Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I would love to do a top 10 list, but as I'm just diving in, I feel it's premature to do so. However, I can say I've enjoyed certain albums.

In no particular order:
    Elvis (NBC tv special)
    Aloha from Hawaii
    Golden Records 1
    Golden Records 3
    GI Blues

Ok, maybe I do have a top 5 :angel:

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  2. It’s a bit early but thought I’d ask now - when we get to 1973, could we include the as-seen-on-tv RCA Special Products double LP ‘Elvis’? There’s nothing new on this musically, but it’s the LP that got me started on Elvis.

DPL2-0056 (e) Elvis | elvisrecords.com

mark winstanley, JLGB and Brian Mc like this.
  3. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

My copy of On Tour - The Rehearsals doesn't have the Hampton Roads AAT, but it does have the "studio" session alternate of AOMM. Are there multiple pressings?

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I love your list. Elvis Is Back gets all the attention, but Something For Everybody and Pot Luck are darn good albums in their own right.

RSteven, Dave112, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea mate. Remind me when we get to 73. I just looked through my reference guide and it isn't there. I'm not sure why, as there are quite a few compile type albums.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Shawn likes this.
  6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The record club albums and TV offer albums (including Brookville, Candle Light and Reader's Digest releases) is a category that was essentially created after the Colonel sold all the back catalog recordings. RCA then had free reign on marketing pre 1973 recordings any way they wanted to. I am not sure albums such as DPL2-0056 (e) Elvis | elvisrecords.com really need to be part of this discussion as they would be so redundant and contain only material already discussed (take 9 of Your Cheatin' Heart notwithstanding). Maybe they can be grouped in the posthumous thread?

Iceman08, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  7. mark winstanley

It actually made me remember an album from the eighties ... I started thinking I was imagining it. I never bought it, but really thought about it at the time.
    Has anyone else ever heard this one, or seen it?
    [​IMG]
    Blue Moon 2:40
    Blue Moon Of Kentucky 2:02
    Milkcow Blues Boogie 2:34
    Blue Suede Shoes 1:59
    When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again 2:19
    Mean Woman Blues 2:16
    Blueberry Hill 2:41
    Blue Christmas 2:07
    A Mess Of Blues 2:39
    G.I. Blues 2:35
    Blue Hawaii 2:35
    Beach Boy Blues 2:02
    Something Blue 2:57
    Blue River 2:08
    Goodtime Charlie's Got The Blues 3:13
    Indescribably Blue 2:47
    Steamroller Blues 3:05
    Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain 3:38
    Moody Blue 2:47

Mylene, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  8. If I’m not mistaken (and I certainly could be), the TV Elvis LP I mentioned is the only one of the titles you mentioned released before his death, so I think it’s part of the story. Certainly an important one to me.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

My mistake, I thought you were only referring to AOMM. The Hampton Roads AAT with the ‘81 overdubs was also reissued by Paul Dowling’s Worldwide Elvis on its 9/11 “If I Can Dream” single, in cooperation with BMG.

10. SKATTERBRANE

Oh yeah, now that I see it again, I do remember it. I remember being disappointed because I was expecting an entire BLUES album, not an album that contained songs with "blue" in the title.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

Then don't forget the Brookville "Elvis In Hollywood".

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

I essentially understand where you're coming from with those releases.
    I'm happy to do that one.
    Everything else will be from the general release list I'm using.
    We will start the posthumous thread when we say goodbye to Elvis.

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  13. I remember it only for its hideous cover haha.

14. mark winstanley

I wasn't sure if folks outside aus and japan would know it ... but i underestimate the elvis fans lol

RSteven likes this.
  15. I remember seeing it here in the US, along side the other Elvis LPs.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I've never seen them except on EBay. I thought they were bootleg albums judging from the cover. Guess not. Lol.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  17. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I've never seen them except on EBay. I thought they were bootleg albums judging from the cover. Guess not. Lol.

18. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

UPDATED! #5
    14 "Top 5" can't be wrong

@RSteven remarkable Top 5

1- From Elvis in Memphis (1969)
    2- Elvis is Back! (1960)
    3- TTWII (1970)
    4- On Stage (1970)
    5- Elvis Country (1971)​

--> No 50's albums
    --> 1 LP from early 1960's
    --> all the rest (4) between 1969 and 1971.

