50th-anniversary set with 3 CDs and a Blu-ray. Not sure if the CDs are identical to FTD, but after buying the FTD last year, this kind of rubs me the wrong way. Now, if we want the Bluray, we'll have to buy this whole thing all over again for the umpteenth time.

minkahed, ClausH, Timjosephuk and 2 others like this.
  19. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

The 3 CDs seem to be a copy/paste of the FTD. Blu-Ray will probably be a copy of the 2 DVD set.

https://www.shopelvis.com/product/EPCD3 ... =796_11143

Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite was an Elvis Presley concert that originally took place in Honolulu and was broadcast live via satellite to audiences around the world in 1973. The resulting live album became a #1 album for Elvis, and the TV transmission became the television event of the year worldwide. This 3CD + Blu-ray 50th anniversary package contains: CD 1 - newly remixed version of the original full-length TV broadcast concert, CD 2 - Rehearsal show, CD 3 - Complete after-show bonus song performances, and Blu-ray - Elvis Aloha from Hawaii concert + rehearsal concert + bonus songs

minkahed and croquetlawns like this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

The 2 DVD set had the US TV version too, and that doesn't appear to be there, so they actually *removed* parts...

Flaming Torch likes this.
  21. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That’s really poor - annoy the few thousand (hundred?) core FTD fans who buy everything by releasing it a year later with added content! I’m glad I didn’t spring for the first version.

Magic Mountain and Shawn like this.
  22. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

When you think it cannot get any worse... it gets worse.

I had a feeling this was going to happen so I passed on the FTD.

BTW, how much was the 3 CD FTD? The Sony version with Blu-Ray seem to be retailing for 56 USD in shopelvis and 55 in Graceland.

Shawn, croquetlawns and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. Thomas Widener

Thomas Widener Forum Resident

The FTD was about ten dollars more. They might as well just put the FTD out of print because no one in their right mind will buy it now when they can have everything the FTD has, plus a Blu-Ray too, for ten dollars less.

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii FTD 2022

minkahed and javilu77 like this.
  25. Myke

I disagree with these posts.
    I bought the FTD and have zero regrets over what ? A standard definition “ Blu ray “ ? Oh Hell no. The show was shot on videotape not film, therefore a true HD experience is impossible. And CDs are CDs, I doubt you’re going to hear any improvements.

minkahed, hodgo and artfromtex like this.