Elvis Presley - The best albums (poll) + best versions to get (2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Sep 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

As we have been doing the Elvis Presley discography for the last couple of years, and everybody involved has had a chance to revisit all the albums, EP's and Singles. I would like to do a poll to get an idea of what everybody thinks are the best albums.

I am going to give everyone seven choices and I would really like everyone to also comment with what they think are the best versions of the albums .... a particular record pressing, a particular cd pressing, the legacy editions, the FTD 7" extended and all that kind of thing. I get asked questions about this kind of thing, but I am not an audiophile, and although I have more Elvis than any other artist, I am not generally one to buy multiple copies of an album and I know the guys in the Elvis threads, know all this stuff ....

There are a lot of Elvis Albums, so this will end up being a few polls, over a few months

1 - The Studio Albums
    2 - The Soundtrack Albums
    3 - Compilations and Live Albums
    4 - A selection of Special sets

When we have been through these four, I will make a final poll with the top five from each category, in order to try and make an essential Elvis collection list for folks who may be interested, with the best versions to get.

Here we have the soundtrack albums. Much maligned by many, but undoubtedly there are some excellent albums, and even where the albums are a bit shady there is still excellent material on them.

The EP's are at the end, and for example, Viva Las Vegas, will probably be in my list, but it will be the full album recently released on FTD. I don't really understand why a full album wasn't forthcoming originally....

So just have a bit of fun with it, and let us know what your favourite soundtracks are, and where you have some opinion on it, the best versions of those albums.

Note: Loving You is near the end, and Tickle Me removed ... apologies. Limitations, and a posting error

Cheers
    Mark

For anyone interested in browsing the Elvis Albums Threads here is a link to the latest thread guide

2. mark winstanley

I Went For

Loving You
    King Creole
    Jailhouse Rock
    Fun In Acapulco
    Roustabout
    Spinout
    Viva Las Vegas

I go with the FTD's because I just like the way they are put together.

For Viva Las Vegas I love the extended FTD release, it sounds awesome and represent the album the way it should have been released in the first place, in my opinion.

3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I've gone for:

1. Loving You
    2. Jailhouse Rock
    3. King Creole
    4. GI Blues
    5. Follow that Dream EP
    6. Viva Las Vegas
    7. Double Trouble

RCA Complete Albums Collection for 1, 3 (the addition of Danny as a bonus track, a song recorded for the film but not used works well), 4, and 7. #6 from the Perfect Soundtracks box. #5 as part of the Flaming Star/Wild in the Country/Follow that Dream CD to get the other early 60s movie eps with bonus tracks. I don't have #2 as a standalone release, but of course the tracks are scattered over a few of the discs in the Albums Collection box.

4. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

My choice...

Loving You - FTD Version.
    King Creole - FTD Version.
    Jailhouse Rock - FTD Version both volumes, if you don't mind!
    G.I. Blues - FTD Version, once again both volumes, if you don't mind!
    Blue Hawaii - FTD Version.
    Spinout - FTD Version.
    Viva Las Vegas - FTD The "Viva Las Vegas" Sessions version.

A special mention has to be given to the 'RCA Album Collection' versions & 'Elvis: The Movie Soundtracks (2015 20 Albums box) versions.

Okay, wait a minute 'Viva Elvis'? o_O

:winkgrin:

5. mark winstanley

I don't know what that is to be honest. I guess we haven't got to it yet?

6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Get the 20 CD box The Movie Soundtracks and Have A Happy (Have A Happy must be purchased separately. Offer not valid in VT, WI and some counties in GA).

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  7. mark winstanley

It's a Circ Du Soleil thing :sigh:

RSteven and When In Rome like this.
  8. When In Rome

I wondered if it was but figured Mark wouldn't include that, shurely it's a little mistake. I fear that option may suffer the 'C'mon Everybody' fate of unlovedness somehow... :D

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  9. mark winstanley

That would be such a shame lol

I wish I had left Tickle Me in now ...

When In Rome likes this.
  10. When In Rome

Hey, can't win 'em all!
    Thanks for these threads by the way, I'm enjoying them... :righton:

11. The bonus tracks are going to make this tough, because of them I’m considering Clambake.

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  12. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Sorry I could only pick 5 from the list....too much subpar material in the other soundtracks. There have been some movie comps which are good, picking the jewels from dreck. But the soundtracks from the first handful of movies are essential.

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

It's all good mate.
    I leave the seven option in, because there are so many albums, and also there are incredibly broad and differing views on what is good and what isn't...
    You can only vote with your heart

docwebb likes this.
  14. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

1. King Creole
    2. G. I. Blues
    3. It Happened At The World's Fair
    4. Jailhouse Rock
    5. Follow That Dream
    6. Viva Las Vegas
    7. Loving You

I hope at some point that the "This Is Elvis" soundtrack is included. I know it's a love it or hate it release among fans but I spin it often.

15. mark winstanley

The soundtracks really aren't that bad folks.
    Two or three could easily make it into an Elvis top top.... give us your votes :)

16. Loving You
    King Creole
    Viva Las Vegas (the complete sessions as presented by FTD)
    Harum Scarum
    Spinout
    Clambake
    Speedway

This is a tough poll as I could easily substitute a number of titles I didn’t vote for (like Fun In Acapulco, Roustabout and Kid Galahad) for some of the ones I did.

17. elmahranbird

elmahranbird Forum Resident

My list in kind of descending order:
    King Creole - FTD Vinyl - Contains Thorne Nogar's The Mono Monitor Mixes
    Jailhouse Rock - Audio Fidelity (mastered by Kevin Gray)
    Loving You - FTD CD
    GI Blues - Original US Vinyl
    Viva Las Vegas - FTD Vinyl
    Follow That Dream
    Kid Galahad - FTD CD

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Loving You - 2005 remaster
    Jailhouse Rock - Jailhouse Rock Vol. 2 FTD
    King Creole - Original album master: AF Hybrid SACD - Mixes with less compression and reverb: The cd in The Album Collection or the hi-res version.
    Blue Hawaii - U.S. Living Stereo vinyl or the FTD cd
    Kid Galahad - FTD sessions set
    Viva Las Vegas - FTD sessions set

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yes. FTD's Jailhouse Rock V2 (and V1) are brilliant! For the masters go for V2.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  20. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Wanted to stay away from choosing the EPs but that was difficult since we are talking about Elvis Presley. :winkgrin:

King Creole
    Loving You
    Spinout
    Roustabout
    GI Blues
    Girls Girls Girls
    Viva Las Vegas (extended)

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I love all your picks and your alternative choices as well. My favorite choice you made was Harum Scarum. Well that takes a lot of guts and fine musical taste and you have both my friend. My top seven mirrors your one's pretty closely.

King Creole
    Jailhouse Rock
    GI Blues
    Viva Las Vegas (FTD Sessions Set)
    Roustabout
    Clambake
    Loving You

mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  22. mark winstanley

23. mark winstanley

Watching Fun In Acapulco.... first time.
    Great soundtrack, not sure about the movie. We'll see :)

RSteven likes this.
  24. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

Jailhouse Rock
    King Creole
    GI Blues
    Loving You
    Viva Las Vegas
    Girls,Girls,Girls

I am absolutely astonished that Jailhouse Rock is only at 62%! Seems like it would be 90%

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  25. mark winstanley

That's fair, but there are actually a lot of good soundtracks. For some they probably think of it as just an EP?

RSteven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.