Conclusion: A comeback era lover.

@mark winstanley spot-on Top 5
    1- From Elvis in Memphis (1969)
    2- Elvis is Back! (1960)
    3- TTWII (1970)
    4- Elvis Presley (1956)
    5- King Creole (1958)​

--> 2 50's album
    --> 2 60's album
    --> 1 from the 70's.

Conclusion: From all 3 lists, the one with more diversity.

@ClausH intriguing Top 5
    1 - Elvis Golden Records (1958)
    2 - From Elvis In Memphis (1969)
    3 - Elvis Presley (1956)
    4 - His Hand In Mine (1961)
    5 - Elvis Is Back! (1960)​

--> 2 50's album
    --> 3 60's album
    --> No 70's at sight

Conclusion: A first-golden-age Elvis lover with a touch of late 60's Country Soul.

@PacificOceanBlue historical Top 5
    1- Elvis NBC-TV Special (1968)
    2- Golden Records Vol. 3 (1963)
    3- From Elvis In Memphis (1969)
    4- The Sun Sessions (1976)
    5- Elvis Is Back! (1960)​

--> 1 50's album
    --> 4 60's album
    --> No 70's anywhere
    --> 5 landmark Elvis albums

Conclusion: A historical content music fan.

@Shawn Golden Top 5:
    1- From Elvis In Memphis (1969)
    2- Elvis Is Back (1960)
    3- Golden Records 1 (1958)
    4- Gold Records 3 (1963)
    5- Gold Records 2 (1960)​

--> 2 60's album
    --> 3 Golden Records comps
    --> No 70's at all

Conclusion: A 1958-1962 fan with a penchant for big hits (and Country Soul too.)

@czeskleba post 1977 Top 5
    1. The '56 Sessions Volume 1 (1978)
    2. From Nashville to Memphis: The Essential 60s Masters disc 1 (1993)
    3. From Nashville to Memphis: The Essential 60s Masters discs 4 and 5 (1993)
    4. Tomorrow is a Long Time (1999)
    5. The Brightest Star on Sunset Blvd V 1 and 2 (1998)​

--> 1 50's anthology
    --> early and late 60's sessions
    --> 70's off the cuff music

Conclusion: A complete sessions enthusiast.

@Spencer R love-it-all Top 5
    1- His hand in mine (1961)
    2- On Stage (1970)
    3- Elvis (1956)
    4- Elvis is Back! (1960)
    5- Stereo '57 (1989)
    --> 2 50's rock'n'roll albums
    --> 1 Pop/R&B 60's LP
    --> 1 Gospel album
    --> 1 70's (more or less) live collection

Conclusion: An all the facets lover.

@SKATTERBRANE stereo-mode Top 5
    1- Elvis Presley (1956)
    2- For LP fans only (1959)
    3- Elvis is Back! (1960)
    4- From Elvis in Memphis (1969)
    5- Elvis Country (1971)
    --> 2 50's albums
    --> 2 60's albums
    --> 1 70's album
    --> 5 classic LPs

Conclusion: A creme of the creme sessions supporter.

@Dave112 wide-ranging Top 5
    1- Elvis Presley (1956)
    2- Elvis is Back! (1960)
    3- How great thou art (1967)
    4- From Elvis in Memphis (1969)
    5- This is Elvis (1981)
    --> 1 50's debut
    --> 3 60's albums
    --> 1 80's soundtrack

Conclusion: An eclectic - mostly 60's - devotee.

@wildroot indigo wide-ranging Top 5
    1- The Elvis Presley Sun Collection (UK, 1975)
    2- Elvis' Christmas Album (1957)
    3- Elvis' Golden Records (1958)
    4- Elvis Country (1971)
    5- Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden (1972)
    --> 3 50's albums
    --> 2 70's lps
    --> no 60's music
    --> Rockabilly, Christmas, Rock, Country, Live

Conclusion: An aficionado for Rock and the real thing.

