Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Based on the intro, it sounds like the band might have rehearsed it between the 20th and the 21st.

artfromtex, BeatleJWOL and Dave112 like this.
  2. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I never had this on LP but I always thought the cover was cool. I finally got it in the 1990s when I ran across a great deal on Elvis' 1970s CDs at a Kmart. Sure it had all previous released material but I liked the compilation. Before I started using my phone as a music player, a burned CDR copy of this was in regular rotation in my car.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yep, I did anticipate its being the most controversial. Maybe when we get to EIC it will be topped.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

For so many reasons that is the one album I am looking forward to least

Dave112, RSteven and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

Here we have two "new" recordings and a remix. Here, Make The World Go Away is the complete take 3. The master is take 3 with a take 1 work part ending spliced in. I Can't Stop Loving You is completely unreleased. It is our first glimpse into "An Afternoon In The Garden" (two more tracks will appear a bit later in the Legendary Performer series). And the god awful remix of Release Me from On Stage Feb 1970. They mixed in an ambient mic to cause a cavernous reverb effect. I am glad they did not use this type of mix on the On Stage album!

The 1992 CD release of this album has take 9 of Your Cheatin' Heart which was originally accidently released on some Reader's Digest release. (I do not recall the title). It also appeared on The E.P. Collection Volume 2 from the UK. And now it is fairly common. The CD in the 20 Original Albums box set returns the original take 10 master like the LP had.

This is a pretty decent compilation of country music. It certainly is a better collection of country music than the "contemporary country" he had recorded post 1970. Hey, this would have been a great time to include the studio version of For The Good Times, but they overlooked it again. Here we get a live version, the Madison Square Garden evening performance.

It initially sold 400K and soon went platinum after Elvis's death.

Mylene, Dave112, czeskleba and 5 others like this.
  6. I remember my younger sister got the LP for her birthday just a month before Elvis passed away. Big brother was an Elvis fan so she wanted an Elvis LP too ;) The things we remember...

7. Pelvis Ressley

Just put a chair right there. They've got an ambulance waiting by. Oh, I can, I just, I can hardly wait.

Dave112, RSteven, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

I’ve always preferred take 2b (I think) the more uptempo version of ‘She Thinks I Still Care’ on the 70’s box rather than the single version.

9. SKATTERBRANE

And what a random set of 7 it is. Certainly if they included C'mon Everybody, they should have included I Got Lucky. (just the opposite happened when they issued all the Camdens on cd in 2006 EXCEPT C'mon Everybody)

Dave112, RSteven, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  10. mark winstanley

I tried to watch the concert on youtube .... I don't know if I am just getting old, but it kind of disturbed me, and I am not particularly sensitive.
    I saw him, and just thought "how the f... could nobody tell he was about to die" ... made me angry

Tord, Dave112, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

Welcome To My World CD in the 20 CD collection sounds great. I think that disc and Elvis For Everyone in that box are both post 2007 Anesini masters. ALL of the discs on the 20 CD Soundtrack box are. And a few random ones on the 20 CD collection are including the two I mentioned.

12. SKATTERBRANE

Elvis should have left the building in an ambulance after either one of those concerts that comprise EIC, and been taken to rehab and never let out until he did the work needed to get well.

13. SKATTERBRANE

Yes, I too thought it would have been MUCH better had they included Back In Memphis instead of Welcome To My World.

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Might as well just post the album info and ask a Gort to lock the thread, then move on to posthumous releases.

Which, uh, by the way, good luck? :D How does one even start?

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  15. SKATTERBRANE

EIC is a posthumous release. That thread will be Epic because of EIC alone.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Hey guys -
    Anyone know anything about this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mylene and Dave112 like this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Appears to be the Franklin Mint version of the Complete Elvis Presley Masters collection.

FRANKLIN MINT: THE COMPLETE MASTERS COLLECTION

Missing the 3 rarities discs.

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58447&start=125

Dave112, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Prematurely lighting the fuse....;)

19. SKATTERBRANE

Well since I was successful in predicting the controversy of EPB I thought I would go two for two, before we head into the "masterpiece" :biglaugh: that is the Moody Blue LP.

20. mark winstanley

awww c'mon man, don't be like that :)

Dave112, RSteven and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  21. SKATTERBRANE

Gee, I wonder if that Sun 45 has the original dry Sun version or the added reverb found on the RCA version? Yes, this was another way to get The Complete Masters sorted loosely by theme rather than by recording session on the regular Sony Legacy version.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

Hey don'cha know I am one of the 50,000,000 Elvis fans that can't be wrong?

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree. I see Solitaire came in for some criticism above, but I’m listening to the Way Down In The Jungle Room master of the song right now, and, despite it being an over-covered piece of 70s schlock, Elvis somehow works his magic on it, and I find the end result powerful and moving. I dislike about half of the Jungle Room material, but I find certain tracks such as Solitaire and The Last Farewell to be amazing, mostly because, as always, Elvis connects with the lyric and means it, no matter how trite or silly the lyric may seem on paper. If someone who had never heard of Elvis Presley before listened to Take 2 of The Last Farewell for the first time, he would be hard pressed to guess what a physical wreck Elvis was at the time he recorded it. That magic voice, magic phrasing, and magical ability to inhabit a lyric are still somehow there.

GillyT, Dave112, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  24. Pelvis Ressley

Any way for it to get up here? Any way for it to get up here? I really missed it.

RSteven likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, the Moody Blue discussion could also be slightly contentious — another uneven, mediocre album revered by a faction of fans.

artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.