Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm Moving On: I was more familiar with the original, and The Rolling Stones cover before hearing it in Elvis' hands. And while I like the other two, Elvis wins hands down. Sounds like he's having a blast with the vocals, and yet another great drum track by Gene Chrisman. But that whole band is killer.

Here's a version with the unedited vocal:

Iceman08, Purple Jim, Dave112 and 3 others like this.
  2. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Haha. ;) Nash unearthed some primary evidence from the Colonel's military service that sheds light on exactly the kind of person Elvis was dealing with. Not that it changes anything. Just adds another dimension to the conversation.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  3. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Absolutely, if you don't have the right people at your back. I work with creatives and I can tell you that it's rare to find someone who is exceptional and plans well, doesn't forget things easily, is organised etc. Where they really come into their own is when you give them an objective, (and crucially) the space & latitude to come up with ideas to achieve that objective. That's when the creative juices really start to flow that enables the most amazing, original ideas to surface. Monetary incentives/bonuses don't work btw. The key is to pay people enough so that the issue of money is taken off the table. With Parker managing Elvis, the money was front and centre all the time.

I'm not trying to make Elvis out to be blameless here, but to illustrate the barriers he faced, creatively.

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  4. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Ace24, RSteven, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Ali said of his friend "Elvis was my close personal friend. He came to my Deer Lake training camp about two years before he died. He told us he didn't want nobody to bother us. He wanted peace and quiet and I gave him a cabin in my camp and nobody even knew it. When the cameras started watching me train, he was up on the hill sleeping in the cabin. Elvis had a robe made for me. I don't admire nobody, but Elvis Presley was the sweetest, most humble and nicest man you'd want to know."

Iceman08, Tord, Purple Jim and 4 others like this.
  6. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Indeed.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

I am a little surprised that Sony are celebrating a 50th Anniversary occasion this year by going for a box set of all known "live" recordings from Vegas ‘69 instead of doing something for FEIM or the Memphis sessions. I realise that Elvis collectors will probably have the FTD variants but if Sony want to go after the more casual buyer, issuing a box of 11 shows that are basically the same and repetitive does not seem the right way to go. But then perhaps they think there is little mileage to be had from Elvis these days for the general record buyer outside of issuing five unreleased shows in a box to the hardcore fans who will buy anything, even if it means paying for the shows they already have via FTD.

I know that FEIM came out via Legacy five years ago, or rather sneaked out as I cannot recall any big announcements like Sony did with Down in the Jungle Room, but I think the album merits a decent celebration. Personally, I was hoping for a 50th Anniversary FEIM of 3 or 4 discs where Sony could have issued a quad or 5.1 mix of the album along with outtakes and mono mixes. But I guess it would only work if Sony spent some effort and dosh on promoting it.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The copyright will expire for the 1969 recordings in Europe on December 31st this year. They have to get them out or by January 1 it'll be a free for all with every show being released by Hallmark and NOTT.

9. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

So are you saying that by law, Sony will have to hand over those tapes to any third party.

I thought the idea was that recordings would fall under a "use it or lose it" clause, which allows the recordings to revert to the performer if the producer or record company has no desire to market the recording.

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Anyone who taped a 1969 Elvis show that RCA haven't released can legally put them out after January next year. Putting out everything protects the copyright on the recording. In another 25 years everything's up for grabs (released or not).

11. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Interesting. So if I understand what you are saying correctly, anyone who recorded or was involved in The Beatles work in 1966 could release outtakes from the Revolver sessions then. I assume that person would have to request the tapes from Apple Records and that under the law, Apple could not refuse the request.

mark winstanley and Mylene like this.
  12. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

He should have recorded Elvis' "Smokey Mountain Boy" from Kissin' Cousins. :-D

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Legally you could probably find a Revolver bootleg, make sure all the tracks were never released by EMI/Universal, and put them up for sale on iTunes. When the 50 year rule was in place lots of $2 companies were doing it with little or no ownership of anything.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Power Of My Love
    Written By :
    Bernie Baum, Bill Giant & Florence Kaye

Recorded :