@DirkM 60's Top 5
    1- Elvis Is Back! (1960)
    2- Something For Everybody (1961)
    3- Pot Luck (1962)
    4- Girl Happy (1965)
    5- Elvis Aron Presley (1980 - CD3)
    --> 4 60's albums
    --> 1 vegas 69 / early 70's disc
    --> no 50's to be seen

Conclusion: A fan of the 60's craze.

@Shaker Steve eclectic Top 5
    1- Elvis Golden Records Vol 3 (1963)
    2- Elvis-That's The Way It Is (1970)
    3- A Boy From Tupelo (2017)
    4- Elvis- Rock N Roll No 2 (1956)
    5- Elvis Aron Presley (1980 - CD3)
    --> 2 50's collections
    --> 1 60's comp
    --> 2 early 70's selections

Conclusion: A Rock'n'roll / Vegas style fan.

@BigBadWolf in person Top 5
    1- Elvis (NBC tv special 1968)
    2- Aloha from Hawaii (1973)
    3- Golden Records 1 (1958)
    4- Golden Records 3 (1963)
    5- GI Blues (1960)
    --> 2 live albums
    --> 2 golden comps
    --> 1 movie soundtrack

Conclusion: A career-spanning lover.

@PepiJean head-scratching Top 5
    1- Elvis is back! (1960)
    2- King Creole (1958)
    3- The Sun Sessions (1976)
    4- Elvis' Golden Records (1958)
    5- Elvis' Gold Records vol.3 (1963)​

--> 3 50's albums (one published in the mid 70's but based solely on the Sun era)
    --> 2 early 60's outputs
    --> no 70's over here.

Conclusion: A first-golden-age Elvis lover.

RSteven, Shaker Steve, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

You'll Never Walk Alone

[​IMG]
    Compilation album by
    Elvis Presley
    Released
    March 22, 1971
    Genre Gospel
    Length 26:13
    Label RCA Camden

You'll Never Walk Alone is a compilation album by American singer and musician Elvis Presley, released in 1971 by RCA Records on their budget label, RCA Camden. The album contains primarily previously released gospel recordings by Presley dating back as far as 1957, plus two unreleased tracks.

The album reached number 69 on the Billboard 200 chart.[3] You'll Never Walk Alone was later re-released in 2006 as part of a reissue series of Elvis' RCA Camden budget albums. However, at the time this album was a big seller in the United Kingdom and reached a high position. It was certified Gold on March 27, 1992, Platinum on July 15, 1999, and 3x Platinum on January 6, 2004 by the Recording Industry Association of America.[4]

The single "You'll Never Walk Alone", an adaptation of the Oscar Hammerstein II and Richard Rodgers standard, was a minor hit for him in the late 1960s. Two previously unissued recordings are included: "Let Us Pray" from the soundtrack of Presley's 1969 film, Change of Habit and "Who Am I?", a leftover from the early-1969 recording sessions that produced his album From Elvis in Memphis.

The album is a companion to RCA-Camden's reissued version of Elvis' Christmas Album, as it contains the four gospel recordings from the original 1958 release of that album, which were omitted from RCA-Camden's 1970 reissue. The original 4 gospel songs were issued in 1957 as an RCA Victor EP titled "Peace in the Valley".

Although there would be further RCA-Camden Presley collections, this was the final release that featured previously unreleased tracks. RCA would later release several unissued recordings in its Elvis: A Legendary Performer series beginning in 1974.

The track listing below shows the songs as they appeared on the re-release of this album in 2006. The original L.P. released in 1971 included an additional song at the end of side 2, Swing Down Sweet Chariot, taken from Elvis' 1969 movie The Trouble With Girls.

Side one
    1. "You'll Never Walk Alone" Oscar Hammerstein II and Richard Rodgers September 11, 1967 2:45
    2. "Who Am I?" Rusty Goodman February 17, 1969 3:20
    3. "Let Us Pray" (from Change of Habit) Buddy Kaye and Ben Weisman March 5 & 6, 1969 3:01
    4. "(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley" Thomas A. Dorsey January 13, 1957 3:23
    5. "We Call on Him" Fred Karger, Sid Wayne and Ben Weisman September 10 & 11, 1967 2:33
    Side two
    1. "I Believe" Ervin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl and Al Stillman January 12, 1957 2:06
    2. "It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)" Stuart Hamblen January 19, 1957 3:55
    3. "Sing You Children" (from Easy Come, Easy Go) Fred Burch and Gerald Nelson September 28, 1966 2:14
    4. "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" Thomas A. Dorsey January 13, 1957 3:17
    5. "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" Traditional October 31, 1960 2:34
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I personally know nothing about this record. I compiles some singles previously unavailable on album previously, and some older track released several times before.
    The two previously unreleased songs are Let Us Pray and Who Am I. A leftover movie song, and an American Studios leftover.
    It is a strange melange of songs, but at this stage we're getting used to the Camden scenario, so there are no surprises there.

