Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching up a bit here, but the first four tracks are - at best - mediocre to me. I had the Pickwick LP of this back in, what, 1976, and was disappointed even as a kid (and to make matters worse, that release cut off three songs... well considering the quality of this material, maybe that was a blessing). Poor sound quality mars this release like Harum Scarum. At this point, it's my least-favorite Elvis album.

Iceman08, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep, this is the one-two gut punch of the two worst tracks on the record. They are obviously attempts to write show tunes, and while that is not a genre I'm really qualified to critique in depth, I'm guessing they are not very good show tunes (in the intervening 50+ years, it's notable that no one has been inspired to do a broadway production of F&J). Certainly these types of songs are the very opposite of what Elvis wanted to be singing and should have been singing to best showcase his talents. And I'll be the first to make the obvious comment... Ann-Margret can't sing on an Elvis record, but Donna Douglas can?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

No offense Dirk, but me beginning to think you am from bizarro earth. I guess I do admire your ability to see something good in even the worst things. Here's a serious question though... what would you say are Elvis' five worst recordings? Are there any Elvis tracks you really hate? You're such a "glass half full" person I am curious.

mark winstanley and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

For me, I don't really hate any Elvis songs, I don't think ....... but there are certainly a few in this mid sixties period, that if it wasn't for all the other great work he has done, I wouldn't be interested in them at all.

NumberEight and RSteven like this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

"Hate" is a rather strong word to use when describing how we feel about any song sung by the glorious voice of Elvis Presley, but I have to say that Yoga Is As Yoga Does, definitely crosses that threshold for me.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

I think I'm yet to hear it lol ... Like I said "I think" I don't hate any of his songs lol ...

RSteven likes this.
  7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Oh boy you are in for a treat. Then there is Dominic.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

Well I think I listened to all the albums in the rca box .... but I didn't do it in order, and I did balk at a couple, so I may not have. I know I listened to these last two (Frankie - Harum) because I was underwhelmed ... I don't hate them, just underwhelmed would be the correct definer.
    So we'll see. It was a lot to digest in six or seven months :)

RSteven likes this.
  9. SKATTERBRANE

Yeah well even though most people put Paradise Hawaiian Style in the same category as these two, I say it is a incremental step up. And then it gets better on average for quite a while after this.

10. mark winstanley

I'm kind of excited and distracted at the moment anyhow.
    I just booked the Elvis Experience + planes, with a room in the guesthouse at Graceland for Saturday night. I have no idea what to expect.
    Just a spur of the moment thing because we're going to be in Memphis for a concert on Saturday.

Iceman08, Brian Mc, Revelator and 2 others like this.
  11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I'm jealous. It has been a long time since I have been to Graceland. I usually stayed at The Peabody which of course is downtown. I stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel as well, but actually preferred The Peabody, even though it is a a little bit of a drive to Graceland. I am curious to check out The Guess House at Graceland as well. Please let us know about your whole visit upon your return.

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

For sure mate.
    I really don't know what it actually is .... four hour tour and a museum and airplanes .... but I'll find out Saturday I guess lol

RSteven likes this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

The cool part about the tour of the actual house was that you could basically take as long as you want as I recall. I do not really remember anybody rushing you along. I hope it is still that way.

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

[​IMG]

Revelator and mark winstanley like this.
  15. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I actively dislike a decent number of Elvis songs. Off the top of my head, I find all of these to be a chore to sit through, and many are just unlistenable. I'm sure I could come up with more if I put more time into it. For the sake of simplicity, I didn't include live performances.

And I Love You So
    Beginner's Luck
    Blue Hawaii
    Britches
    C'mon Everybody
    Confidence
    Girls! Girls! Girls!
    Hawaiian Sunset
    Hard Luck
    He Touched Me
    Help Me Make It Through The Night
    Hey Little Girl
    Hot Dog
    I Will Be Home Again
    Island Of Love
    Just A Little Bit
    Life
    Lonesome Cowboy
    Love Me Tender
    Loving You
    Mama Liked The Roses
    My Wish Came True
    Old Shep
    Please Don't Stop Loving Me
    Scratch My Back
    Steadfast, Loyal, & True
    There Goes My Everything
    This Is My Heaven
    This Is Our Dance
    Tomorrow Night (Elvis For Everyone version)
    True Love
    What'd I Say
    Wheels On My Heels
    White Christmas
    Woman Without Love

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  16. SKATTERBRANE

I am also not a fan of Love Me Tender, but I DO like the version sung on the TV Special a lot. (his joking around notwithstanding).

17. mark winstanley

I really like most of those lol

DirkM and RSteven like this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Wow, what an eclectic mix. So it's not that your tastes are undiscriminating, but that they are idiosyncratic. Cool. My opinion on the tracks in the above list runs the gamut. There's stuff I think is great, stuff that's pretty good, stuff that's mediocre, and a few that I agree with you are downright bad.

RSteven likes this.
  19. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Love Me Tender is an odd one, because I actually enjoy the live versions (or at least the parts where he actually sings). I agree that the Comeback Special version is particularly good. It's just the studio master that bores me to tears.

:D

That just about sums it up. My list of "desert island Elvis songs" would probably look even stranger. :)

20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think the version on the 68 Comeback Special blows the original right out of the water. Elvis's ability to sing a ballad had grown by leaps and bounds over the course of the decade. His heart was in it too, despite the nervous joking around thrown into the lyrics.

mark winstanley and DirkM like this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This is what is so amazing about the Elvis fandom; His versatility was so great and his eclectic mix of song styles so broad that there is no way Elvis fans are ever going to come close to agreeing on what songs are great or even mediocre in his vast catalogue, let alone which ones are terrible. There is simply a fair amount of songs to even the most ardent Elvis fan that fall into all three categories, well especially the first two. I can hardly wait to get the similar reaction to what Dirk is getting when I defend some of Elvis's 70's recordings, many of which are among my favorite recordings of his career.:D

DirkM, Spencer R and mark winstanley like this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

I know when this thread reaches its conclusion, I will be going into withdrawal.

DirkM, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

There's a long way to go yet ....
    I am thinking after the regular albums, if everybody is still interested, we can go through some ftd stuff and soundboards also.
    But that's still a way off.
    I'm really looking forward to the seventies albums, because I'm loving them :)

DirkM, RSteven and Spencer R like this.
  24. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Does anybody have "Petunia" or "Chesay" in their Top Ten....

Songs you never ever want to hear again? :shh:

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It would definitely be fun to cover all the posthumous albums. That would probably last us another five years at the rate we are going...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.