American Studios, Memphis, February 17-22, 1969 : February 18, 1969. take 7

This track is another great piece. We have a somewhat blues, somewhat rock track and the lyrics are somewhat smutty, most notably "no baby you can't lick it" with a little chuckle afterwards.
    We start with a fairly raw limping blues riff, but with the first time through the main line the backing singers come in with a wonderful breathy backing vocal section, that may well be my favourite ever piece of backing vocal in any song.
    As we move along the song develops a wonderful horn section that is adding to the melody and the rhythm and this whole things deveops into this unstoppable force of pulsing rhythm and blues that for me is just magic.
    I'm going to call it the bridge, but the change "baby I want you..." is again fantastic, it has just the right amount of drama and just a bit more emphasis and this track just becomes one of my favourite Elvis blues/rock/r&b tracks. For me it just works ... and all this in spite of the fact that some of the lyrics are a bit ho hum.
    Great opening to side two, and the perfect choice to include if at one stage they weren't certain.

Tord, Revelator, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  15. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Or as in his "You'll Never Walk Alone" outtake or his jam of "Don't Think Twice It's All Right".

RSteven, MRamble and mark winstanley like this.
  16. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Here is a nice mixture of rock, pop and blues plus Elvis in top form, clearly enjoying the recording. For some unknown reason, i've never listened to the máster take since i discovered that tougher alternate take first released on the "platinum" boxset. The lack of overdubs makes it a bit bluesier to me and that cannot be bad when you've been a r&b lover for the last 30+ years.

17. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Surprisingly, from the same writing team that brought us "Shake That Tambourine", "Queenie Wahine's Papaya", "Beach Shack", and "Wolf Call".

Iceman08, Mylene, artfromtex and 7 others like this.
  18. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Do You Want To Know A Secret and Happiness Is A Warm Gun also share the same writer.;-)
    It's fun to imagine how intense Elvis would have made some of his movie songs had he cut them at the '69 sessions. On the other hand I kinda can imagine how mediocre Power Of My Love would have sounded in, say, Clambake.

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Now Imagine Power Of My Love recorded for a movie as it was marketed a couple of years earlier to Elvis. Yes it was a studio session. But imagine it being used on Speedway or Clambake. Elvis singing it as he chases a girl around a couch. It would have been sung in a much LESS aggressive manner and would have been coy and cute.

20. I'm picturing him singing it to one of the dogs in Paradise, Hawaiian style while it's playing with a bone:

Oh break it, burn it, drag it all around
    Twist it, turn it, you can't tear it down
    Cause every minute, every hour you'll be shaken
    By the strength and mighty power of my love
    Crush it, kick it, you can never win
    I know baby you can't lick it
    I'll make you give in
    Every minute, every hour you'll be shaken
    By the strength and mighty power of my love

21. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

:laugh:

[​IMG]

Iceman08, Revelator, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

True enough, but they were also responsible for writing 43 sings for Elvis over the years, particularly during the much maligned soundtrack period, but I personally believe their songs are some of the better ones from those years, including the following songs I actually like quite a bit:

Animal Instinct
    Ask Me
    City By Night
    Devil In Disguise
    Do Not Disturb
    Edge Of Reality
    Go East Young Man
    House Of Sand
    Kissin' Cousins (Number 2)
    Mirage
    Night Life
    Paridise Hawaiian Style
    Poison Ivy League
    Roustabout
    Scratch My Back
    Sound Advice
    Tender feelings
    The Sound Of Your Cry
    This Is My Heaven
    Today, Tomorrow, And Forever
    Wisdom Of The Ages
    Wolf Call

PepiJean, mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  23. That's actually a pretty nice list of songs!

24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Thanks. I actually come to the conclusion after going over these soundtrack recordings by Elvis in detail with all of you fine folks on this thread that several of Elvis's soundtrack albums might be almost unlistenable without many of their better contributions.

25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis's Power Of My Love is probably in my top twenty favorite Elvis songs of all time, but I guess so are the vast majority of the songs on this stupendous album. Everything that is great about Elvis is reflected in this performance, from his soulfulness to his outright naughtiness ( My gal loves that word "naughty" as she thinks it is highly underused in our vocabulary). Power Of My Love features a perfect combination of soulful/blues that Elvis could always seem to deliver in spades when he felt connected to a great song.

Iceman08, PepiJean, Shawn and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.