What do you think of this album guys, because I have nothing?

Cheers,
    Mark

Dave112 and D.B. like this.
  20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

You'll Never Walk Alone is my second-favourite Camden, and possibly my favourite Elvis gospel disc. The sequencing works a lot better than you'd think by just looking at the tracklisting, and you get every variety of Elvis gospel, from meditative (Who Am I?) to rapturous (Let Us Pray, Sing You Children) to purely spiritual (Peace In The Valley). Plus, I love the cover.

I first heard YNWA as part of a "Triple Features" release that also included the Burning Love and Separate Ways Camdens. I'm pretty sure those three CDs made up the majority of my listening time for a month or so, and I still love all of them.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. This is one Camden I've never had much interest in. I can't knock the quality of most of these songs, but it never really 'clicked' for me. It's one of those LPs I see perpetually when I go through the used Elvis bin at record stores, record shows or charity (Good Will etc.) shops.

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I remember seeing the vinyl version of You'll Never Walk Alone a lot in the record stores back in the 70's. I do really like the cover a lot, but for some reason I never bought the album. I think I did buy the 45 of the title track IIRC, but I could be confusing that with my purchase of Elvis's You Don't Know Me Single, which I definitely bought as I remember being displeased that the needle would come off the 45 right before those last couple of gorgeous notes from Floyd Crammer's piano.

23. SKATTERBRANE

Back in the day I was wondering what they were going to do with the gospel songs left off the Camden Christmas Album and soon I had the answer. For some reason while filling in non LP songs by buying EPs and singles a few titles slipped by me. If Every Day Was Like Christmas, You'll Never Walk Alone/We Call On Him were a couple of singles I was entirely unaware of. Reason being I got my single information from LP inner sleeves. And 1965 was the last inner sleeve edition that included singles. For some reason I was aware of Tell Me Why, Come What May, High Heel Sneakers and Fools Fall In Love. I do not recall.

The first NEW single I saw at the records store was Stay Away/US Male. And I kept a lookout from that point on. I suspect there may have been promotional record catalogs I acquired that may have informed me of singles between 1965 and 1968. But the Gold Standard Series sometimes is inconsistent about including EVERY back catalog item in a regular scheduled manner. So, I simply missed If Every Day Was Like Christmas and You'll Never Walk Alone.

All that to say this: All three of those songs came as a surprise to me when the Christmas and Gospel Camdens came out. Who Am I from the Memphis sessions was a new song for all of us here. And I was very glad to see the Change Of Habit track Let Us Pray included as I thought it was a terrific song.

Swing Down Sweet Chariot is not on the original LP nor CD. And I am unaware of any version of You'll Never Walk Alone that includes Swing Down Sweet Chariot.

DirkM, artfromtex, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  24. Thinking a bit more on the You'll Never Walk Alone LP, I'm surprised that Sing You Children was included. I guess it does have biblical references but - certainly in regards to the rest of side 2 - seems the odd one out. More interestingly, I can't believe someone at RCA even had the memory of this song being recorded and the slight connection to religious material! But hey, it had only been on an EP previously so maybe that's where they got the notion (looking over the files to see what had been on an EP or single only before). And the song has made the very occasional reappearance on other gospel comps.

The timing was also questionable considering the He Touched Me LP was released a year later; did this LP affect sales of that one, considering the same theme? Elvis recorded much of He Touched Me in May, 1971 so was that LP held back at all due to this Camden LP?

Iceman08, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  25. mark winstanley

Interesting.
    More weird adventures in the Elvis album catch and release program lol

Shawn and RSteven like this.