Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That certainly is a great list. But the glaring ommision is the 1969 studio material. You might want to consider FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS and BACK IN MEMPHIS or THE 1969 MEMPHIS ANTHOLOGY: SUSPICIOUS MINDS.

IMO, none of these CDs (whether the originals in the case of the first two OR the remasters) sound as good as the material does on the original vinyl but I'm sure FTD will get around to releasing the first two in their Classic Album series at some point.

You may also want to consider the FTDs of ELVIS IS BACK and/or SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY for some great post-army material. The only other title I'd recommend is PROMISED LAND, although I'm probably in the minority on recommending that one (and it would probably be worth waiting for the FTD issue, whenever they get around to it).

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I agree, and I think they missed the boat on some of disc one as well. Including four songs from Roustabout (including the awful Poison Ivy League) and only two from Viva Las Vegas (no C'mon Everybody?) is particularly weird. The decision to include every title song was a mistake, since some of the title songs (Clambake) are exceptionally weak relative to the rest of their soundtracks. The most annoying example is Stay Away Joe, which has some pretty good material except for the title song... and the title song is the only thing they included on Command Performances.

3. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I have ELVIS IS BACK on the list. I forgot to add FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS when I typed up the list.
    Thanks

4. Mike dk

Mike dk Forum Resident

celticbob;

I noticed that you have Nevada Nights on your wishlist. As not to be dissapointed with this release, I must warn you that the two concerts featured on this double disc is soundboard recordings - not multitracks. They don't sound very good (even for soundboard recordings) and is strictly for collectors (there is much much better live releases to be found).

The opening show from Aug.19th 1974 (disc 1 on Nevada Nights) is interessting as it includes a rare songlist with rare performances - but the sound is nowhere near multitrack quality.

5. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

celticbob - since you are only just starting to get into Elvis' music you may wish to look out for:

"From Nashville to Memphis: The Essential 60s Masters I"
    "Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70s Masters"

You may be able to locate used copied of these sets for reasonable prices. Sound quality is very good on these - yes, some have been improved since but unless you are going to go hardout collecting all the FTD Classic albums etc they are great starting points. The 70s box is also the only place the get all the "Elvis Country" masters sans the interluded of "I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago".

The 60s box will give you all the Nashville material from the 60s plus all the Memphis 69 material.

You are pretty much getting there with regards to 50s material - I would recommend the FTD "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong" for some great '57/'58 material.

Regarding live material. I agree that Nevada Nights is probably not the best starting point here. Unless you have heard soundboard material before you will be in for a surprise. There are plenty of multitrack stereo releases out there:

"Viva Las Vegas" 2 Disc version where you will get some great live masters from 1970 and 1972 plus a complete 1969 live show mastered by Vic Anesini. This came out in 2007.
    "An Afternoon In The Garden" - Afternoon show recorded at Madison Square Garden in 1972 - better sound than the original Evening show album.
    "Opening Night" - FTD of Elvis' opening show for the August 1970 Vegas stint.
    "Live On Stage In Memphis" - FTD Classic Album of Elvis' Memphis 1974 show. This version features all songs from the show. Opinion is split re the mix/sound - I for one like it and this is probably the closest you will get to hearing a mix that puts you in the audience. Great performance to!

There are plenty of others out there.

Regarding the 68 NBC TV-Special material - seak out these two late 90s releases:

Memories (2CD release)
    Tiger Man (2nd Sit-down show)

If you only get one, get Tiger Man, it is fantastic!

Failing that there was a new '68 CD release this year containing the original LP plus the associated live performances.

Regarding movie material - At The Movies is a 2 disc release. I would recommend "Command Performances - The Essential 60s Masters II" as this focuses on the 60s material only. I've never felt the 50s movie material should ever sit together with the 60s stuff! Better to seak out these CDs:

Loving You (2005 or the FTD)
    Jailhouse Rock/Love Me Tender
    King Creole

All can be found cheap.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In terms of live material, disc Two of the "That's The Way It Is - Special Edition" release is an essential live disc (8/12/70 midnight show), possibly the best overall Elvis concert available. This release in general is a quality package and well worth picking up for any Elvis fan growing a collection.

7. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Thanks.
    I will scratch NEVADA NIGHTS from the list, for now. Right now i'd just like to cover each era then go from there. I have heard soundboard material before and i agree some of it is enjoyable but sometimes a bit rough around the edges. I have seen a version of him doing "Polk Salad Annie" on youtube which sparked my interest in a live disc from that era with the song on it.

8. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Essential live EP, IMO:

1. The Complete 68 Comeback Special box set (I know, I know, there are issues with it . . .)
    2. At The International (FTD)
    3. On Stage
    4. Disc Two of the That's The Way It Is 3cd set
    5. Live In Texas (Disc four of Close Up box set)
    6. Aloha From Hawaii
    7. Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (FTD)

I also need the live stuff the Platinum set, and the recent Viva Las Vegas set. If RCA or FTD ever gets around to an ON TOUR box set or a MSG 72 proper set, substitute either one for Live In Texas. I don't think anything after the Memphis 74 set is all that important.

9. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I'm not that wild about the 1972 Texas show. In my opinion, the February '72 Las Vegas material is great and seems to be grouped on the '70s and Las vegas boxes.

10. PacificOceanBlue

Yes, the February 1972 recordings from Las Vegas are stellar. The FTD American Trilogy release is one of the best live albums available. The San Antonio show from 1972 is a very strong concert and certainly one of the best shows available in terms of sound quality.

John Grimes likes this.
  11. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

:realmad:

So I bought the FTD The Way That It Is at Graceland the other day and opened it on my plane ride home to find NO cd's enclosed. Just the cardboard 7" tri-panel case and booklet....certainly never occured to me to open it there as I never had an issue like this with any cd in my entire life.

Anyway, shipped it back and hope they make good on sending me another one...the phone customer service at graceland left a lot to be desired....

:realmad:

has anyone ever bought an empty FTD 7" deluxe edition or am I the only lucky one?

12. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I bought the Memphis, Tennessee FTD from elvis.com and it came without the booklet. Had no problem with customer service. They sent me another 2cd set and it arrived a-ok and complete. Didn't even have to send the first one back.

Hope they send you a replacement.

13. PacificOceanBlue

I experienced it with the FTD 7" Viva Las Vegas soundtrack. Purchased it from an Elvis FTD dealer and he was more than accommodating in sending me the CD after the fact.

14. DJ WILBUR

well 2 positive FTD replacements. So I'm a bit more hopeful now.

odd these would go out without either a disc or a booklet. I'm assuming these are put together by hand? not sure how a machine would get those discs on those rubber stumps and the booklet slots on the one's I do have are always quite snug...

anyway, if it is humans doing them, that explains it. a mind numbing boring task to do all day I would imagine.

15. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Anyone purchase the FTD Elvis in Person CD?

If so, please comment on the sound quality. Is it better than the original CD release? Thanks.

16. Mike dk

Mike dk Forum Resident

I have the new In person from FTD. I have not yet compared the sound to the original CD release but my first impression was very good. A solid release with great sound (mastered by Vic Anesini). As a bonus we get extra tracks on disc 1 as well as an unreleased complete show on disc 2. I'm a little burned out on these 69 vegas shows so have not yet heard disc 2 except for a few tracks.

17. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

This may not be the thread to ask, but as it's a FTD thread what the heck. Does the shopelvis site tend to have sales on FTDs at certain times of the year? Happily I did pick up a few titles at Christmas. I've now reached the stage where I so appreciate the improved sound quality that I'm looking to buy his debut because of that. There are some other titles I have my eyes on too. I'm more than willing to pay full price for such high quality releases, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thus far I have:

Elvis Is Back!
    Nashville Marathon
    Elvis Country
    On Tour
    Jungle Room Sessions

Keepers all!

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Yes, they have a good sale every now and then. Usually during Elvis week in August you can find some good deals.

19. DJ WILBUR

hmmm, I've NEVER seen any titles from FTD on sale at elvis.com...man, I'd love to grab a few at a discount...still, i've bought about a dozen of them and I have to say I've not been burned by a single purchase, pricey, but worthy I have to say. Also great reviews can be found on all of them by googling and I've never been steered wrong from those reviews.

I'm looking forward to the new one coming out next month, the album that Burning Love was meant to be but didnt happen.

20. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I can go ahead and order sooner than later (I can't wait till August :laugh:) without having to concern myself with paying more than I need to. :)

There was a sale for perhaps a week in early December on FTDs which I found out about thanks to signing up for their mailing list. I agree DJ, though the prices are high they are a superb value. This site and the reviews elsewhere have been very helpful.

21. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Yes Standing Room Only should be a good one!

22. PacificOceanBlue

If you are a fan of Elvis' 1969 live work, this newest edition of IN PERSON is a keeper. The live concert from 8/22/69 on disc two may be the best complete show released from that run of shows so far. Great mix and clean mastering. Highly recommended.

CBackley and John Grimes like this.
  23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Here's a complete list of the FTD titles

1. Burbank '68 - OOP
    2. Out In Hollywood - OOP
    3. In A Private Moment
    4. The Jungle Room Sessions
    5. Long Lonely Highway - OOP
    6. Tucson '76
    7. Too Much Monkey Business
    8. One Night In Vegas
    9. 6363 Sunset - OOP
    10. Easter Special
    11. Dixieland Rock
    12. The Way It Was (book+CD) - OOP
    13. Memphis Sessions
    14. Silver Screen Stereo - OOP
    15. It's Midnight
    16. Fame And Fortune - OOP
    17. Spring Tours '77
    18. The Nashville Marathon
    19. Dinner At Eight
    20. Elvis At The International
    21. New Years Eve.
    22. Studio B
    23. It Happend At The World's Fair
    24. Fun In Acapulco
    25. Girl Happy
    26. Dragonheart
    27. Takin' Tahoe Tonight
    28. Viva Las Vegas
    29. Harum Scarum
    30. Frankie And Johnny
    31. So High
    32. The Impossible Dream
    33. Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
    34. Flashback (book+CD)
    35. Spinout
    36. Polk Salad Annie
    37. Paradise Hawaiian Style
    38. Double Trouble
    39. Closing Night
    40. Follow That Dream
    41. Kid Galahad
    42. On Tour - The Rehearsals
    43. Rocking Across Texas (book+CD)
    44. Elvis Is Back
    45. Big Boss Man
    46. All Shook Up
    47. Elvis Today
    48. Tickle Me
    49. Summer Festival '72
    50. Southern Nights
    51. Loving You
    52. Made In Memphis
    53. Something For Everybody
    54. I Found My Thrill
    55. Clambake
    56. Elvis Presley
    57. Let Yourself Go
    58. Writing For The King (book+CD)
    59. His Hand In Mine
    60. Unchained Melody
    61. An American Trilogy
    62. 50.000.000 Elvis Fans Can’t Be Wrong
    63. Live In LA (book+CD)
    64. I Sing All Kinds - Nashville '71
    65. Easy Come, Easy Go
    66. Raised On Rock
    67. Girls! Girls! Girls!
    68. Pot Luck
    69. Wild In The Country
    70. That's The Way It Is
    71. The Way It Was
    72. America
    73. Elvis Sings Memphis, Tennessee
    74. Love Letters From Elvis
    75. Elvis Country
    76. Nevada Nights
    77. Elvis In Person
    78. I'll Remember You
    79. Blue Hawaii
    80. Standing Room Only

24. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

This is an essential release. The mastering work is fantastic. Not only do you get the original album, not only do you get the two vintage masters that carried over to the "February 1970, On Stage' album, but you also get a smattering of unique and rare performances plus a complete show on disc two.... all consistently mixed!

That's right, all the non-vintage bonus material has been mixed to match the original album! This was a great decision to run with and one that I hope continues with the eventual FTD of "February 1970, On Stage".

Get "In Person" now, you will not be disappointed!

John Grimes likes this.
  25. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

This one is OOP? It's still available online from what I can see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.